Gransnet forums

AIBU

Mums on their phones

(106 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 02-Aug-16 21:52:40

I'm seeing this all the time.
Mum with a buggy gets on the bus, sits down, gets her phone out and spends the whole journey ignoring her child as she is gossiping on the phone. The child tries to speak to the mum but is ignored. You see it everywhere, in parks, cafes, on trains. Don't mothers speak to their children any more? Don't they look out the window and show the child interesting things outside? I used to do that. The children are not learning communication skills at all as the mums are not interested.
Don't bother speaking to your kid, give him a pack of wotsits to keep him quiet till you get home and stick him in front of the telly. So sad.

LumpySpacedPrincess Fri 05-Aug-16 22:00:49

Posted too soon! They may have been judged as looking at their screens instead of parenting. They weren't they were all having a great time.

SueDonim Fri 05-Aug-16 22:25:12

I agree with YoungerGeneration. I'm sure there are parents (why single out just the mums??) who overuse phones/technology and ignore their children but that's happened in every generation of parents. I remember my own mum complaining about XYZ's children who were always roaming the streets causing trouble!

I think most parents do a good job, at least, the young families that I know are. It's not necessary to be perfect, good enough is fine. smile

moonbeames Sat 06-Aug-16 08:59:26

I don't think that anyone is condemning anyone. We all know or should know if we have had children that the role of a new mother is a very difficult one. I remember this vividly. So much to do and not enough time. That is why if grandparents are lucky enough to have time with their grandchildren it can be so rewarding both ways. It can be so much fun and we can teach them a lot, reading, games, dress ups and of course outside if we can in nature. Electronic media may have to be monitored a bit and leave time for "imagination."

Lewlew Sat 06-Aug-16 10:34:15

I think the criticism is aimed at parents who are totally on their mobiles all the time when out with their children, not those making call that are necessary or taking an unplanned call, or arranging something.

It's about those who are so totally on their phone all the time, or playing Pokemon, CandyCrush, etc when out that the children are bored and feel ignored.

My DIL is a hard working career mum and must use her phone when she's out with DGG, but being with her daughter takes priority and she returns most calls when she gets back home and baby is down for her nap.

LullyDully Sat 06-Aug-16 12:32:26

If they weren't on their phones( these visible everywhere mums who do exist we must all agree), would they be talking meaningfully with their children? Maybe not.