Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hairdresser pushing the sale of hair are products!

(71 Posts)
Linsco56 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:22:47

All I wanted was a cut and blow dry but oh no! According to my hairdresser I needed a new type of conditioner and a new formula heat protection spray. She wanted me to talk her through my hair care regime and was horrified when I said I was using baby shampoo as most others stripped the natural oils from my hair. "Really!!! but you know you're not a baby" followed by laughter. "I use what works best for me, thank you anyway". She then went on to say my hair needed some root lift powder and proceeded to try and sell me that. "No thank you, just a cut and blow dry please". No to be put off her stride she tried to sell my a new styling brush and again I heard myself saying, no thank you just a cut and blow dry...I was exhausted by the end of it. She is the owner of a small salon and I can understand she wants to increase income as much as possible but IMO she will lose clients if she keeps this up. Who wants to run the gauntlet of pressure salesmanship when they visit a hair salon.

Purpledaffodil Wed 06-Jul-16 21:08:03

Cut and blow dry with highlights, £92. And that is with. 10% off for being an oap. Better get your hair done before you come to Surrey *Granjura. smile

annsixty Wed 06-Jul-16 21:13:43

You are all far better off than me!!

ajanela Wed 06-Jul-16 21:27:23

I pay €55 for cut, colour and blow dry and I live in one of the most expensive areas of Portugal. You can convert that according to how the market is responding to Brexit but a lot less than some of the prices you are quoting. She will only mention products if I ask. Might ask if I want my nails or eyebrows done if the beautician is available. I will make sure I get my hair done before I visit the UK.

grannyqueenie Thu 07-Jul-16 01:53:14

And me annsixty ! I pay £21 every 6-8 weeks for a wash and good cut, minimal drying required as it's quite short and no colouring needed as I'm happy with my natural highlights salt and pepper verging towards silver look. I was flattered last week when a young mum at the toddler group where I volunteer wanted to know where I had it cut!

mumofmadboys Thu 07-Jul-16 02:13:11

I go to the salon with my hair washed.Cut and dry costs £12.

goose1964 Thu 07-Jul-16 11:30:58

last time I had my hair cut it was £27 (last Nov) I thought that was extortionate, no attempt to sell any product

varian Thu 07-Jul-16 12:18:51

I wash and dry my hair then go to a hairdresser who trims it dry for £6.75.I usually leave quite a generous tip which I can afford to do as I only go to the hairdressers four or five times per year. In between I sometimes trim it myself but it can look a bit lopsided.

Elegran Thu 07-Jul-16 12:46:43

I have just cut mine. It cost nothing, I reckon that I spend less than 50p a year on hairstyling.

At least twentyfive years ago I bought electric clippers to cut DH's hair. He had lovely thick wavy hair (but it thinned out considerably as time went on!) I liked it to be long enough for the waves to show, but barbers seemed to favour the "short back and sides".

I used to get my own done in a succession of salons. The first cut was always great, but subsequent ones were never as good, and they didn't listen when I told them what I wanted. I seemed to be always chopping bits off here and there to get it to look right.

Then I discovered that the longest setting on the clippers, number 14 or 40mm, was good for cutting my own, and I have used it every couple of weeks ever since. I trim the front edge with comb and scissors, then use the clippers to get the sides, crown and back to an even length. When washed it just needs towelling dry and pushing into shape.

SusanCh Thu 07-Jul-16 13:37:52

I think I pay about £18ish at the village hairdressers. Just a basic cut and blow, no fancy shampoo or conditioner. When I asked her about using a shampoo for grey hair, she gave me a bottle to try. I do moan about her sometimes, perhaps I shouldn't, knowing what other people pay.

kittylester Thu 07-Jul-16 15:36:22

£40 ish for a trim and blow dry. £80 ish for highlights and trim and blow dry.

Neversaydie Fri 08-Jul-16 09:47:42

W Midlands £65 for cut, blowdry and roots My haidressser works from home
I used to go to him at local salon where it was £120 (5 years ago)When I retired decided that was ridiculous and started going to local salon Was ok but never such a good cut and was still about £55 .Found out hairdresssr had set up on his own so..
He never pushes expensive products as he doesn't sell them and told me as I have it coloured regularly (every five weks or so)I don't really to worry about the fancy shampoos that preserve the colour although he says they are good if you leave it a long time .
He does say higher end shampoos are gentler on the hair though
I stay with my DD in London quiite a lot and find the water does horrible things to my hair Tried soaking it in Argan oil during a steamy bath and it really helped the condition

Gaggi3 Fri 08-Jul-16 09:54:18

Really intrigued by your mention of discussing WW1 with hairdresser, aggie, tell us more.

edsnana Fri 08-Jul-16 09:56:37

I pay £25 for cut, wash and blow dry and £55 for colour, never get pressured or even offered any products. We have a nice chat and she does a great job. I guess we all just need to find someone we're happy with and stick to them!

bowleaze Fri 08-Jul-16 09:56:47

I pay £28.50 for a cut and blow every 5-6 weeks seems I'm doing allright compared to other ladies here!1 Also get a coffee and sometimes a muffin if there are not too many in that morning and also cheered up by my hairdresser she is so lovely and funny - the price I pay is for anyone as i'm not yet a pensioner!!

