Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rotating clean house linen

(83 Posts)
grandMattie Fri 22-Apr-16 09:56:06

As I was putting the clean linen away this morning, it struck me that I am following my mother's system (and, presumably, my grandmother''s, ad infinitum) of putting the most recent clean bedding at the bottom of the pile, and taking the top one off or vice versa.
I have never understood this - surely if you do that, all your 'stuff' (bedding, table cloths, tea towels, etc.) wears out at the same rate and at the same time. The replacement of the whole lot would then be prohibitive Is it a sort of puritanical thing of keeping your favourite for 'best' or what?

2old4hotpants Sat 23-Apr-16 19:34:29

Phew, that's a relief

mischief Sat 23-Apr-16 20:10:06

I only have two sets of bedding per bed and two sets of towels per person. One in use and one in the wash. Loads of tea towels though.

One extra question Gransnetters - does anyone else iron their bedding and towels? Or is it just me.

wot Sat 23-Apr-16 20:12:37

I iron my duvet covers, tea towels and pillowcases. The fitted sheets I just roll up

granjura Sat 23-Apr-16 21:07:54

Hate ironing- but love getting in a crisp clean bed with freshly ironed sheets, duvet and pillow cases- so I do ...

rubysong Sat 23-Apr-16 21:31:10

I never iron towels but I do iron all the bedding. It is lovely getting into bed with clean, ironed bedding. My late MIL used to iron everything including face cloths.

annifrance Sat 23-Apr-16 23:22:56

This is so sad. I do have a 'bedding' system but am too busy stuffing mushrooms to explain it.

fiorentina51 Sat 23-Apr-16 23:36:01

I carefully rotate my bedlinen and towels too. I have a large airing cupboard and have to do a balancing act in order to put the various piles in order. This is now getting more difficult as it means me climbing onto a shelf (honest!) This was easy 40 years ago but age is taking its toll! I realise all this faffing about it totally ridiculous but I was brainwashed by my mum. I am in recovery though and hope to break the habit by the time I hit 70. ?