Gransnet forums

AIBU

to object to how much TV coverage the Olympics are getting?

(128 Posts)
Craftycat Tue 02-Aug-16 19:52:49

I've just looked at next week's Radio Times & in a nutshell BBC are showing nothing but the Olympics all day & every day!OK-I'm not a big fan of watching people run, jump, row etc & I appreciate a lot of people love it BUT does it have to be blanket coverage! There are only a few odd programmes on BBC 4 later every evening not sport related.
We've only just had all that dratted football- luckily we were abroad for the last 2 weeks of it- but it does seem as if sport is the be all & end all these days. Now I love my rugby (2 hours a week on an outside channel during winter months if we are lucky)& I quite like men's tennis so watch a bit of Wimbledon (not on 2 channels at the same time).
However IMHO this is far too much. I never usually watch commercial TV live but record it & whizz through adverts but I may resort to watching it live for 2 weeks.
Luckily I have some very good books on my Kindle too.
Roll on the closing ceremony- I do like a bit of samba!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Aug-16 20:54:27

this evening. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Aug-16 20:53:51

I've been finding it surprisingly enjoyable. Watched Andy win his match his vining. And the clever 'issues doing their thing. smile

Then I had my own little Olympics, getting up from the sofa, no hands. Did it in seven. [proud]

Jane10 Fri 12-Aug-16 20:48:01

Am still profoundly unimpressed. There are plenty of other sports and activities that are more beneficial than riding round and round in circles on a bike! Think you've all been brainwashed!

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Aug-16 20:30:14

Yes, I'm happy with my lottery spends going to promote sport - it might as well do somebody some good as none of it ever comes back to me grin DD1 commented yesterday that when she watches the Olympics she always imagines that she could have been a gold medal winner in one of the less popular sports if she'd ever tried them. I was just thinking the same thing - I coulda been a contender (well, a girl can dream, can't she?).

Jalima Fri 12-Aug-16 20:23:21

and, as GandTea says, it has encouraged so many more people to take up cycling - and other sports.

If money does come from central Government, then I think that is a good thing too, because it is not just the Olympic entrants who benefit, it is for the benefit of so many young people.

Jalima Fri 12-Aug-16 20:20:59

Jane10 I think the money comes from Lottery funding, not from the taxpayer.
I may be wrong, but I am quite happy about that (although I only buy a lottery ticket once in a blue moon).
I think it is only since the Lottery funded these sports that Great Britain has done better and achieved more medals.

Anything that encourages our young people to pursue a sport, achieve their potential must be good imo.

GandTea Fri 12-Aug-16 20:13:39

It's team pursuit, not trivial pursuit. You would need to know exactly what that £30m was spent on, and who had donated it to be constructively critical Many people have taken up cycling as a result of the Olympics.

Jane10 Fri 12-Aug-16 19:19:08

I was horrified to hear on the news tonight that British cycling have had £30 million invested in getting a handful of people riding their bikes in a circle faster than others. I can't believe that so much money was spent on such a trivial pursuit.
I'm sure some people will be down on me like a ton of bricks but all I can think is that the emperor is in the altogether again!
That money could have been spent on much more worthwhile causes. angry

annodomini Fri 12-Aug-16 17:16:14

The BBC is doing a fine job with its coverage and, after all, there are a good many other channels available, especially if you have a smart TV. I like watching sport, seeing feats I could never dream of accomplishing. Now I am watching Jess and Kat in the heptathlon high jump. Such supreme athletes. How would you feel if your grandchild was competing. I know I'd be bursting with pride and I am sure the parents and grandparents of these young people are either in Rio or glued to their TV sets at home,

merlotgran Fri 12-Aug-16 16:34:50

I'm enjoying the coverage but I'm sick to death of DH moaning, 'There's nobody there!!'

Yes. I know there a loads of empty seats but he says it every flippin time. angry

Jane10 Fri 12-Aug-16 14:13:33

Say you've had a power cut/not paid your tv licence/lost the handset?

Craftycat Fri 12-Aug-16 14:13:03

The upside is that I have read a good few excellent books with a glass or 2 of wine in the garden in the evenings since the Olympics started. Always an avid reader anyway. Only another week to go now. I did watch a bit of cycling & diving I will probably watch Ussain Bolt & Mo Farah. If they are on before midnight anyway. I am feeling sorry for those who enjoy all this stuff as if you don't want to stay up all night you have to avoid every news report as you will hear the results of everything first thing in the morning before you get to your recording.Plus the way they seem to switch between channels & it must be difficult to record what you want to see.

BlueBelle Fri 12-Aug-16 09:09:33

haha Jane 10 wouldn't work they have left husband behind so he will be glued to them to over tDon't get me wrong I like them and am enjoying their company just would like to get away from swimming gymnasts rowing etc etc for periods of time

Jane10 Fri 12-Aug-16 08:43:15

Seeing they've come to your house Blue could you go and stay in theirs for an Olympic free zone?

BlueBelle Fri 12-Aug-16 08:14:46

Well I ve had extended family come to stay unexpected for the week and they love the Olympics so it's on on on I can't escape ....helpppppp

petra Fri 12-Aug-16 08:00:11

I would like to point out that only Hungary is ahead of us in the whole of the EUs 28 countries. Not bad, eh

gettingonabit Wed 10-Aug-16 22:55:41

What a fantastic day it's been. So pleased for Whitlock getting the first men's gym medal in 98 years.

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-Aug-16 21:45:23

It's been a great day. The young athletes are awe-inspiring, and their joy and pride is uplifting. So different from some of the pampered divas in football.

merlotgran Wed 10-Aug-16 21:42:56

Well done the diving and kayaking golds and all the medals won today.

tanith Wed 10-Aug-16 21:29:56

So enjoyed all that's been shown today Kayaking Gold and Diving Gold plus several bronze GO TEAM GB. What an inspiration these athletes are for our youngsters.

Pittcity Wed 10-Aug-16 21:17:33

Just watched GB winning gold in syncro diving.
Worth it just for the eye candy!

Pigglywiggly Wed 10-Aug-16 17:25:00

We doof watch the gymnastics last night but Matt Baker spent a lot of time apologising that the BBC has no control over what is covered hmm
Totally agree about the amount of sports cover during the news angry

Ivanova5 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:25:48

I hate all the coverage sport receives. It's the be-all and end-all to TV companies. It saves them having to make decent progs. And then there's some of the most appalling American crap that's on. Dance Moms, anyone. Five minutes of this whilst flicking through channels, and I felt my brain atrophy! There truly is some rubbish out there!

rockgran Tue 09-Aug-16 18:46:36

I hate sport and SO don't care who can run fastest etc. I appreciate the efforts of those involved but I really don't want to watch them. It may be only every four years but when you add up all the other sports coverage it is a giant chunk of TV all the time. I really wish I liked it so that I could get my money's worth. Thank goodness for the craft channels! (Mind you, I did find myself reading about their spangled costumes!)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 09-Aug-16 18:38:24

It's on the World Service during the night too. hmm