Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to find women's gymnastics ungainly?

(31 Posts)
DaphneBroon Tue 09-Aug-16 22:10:39

I think I am talking about the floor exercises, but outside of the amazing cartwheels, tumbling, backflips and somersaults, the posturing and pseudo dancing in between moves is, to me, really awkward and ungainly. Sticking out hips, spiky arms, insincere grimaces grins, weird ups and downs on and off the floor and NOTHING like dancing. confusedNot knocking their skill, but graceful it isn't.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 10-Aug-16 21:12:35

I've only watched the diving and equestrian so can't comment.

Deedaa Wed 10-Aug-16 22:32:39

The dancing and posturing they do on the beam is a test of balance. Even I could probably stand still on it. The rules have been tightened up lately as they used to stand around in the corners of the floor preparing for a tumble. Now they have to be moving and doing something with no pauses. For all the apparent danger there are very few serious accidents. DS was often in A&E as a child while my gymnast DD rarely hurt herself. It does do awful things to their bodies though. DD suffered terribly with carpal tunnel syndrome and has a lot of back trouble. But she wouldn't have wanted to stop.

Candelle Wed 10-Aug-16 23:22:20

I agree, DaphneBoon. The rhythm has been lost and the interpretation of music is just nonsensical. Odd jerks, with limbs flicking hither and thither does not a beautiful fluid performance make.

Of course, I could do better if I could really be bothered.....

Deedaa Thu 11-Aug-16 22:18:05

Some of the countries (yes I am talking about you China) do tend to use very strange music which I don't think anyone could dance to. The Russians on the other hand have always used very danceable music and have done ballet training alongside their gymnastics.

grannylyn65 Fri 26-Aug-16 18:45:17

Kudos for even attempting a cartwheel! Always wanted to be able to but sadly not!
Was going to put on bucket list !! Ho Ho!!