David1968 Fri 08-Jul-16 10:04:46

I go to the local FE college training salon where they train students. It's managed by the qualified tutors and I've never had such good hair care! It costs me about £20 for a head of highlights plus cut and blow-dry. (Would cost a bit more without getting the "over 60s" discount! ) The drawbacks are that it can take a while and they are only open at certain times. Also it's nearly always a different student doing my hair, and you have to understand that it's a training environment. The "pluses" are the low price and the real care of my hair. It's on a tutor's advice that I have highlights and not "full colour" as I want to let the grey show. The tutors monitor what's happening and they don't let you have anything that they think might damage your hair. It's a nice environment and I find it interesting and fun to be amongst the young people. Worth a try?

NanaK Fri 08-Jul-16 10:06:25

I developed Alopecia Universalis 5 years ago and have no hair on my head now - hadn't realised how lucky I was not to have this stress in my life, lol

Beammeupscottie Fri 08-Jul-16 10:15:49

My hairdresser gives me little sample sachets of what he thinks I should use; then it is up to me. What I found to be a useful tip was not to wash your hair too much if you have colour and highlights; ageing hair doesn't need it. The new dry shampoos are good, I find. I use products called "Sexy Hair" which I find very embarrassing when lined up on my bathroom shelf to be gawped at by my grandchildren, or the a changing room sharers.

carol49cat Fri 08-Jul-16 10:21:17

I'm with varian. Dry cut costs me £15 with tip every 8 weeks. Can't see the point in paying someone to wash and dry it - washed in the shower and dried upside down in less than 5 minutes. I recently asked to buy a large comb and they offered to order one as they don't sell them!

Annofarabia Fri 08-Jul-16 10:25:56

That's why I haven't been to the hairdresser for a few years. They talk to you in such a patronising way. I have coloured my hair for 30 years as its so expensive but have also cut it myself in recent years. I went last year to a hairdresser in a nearby town thinking they would make me look really nice but the girl was horrified that I had been cutting my hair myself and said I had cut 'beneath the curl' and that was why my hair was such a mess! No friend or family member has ever realised that I cut it myself!

Nelliemaggs Fri 08-Jul-16 10:56:44

I'm shocked at what you can have to pay.
I go on a pensioner day, with clean hair from my shower at the gym where I swim. The hairdresser dampens my hair, cuts it and finishes with a blow dry and all for £13. I am a Londoner, though she is not, and she is the most expert cutter I ever encountered. She speaks good English but doesn't chat and works at great speed. Before I found her I paid £12 for a dry cut at a wholly English staffed local hairdresser so nationality plays no part in the cheapness. Neither of them have ever tried to persuade me to buy any products. Perhaps they think I am past it.

Belleringer Fri 08-Jul-16 11:02:41

My hairdresser has just put his price up to £85 for a cut and blow dry. This isn't in London but in a small country town. I was going to stop going, however I have very thin fine hair which I find impossible to manage and he is the only person who has ever given me a decent cut, so I am gritting my teeth, saving up my pension and sticking with him. However, I don't tip him! And he doesn't try to sell me products, but gives me free samples if he thinks they will suit my hair.

Bijou Fri 08-Jul-16 11:45:53

I haven't been to the hair dressers for more than fifty years. My hair is thick and grows very quickly. I cut it every other week, wash it once a week in any shampoo, use a little Vitapoint and put in soft rollers every other night. Am often complimented on it. Before I decided to let it be grey I coloured it. Think of of all the money I have saved!!!!

Cagsy Fri 08-Jul-16 12:25:41

Fourormore I'm so jealous of your wash and go hair, mine is so straight and fine I have to put loads of velcro rollers in every time I wash it. It's short hair with blonde hi lights and does look OK when I do it but is a total mess by the next day.
Linsco56 I wouldn't go back to that salon, suggesting a product might be good for your hair is fine but not pushing for sales like that. My hairdresser is now mobile so she just turns up, does what I ask, has a cup of coffee and goes on her way & we're both very happy smile

Helmsley444 Fri 08-Jul-16 12:30:20

My hairdresser is a man.Every five weeeks i ho and get my roots done then a shampoo cut and blow.It costs 62.00.Plus a tip on top.He keeps telling me off for not coming in sooner.He only wants the 62.09 more freqently.And its a struggle for me to find it every five weeks let alone more frequently.

Jaxie Fri 08-Jul-16 12:53:31

Does anyone else feel patronised by glamorous young hair dressers ( or stylists as they would prefer to be known) ? Sometimes they make feel as if I were speaking Swahili for all they appear to understand my instructions. I look like cone head if they cut short layers into my crown, but they never listen. OK they pouf it up with " products" so it looks ok when I leave the salon,but the next day my hair looks awful. I'm not asking for miracles, just not old lady hair. I may be 73 but nothing I wear or say would lead someone to identify me as a frump. I live in a tiny town so this salon is the best of a bad lot. This is how I should like to look, ( I have slightly curly fine hair) but it never happens.