Gransnet forums

AIBU

Two year old walking behind mummy on a main rd

(55 Posts)
Nannyjay68 Mon 06-Jun-16 21:31:21

AIBU to think that its wrong for a two year old child to be walking at least 20 paces behind mum whilst mum is pushing an empty pushchair on a busy m ain rd with lots of traffic?,have parenting skills really changed so much?I am. all for little ones having a bit of independence,but really.

Jalima1108 Thu 27-Jul-17 14:14:22

Those little backpacks with a rein attached are very good; they can carry their own little drink and snack in them too and they don't look like the old-fashioned reins.

jenpax Thu 27-Jul-17 22:54:45

In response to the comment about tots without socks.My eldest daughter as a baby and a toddler hated anything on her feet, she pulled socks and shoes off and kicked away blankets. It didn't matter if it was cold or raining, she still did it. I lost count of the number of lost shoes and booties as well as socks we suffered in her tiny years! in the end we gave up and she did not suffer from hypothermia! She is now a professional woman in her 30's with two small daughters of her own! So before you judge parents with sockless infants please consider that!

valeriej43 Fri 28-Jul-17 10:15:42

This struck a chord with me, my son had a friend who had a little boy about 4 years old, and a young baby,only a few weeks old
One day they were walking across a busy main road,the little boy tagging behind, the mum further back with baby in pram
All of a sudden a motorbike came tearing down the road, hit little boy then carreered acros the road nd hit baby in the prahe was in , both children died
The mother had a breakdown, and the father tried to commit suicide several times,and was in and out of mental hospital all his life after that
The couple split up, the mother met someone else and had another baby
The father bacame an alcoholic, and i heard a few weeks ago he was dead,not sure if its true, but can easily believe it
How does someone cope with that,
All because he wasnt holding the childs hand across a busy road

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Jul-17 11:08:17

Aargh! Another resurrected old thread! I'm going to have to start looking at the original date before reading. I was working through the first page and was about to comment on Shinyredcar's experience before I saw that I already had, last year. It doesn't say much for my memory, does it?