Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to object to a radio played in the garden?

(46 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Sun 11-Sep-16 15:42:03

My neighbours are playing Metro Radio in their garden. I can't turn my ears off but they can certainly do their listening inside the house. I can hear it in my conservatory as well as outside in my garden. People are so thoughtless.

tanith Sun 11-Sep-16 16:09:02

A neighbours daughters do this when the parents are out its annoying but as its only occasionally I just let it go. Its annoying when all you want is a quiet read in the shade.

DaphneBroon Sun 11-Sep-16 16:10:36

It depends on whether it is every day and how loud it is. Maybe they are gardening and if so I'm afraid YABU unless this is a regular thing.

shandi6570 Sun 11-Sep-16 16:29:45

I like listening to the radio when I am gardening, but I do try to either have it on with headphones or quietly.

My OH who is known locally as Mr Grumpy likes listening to his radio when he is tinkering in the garage at the end of the garden. It sometimes becomes a challenge to him to have his music louder than the neighbours, who to be fair, only have theirs on outside occasionally. Today while we were eating lunch he suddenly stopped, looked up listening and said, is that them with the radio on again. After I had stopped laughing/crying, I told him he could hear his own radio in the top garage, not the neighbours. Yes dear readers, he has two garages full of junk important stuff, but usually disappears to the bottom one.

So, in answer to your question, I think you have to give and take with garden noise. Not too often and not too loud is acceptable, often at full volume is not, IMHO.grin

BlueBelle Sun 11-Sep-16 16:42:11

It really does depend if it's very very loud and very often or if it's a reasonable level for them listening and only on warm days when they are around If it's the latter just accept it , it happens not worth getting stressed over There may be things you do that they don't like, live and let live unless it's really really anti social I like listening to my radio in the garden I don't think I have it very loud but even so it's not a terrible thing to do

Luckygirl Sun 11-Sep-16 16:42:24

YANBU - I get very upset when people assume that I (and the rest of the street) want to listen to their music - so rude and thoughtless - and just downright selfish.

I hate having builders in as they nearly always bring a trannie and play mindless music that they are simply not even listening to.

Noise pollution is a bit of a bugbear of mine as you can probably tell!

rosesarered Sun 11-Sep-16 16:43:33

What Bluebelle says.

rosesarered Sun 11-Sep-16 16:44:49

Easy for me to say so, mind, as my neighbours are all our age or older and are very quiet and considerate.

Auntieflo Sun 11-Sep-16 17:22:43

Several years ago, we had a neighbour with a very stroppy teenager. She liked sunbathing in the garden and having the music playing in the house, with the garden doors open, and loud enough for all to hear. I put up with it for a while, but did ask her to turn it down, which she did, with bad grace. She didn't do it when her parents were there. I see her occasionally now that she is grown up and has a teenage daughter of her own, about whom she likes to moan, a lot. What goes round comes round.

lizzypopbottle Sun 11-Sep-16 17:37:03

I already knew my own answer, of course! ? It's thoroughly rude and inconsiderate to subject others to your choices with no choice for them. We should be very careful exercising our own freedom at the risk of denying other people theirs. I have three dogs but I also object to neighbours leaving their dogs unattended in their garden for hours at a time if it means they bark incessantly. Two neighbours each have two dogs that bark at each other and at everyone who passes by. The noise is constant most days. It's unfair to me and everyone else and to the dogs who are under-stimulated. Take the dogs for a walk then let them in, for heaven's sake!

lizzypopbottle Sun 11-Sep-16 18:30:18

And it's very easy to say, 'Live and let live,' but here's another scenario:
You've had visitors for a few days. You wash the bedding and towels and, looking outside, you see sunshine and a breeze. You hang your washing on the line and go indoors for a well deserved cuppa. Meanwhile, your neighbour looks outside and sees the ideal day for that garden fire they've been meaning to have. They can see your washing btw. When you come back to find you have to start all over again with your washing, what price 'live and let live' then?

