Gransnet forums

AIBU

Primary literacy ...split digraphs

(66 Posts)
Nandalot Thu 23-Jun-16 12:52:48

AIBU to be concerned that my DG, just turned five, has come come home and is proudly talking about 'split digraphs'? (Not wholly correctly as it happens.) I just feel that too much emphasis is being placed on the technicalities of language at too young an age. She loves writing and enjoys spending time writing pages and pages. She might occasionally ask for a spelling but often she goes for the phonetic spelling. I rarely correct her as I don't want to blunt her enthusiasm. Her twin brother is more interested in his cars than writing. Though he does like writing signs for his car park. I really wonder how much he is getting from learning about split digraphs or if he is being turned off by the emphasis on technicalities.
I have no complaints about the primary school they attend, rather the curriculum they are forced to follow.

grandMattie Fri 24-Jun-16 10:37:44

proper terminology

albertina Fri 24-Jun-16 10:54:43

There is a time for children to learn these terms, and the Primary stage is not the right time.

As a long retired Primary school teacher with a nine year old Granddaughter I am horrified by the way joy has been sucked out of education for the young and replaced by a ghastly sausage machine full of tired and disillusioned teachers dealing with tick boxes, targets and SATS.

Nonnie1 Fri 24-Jun-16 11:18:49

Split Di gaff

'leave da house'

trisher Fri 24-Jun-16 11:20:34

It is part of the teaching of literacy that uses phonetics to teach. It means that in order to understand a split digraph a child needs to understand a digraph- 2 vowels that make a sound e.g. ee or ea or ie. A split digraph then needs another letter or sound inserted between the 2. It is probably enjoyed by your GD because it is taught quite often in a practical session where 1 child holding a card inserts themselves between the 2 who are the digraph.Children really enjoy this. But a lot liked the 'magic e' as well. I always think anything that works is OK. Of course English isn't a phonetic language- but that's another argument!!

TriciaF Fri 24-Jun-16 11:44:42

Many very young children learn to read quickly and just absorb the digraphs etc. That would be the "look and say" method.
Then they would have to learn the letter combinations when it comes to spelling.

Larrymin47 Fri 24-Jun-16 11:57:18

I am a retired teacher, also head teacher. I was horrified that my 5 yr old grand daughter was using phonics trying to 'sound' out 'fire fighters' so I said the words to her. She looked very patiently at me and said 'Yes Grandma I know what it says but I have to sound it as well as reading it'. Out of the mouths of babes.......

GranE Fri 24-Jun-16 12:03:15

Five year olds are like sponges - they absorb whatever is offered to them in class provided that they enjoy it. We should give credit to teachers' ability to provide fun, informative and appropriate lessons. They are the professionals. Primary school classes are far richer and very different from those which most of us experienced. What was good(?) for us is not necessarily good for today's Year 1 children. My 5 year old grandson loves his phonetics lessons and proudly (and correctly) explained split digraphs to me a few months ago.

Anya Fri 24-Jun-16 12:33:08

Absolutely GranE

Bluecat Fri 24-Jun-16 13:25:25

The Gradgrind approach to education seems to have taken over the entire system, from primary school to university. My friend, a recently retired FE teacher, speaks wearily of the fact that there is now only one way to read a text, one set of key words which must be included in an answer, and absolutely no original thought whatsoever...

As for the children, I was surprised when my granddaughter started in Year One and the teacher announced they would be learning to use terms such as "adjectives" and "adverbs". Wouldn't it be helpful to get them all reading fluently, before you start worrying about grammatical terms? Bearing in mind that some 5 year olds are struggling to read at all.

grandMattie Fri 24-Jun-16 17:05:01

When I was a child, I was brought up speaking/reading/writing both French and English. English in the morning, French in the afternoon - we were all bilingual, so it wasn't a problem. The thing was that in English, it was "look and learn" and you learned grammar without any real terms or rules, whilst in French, we had it all drilled into us. OK, sometimes it wasn't fun, but I remember my French grammar much better than the English one. I don't really remember English grammar other than punctuation and collective nouns! grin. The French stuff on the other hand is stuck in my head, and is very helpful when learning Spanish when I was 60 onward...

