Gransnet forums

AIBU

Giving things away

(44 Posts)
Nvella Mon 22-Aug-16 16:26:34

I have recently downsized to a small flat and need to vent about people's behaviour when I have offered stuff on Freecycle, Gumtree or local community groups - all for free. I have yet again had the experience of putting an item (a toddler mattress in almost new condition) on one of these sites and have had dozens of people asking for it but three no-shows already and (this took the biscuit) "Yes I will have if - when can you deliver it?" !!
Charity shops won't take any sort of bedding so it'll be down to the tip with it.
When they do turn up they barely thank you. Friends say it's because they are free and if I charged people would behave better- are they right?

BlueBelle Fri 26-Aug-16 07:09:33

I have put a lot of things on free or very cheap local sites The ' can you deliver' is fairly normal to me now although most live within a three mile radius some literally a mile away they are young people mostly I have arranged to meet in town with smaller things ( I don't have a car) and then they don't turn up The young stay at home mums don't seem to want to walk even a few roads to pick up its always ' ok Hun I ll leave it '
This obviously is only an observation and not a judgement on all young mums

f77ms Fri 26-Aug-16 06:28:13

Lots of charity shops will take it , the one I work in always has loads of baby stuff including mattresses . I agree about some peoples attitude regarding free stuff though , it is as if they are doing you a favour taking it off your hands .

rubylady Fri 26-Aug-16 04:08:46

I have left a settee outside for a while, thinking someone might take it, but no one has so I'll have to phone the council over that one.

rubylady Fri 26-Aug-16 04:07:57

I've a few things to get rid of and was going to freecycle them but will now ebay them instead. Thanks. smile

ElaineI Thu 25-Aug-16 10:10:00

In our area there is a local forum on Facebook which also has a section for advertising free things (as well as people posting who need things). Usually quite reliable. It is local to our town though so people tend to know who people are. Might be worth checking if your area has same if you do Facebook.
It's also useful if you lose or find pets as often someone knows someone who has found a dog/cat and is looking for the owner.

Mumsy Wed 24-Aug-16 11:02:11

jeltel, do it in your own time when you are ready, when my husband died I started clearing out his stuff within a month of his passing, I got all his stuff together ( I kept what I wanted) and asked the kids to take what they wanted. All the rest went to the local hospice charity shop. Yet a friend of mine hasnt touched her husbands things and he died 7 years ago.
Theres no time limit, you will know when you are ready to go through his things.

Elegran Wed 24-Aug-16 10:17:59

If things are worth someone handing over money for, you could put them on Ebay, or join your local Gumtree and put them on there, with a reasonable price. Freecycle is another site where you can list things to give away. Specify "buyer collects" then you won't have to post them.

Elegran Wed 24-Aug-16 10:13:49

jeltel Do what you are ready to do and don't let anyone else rush you.

I found that at first I didn't want to lose anything which he had worn, or used, it was all so full of memories and it felt as though I would be dismissing him from my life.

Then a bit later I went through his clothes, throwing out what had no connotations for me. I gave away some good suits and a good overcoat to family members who were the same size and shape. That thinned it down.

When an appeal went out recently for men's clothes for refugees, I went through them again and kept back only a few things that I particularly liked to see him in. I found a stash of new underwear that had been bought just as he fell ill and was completely unused, that went to the refugees too. I felt that there was a specific need for these things, and I wasn't just sending them to a charity shop to be picked over.

At the moment (more than four years after his death) I am going through everything in his DIY workshop (the other thing which defines him to me). Some tools have already gone to family, but there are others. I can use some myself, but there are things like a heavy-duty drill and an angle-cutter which I never even liked to know that he was using, so I am not likely to be using those, plus there are enough nails, screws, and so on to equip a carpenter's shop.

kittylester Wed 24-Aug-16 09:59:21

I feel very sad for you jeltel. I don't know how I would cope in your situation.

Can I suggest that you start a thread repeating your post or try looking and posting on an appropriate bereavement thread. People with the knowledge and experience to help will not necessarily look at this thread.

jeltel Wed 24-Aug-16 09:54:56

Thank you Blinko, would like some more opinions as it is good to read as it does help !

