Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think parents should watch their children when swimming??

(54 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Wed 17-Aug-16 16:58:29

Took DGS3 aged 4 for our usual swimming afternoon at the gym.

It was a beautiful day so we started off in the outdoor pool. He's a good little swimmer but at the age of 4 I would not let him in the water without being in with him. The pool is surrounded by loungers, each one with a mummy or daddy laying on them.

In the water were a number of small children who could plainly not swim. Although there's a shallow area there's nothing to stop them going deeper. The one lifeguard was watching BOTH this pool and the bigger indoor pool.

Several times I pulled a little girl ( she was 3 she told me) to the side as she struggled to get her head above water.

Inside were a group of 8-10 year olds and one 3/4 year old . No-one was watching the little one .there wasn't a parent in sight.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting parents to keep a closer eye on non swimmers. I felt obliged to do their job. The lifeguard was severely over stretched too. I shall be complaining to the gym about it. Not her fault but just not good enough.

I was brought up by the sea, I have huge respect for the water and know taking your eye off non swimmers, even for a second can be catastrophic !!

Rant over....getting off soap box...it's chilly up here smile

LullyDully Tue 23-Aug-16 20:40:47

I bet they would get a roasting from their insurance company if they knew how they carry on. Also a visit from health and safety would help. It is not in the pool's interest to have a child drown.

Any school visiting would have to do a risk assessment and not go as a result.

Deedaa Tue 23-Aug-16 22:13:03

It's not a swimming pool thing, but I see that a woman has been rescued three times in four days in Cornwall! Each time she was cut off by the tide when walking on the beach. Some people seem to have no idea about water at all.

ReidSmith Mon 26-Nov-18 11:53:31

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.