grandMattie Fri 24-Jun-16 17:05:45

Forgot - what is different to the children today? Why do they need to enjoy everything. As a teacher myself, I have tried to make it enjoyable, but sometimes one just has to learn stuff.

watermeadow Fri 24-Jun-16 18:53:00

I could never help my grandchildren with homework because everything I knew now has a new name, usually a multi- syllable nonsense word which means nothing.
Apparently 10 year olds now have to learn all the formal grammar which was dropped when I was 10. You don't need to know the made- up names of every sort of word in order to write good English. We all learned to speak without this gobbledegook and without it children might have time to learn more valuable stuff.

Luckygirl Fri 24-Jun-16 19:30:16

Sometimes children do just need to learn stuff, I agree. But some of the stuff they are now required to learn benefits them not one jot.

Bluecat Fri 24-Jun-16 21:44:49

Well, I agree with Dr Seuss - "Children want the same things we want. To laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained and delighted." I would far rather that a child could read "Green Eggs and Ham" to me with real understanding and pleasure than that they could analyse its grammar. Plenty of time to learn formal terms and grammatical rules when they are older. Considerably older! When they are very young, let them learn to read freely and immerse themselves in books. The pleasure of reading is a lifelong gift.

Deedaa Fri 24-Jun-16 21:59:30

When I was learning Italian I soon saw that they paid more attention to grammar than we do, but they didn't drag in all the stuff that schools are teaching now. I have yet to meet a teacher who thinks it is anything but but a waste of time and aimed at getting a good review from Ofsted.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jun-16 22:41:12

What's wrong with saying magic e? Why use complicated split thingamebobs? Can anyone recommend a book giving all these new posh names?

Nandalot Fri 24-Jun-16 22:49:48

Pleased some of you agree with me. Also, Larrymin, I find the same with reading with my DGD , she keeps sounding out the word she knows well. I thought it was probably to do with the phonetics teaching. I think there is a place for phonetics teaching but look and say has its place too.
Re the emphasis on grammar in other language teaching, most other languages are far more regular than ours so with fewer exceptions to the grammar rules they are easier to understand and absorb.

Greenfinch Fri 24-Jun-16 22:54:19

DGD1 said her homework was to write a passage containing causal connectors. I assume she meant because etc.We used to call these types of words conjunctions which covered all joining words

Deedaa Sat 25-Jun-16 21:55:36

Did Dickens, the Brontes or Jane Austen use causal connectors or did they manage to cope without having to make up names for things?

Nandalot Sun 26-Jun-16 10:05:52

Interesting talk on "A Point of View' today on Radio 4 with A.L. Kennedy. (Amongst all the other interesting things going on now. She is against his very grammar based approach to language teaching at primary school level, this focus on the mechanics rather than the meaning and feeling. Also made an interesting link to the Referendum and the slogan writers.

Marmark1 Sun 26-Jun-16 18:54:18

Crumbs! Mine will have to go to their other gran because I don't have a clue what split whatsits are.

grannylyn65 Sat 30-Jul-16 20:16:40

Despite at excelling at English 100 years ago, have never ever heard of a digigraph , split or otherwise blush

grannylyn65 Sat 30-Jul-16 20:29:03

Can't even spell it !

Deedaa Sat 30-Jul-16 22:13:10

When we reached the last day of term, and GS1 who is autistic was looking forward to 6 weeks of not having to go to school, DD said she had never looked forward to the holidays so much even when she was at school herself. Decided there will be no spelling or grammar practice at home.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Aug-16 15:30:07

well b..... me I passed my English Lang and English Lit O level and studied A although didnt stay on long enough to take it and had never heard of a split whatsit Amazed I could get through life without it

Has anyone seen the way they teach small ones simple maths nowadays or maybe its changed again but the multiplication and division were so blooming complicated with loops and jumps and such a long convoluted methos twice as difficult as the way we did it