Blinko Tue 23-Aug-16 20:01:17

Hello Jeltel, you poor soul, you must be bereft. There are many kind and wise people here on Gransnet who will be better able to advise you. I just wanted to offer my sympathy and flowers Others will be along soon with kind words and the encouragement you need.

jeltel Tue 23-Aug-16 18:46:07

My husband died 15th June from cancer, I have not done anything BUT maybe I should. Have been told not worry that I will know ? Is that true ?
Would really like any help, thank you

Granby Tue 23-Aug-16 16:00:24

When my son, daughter in law and grandson recently moved house, they wanted to get rid of a lot of stuff that my grandson had grown out of, such a a moses basket, baby toys, etc, all in excellent condition. They were going to take them to the tip, but I suggested putting them outside their house with a notice on them, "Please take me!". They were all gone by the end of the day!

chicken Tue 23-Aug-16 15:22:21

I've advertised things on Freecycle several times. nearly always things almost new and in as-new condition. Most of the times there was no response, and when there was, about half of the people either never came or arranged a collection time then turned up days later. My daughter has had the same experience. I don't bother trying anymore and my daughter gets much better response from Facebook local. It's all rather depressing!

Glosgran Tue 23-Aug-16 14:17:42

I was looking for a dressmaker's dummy and posted a wanted ad on Freecycle thinking that it may be something that someone had in the loft and never used. I had only previously given items away, so this was the first time I was looking for an item for myself. I was delighted to receive a message that there was one available, 'in very good condition', but it was approx 25 - 30 miles away from where I live. I decided that it was worth the journey and as a 'thank you' made a lovely coffee & walnut cake with buttercream filling & topping to give when I arrived in exchange for the dummy. I handed over my cake in a cake tin as soon as the man opened the door but when he brought it out I was the one who felt like a dummy! It turned out to be very old and something that should have been sent to the rubbish tip. It was very dirty & mouldy with the covering peeling off, but I still showed my appreciation. I think that will probably be my last Freecycle 'find'.

AlieOxon Tue 23-Aug-16 13:48:34

My problem is old flower pots, all sizes......

AlieOxon Tue 23-Aug-16 13:48:02

Re bedding - animal sanctuaries ask for it!

widgeon3 Tue 23-Aug-16 13:27:00

when I decided to replace my kitchen i offered the contents including top-quality range cooker, undercounter fridge, dishwasher etc to a local charity providing goods for refugees. The organiser was very pleasant but turned my offer down. The refugees would not consider it as they knew they could demand new.. ( from manufacturers/ charitable bodies?? I have no idea)

annodomini Tue 23-Aug-16 13:03:20

I once bought a lovely cot second hand for £5 and eventually advertised it for the same sum. No takers. So I re-advertised it for £10 and it went right away.

Stella14 Tue 23-Aug-16 12:31:00

If you advertise furniture for sale at a lowish price, landlords of furnished properties often want it.

Mumsy Tue 23-Aug-16 11:35:12

I normally donate to my local hospice charity shop but they are very strict in what they are allowed to take these days. Ive never used freecycle but have used friday ad and gumtree and have never had any problems with people not turning up.

jackieok Tue 23-Aug-16 11:07:59

I put a bed settee on freecycle and people seemed really vague regarding picking it up.
I then put it on eBay for 99p and the experience was totally different. Arranged a time to come and came as agreed.

harrigran Tue 23-Aug-16 10:49:38

I had an M&S suite which was in good condition and I couldn't give it away, I had to call the local cleansing department and they just threw it in the back of a dirty wagon. I live in an area that is deemed to be deprived yet no-one was so deprived that they wanted second hand furniture.

annodomini Tue 23-Aug-16 10:36:21

DS1 and DiL have furnished their house from charity shops and Ebay. They wanted to have furniture in character with their Edwardian house and it is. They have huge, ultra-comfy sofas! They even got a lovely fridge/freezer second hand and a range cooker - DS trained as a chef so is quite fussy! He is now turning his hand to buying old furniture and giving them the 'shabby chic' look.

radicalnan Tue 23-Aug-16 10:33:16

The waste we have to cope with is disgusting. Recently had to clear out my dad's place and charities don't want stuff that is perfectly good, even the tip didn't want things. No wonder people resort to fly tipping.

It is a strange world where people would rather be in debt for some blown together stuff than have decent second hand..........but that is where we live now. Planet waste.