Deedaa Sun 11-Sep-16 21:25:36

The BBC always used to remind listeners not to have their radios on too loud in the garden. Our garden is so quiet that I really like just sitting out there in the silence.

DaphneBroon Sun 11-Sep-16 21:35:58

They can't do much right, your neighbour's lizzypopbottle can they?
In 46 years of marriage I have never once suffered the bonfire smoke scenario. hmm

Crafting Sun 11-Sep-16 21:51:37

I hate listening to someone else's TV or radio. I like to sit and read and find it difficult if I can hear music. I think if someone wants to listen to music outside they should do so with headphones.

Elegran Sun 11-Sep-16 21:54:52

My neighbour plays the saxophone in an amateur band (not that she sounds amateur, she actually sounds marvellous) One very hot day I was in the kitchen with doors and windows open, enjoying her rendering inside her house a few yards away of a slow blues number and thinking how much better live music is than a tinny radio. From several hedges away came an angry bellow, "Shut that bloody racket!" and the music ceased.

People's tastes in music differ widely. So do their manners.

Anya Sun 11-Sep-16 22:30:26

Next door are lovely!

Even lovelier today as their middle son (he who constantly practices his guitar rift in the garden or in his bedroom with the window open) went off today to Bristol Uni grin

Elegran Mon 12-Sep-16 09:13:18

Your gain, Bristol's loss. BTW I think it is a guitar riff, a rift is not so musical (not even as musical as your neighbour's son)

Anya Mon 12-Sep-16 09:28:04

grin

radicalnan Mon 12-Sep-16 10:13:16

Oh dear, I enjoy signs of life about me, the kids clattering off to school in the mornings or playing noisy games in the garden, musical tastes vary, I love a bit of opera (I am pretty sure my neighbours don't) dogs bark, mowers whirr.........I shall be a long time dead, time enough for silence then.

moobox Mon 12-Sep-16 10:18:11

I notice builders do the blaring radio often, but I suppose it helps their day go by.

Eloethan Mon 12-Sep-16 10:28:22

I think a certain amount of noise if one lives close to people is to be expected. If the volume is very high and the radio is on regularly in the garden, I think that's rather unreasonable but perhaps you have now become hyper-sensitive to it. I find that the more annoyed I get about something, the more annoying it becomes.

I remember reading something that Jiddu Krishnamurti said - that it is the effort of trying to block out noise that causes us anxiety and discomfort, rather than the noise itself. He suggested actually listening to the sound rather than trying to fight it. This has worked for me regarding those very loud road drills (I used to dread walking past them) but it wasn't quite so effective in respect of children continually screeching and screaming in the back garden! (which luckily I don't have to put up with anymore as they are older now).

Neversaydie Mon 12-Sep-16 10:39:27

My DH likes to.listen to music (quite loudly) most of the time, in his study aka our dining room. Patio doors to garden often open in summer.
Until 5years ago this would have bothered no one (the house one side of us is some distance away) However a new house was built next to us (we objected in vain)
Tbf our new neighbour(we don't like him for several reasons which may be a factor) has never complained but would we be unreasonable to say 'tough luck'this house has been here since the fifties'and we have lived in it nearly 30years ?

NannyMags Mon 12-Sep-16 11:09:21

Completely off the subject but how do you put a line through a word like shandi6570 has done with junk (important) i have seen this done often but i cant work out how to do it.

Auntieflo Mon 12-Sep-16 11:34:54

Hello NannyMags, for a strikethrough, scroll down the page, after 'preview massage' and ' post message' and you will find how to tips. Strikethrough is two dashes, then type word(no spaces) then two more dashes, and when you preview, you should see what you have done, or not as the case may be. Ie. hello

Dartzie62 Mon 12-Sep-16 12:53:22

I agree that we need to give and take, but some neighbours seem to go over and above this. Our neighbour downstairs loves slamming doors, so hard that the place shakes! He doesnt like us living above him and does at times try and make it known. We just continue to try and ignore him, but it is hard.