Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be irritated.

(83 Posts)
felice Tue 25-Oct-16 15:18:14

This is a small thing but really irritates me.
Contestants who applaud themselves during quiz shows. Why, I was visiting a friend yesterday and she was watching Pointless, and even the losing pair were applauding themselves, when they lost!!!!!!
I know it's not important but I find myself shouting at the TV more and more these days and this is one of the irritants.
Oh and the gushing guy on Flog it, you would think the seller had won the lottery sometimes.
I think I might be in a bit of a mood todayhmm

amt101 Wed 26-Oct-16 11:58:32

I agree totally about all applauding, but there are so many things that I find odd now I wondered if it was me.

Lewlew Wed 26-Oct-16 11:58:52

bunny17 I think you have it. My stepson went on Deal or No Deal to be in audience and they got specific instructions on when to laugh, clap, moan... oooh-ahhh. Yuck.

That said, we discovered that when our DGD plops down on her bum when working on her newly-discovered talent to walk, run and dance about, we clap and say YAY! Before that, these plops always brought on tears and since she was not hurt (low centre of gravity in play here), it appeared she was looking for a sympathy cuddle. To change that I clapped and cheered for her 'cleverness'. Then she clapped and laughed, too. Now she does it first... but not so much now as she's found her feet. I am waiting for her to clap and cheer if I fall over LOL!

amt101 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:00:36

As for Flog it, there should be a spinoff programme talking to the families asking why on earth they want to sell great grannies china so they can go out for a meal/holiday etc.

Marieeliz Wed 26-Oct-16 12:08:50

My friend and I have commented on this a few times. It is a bit like sea lions.

radicalnan Wed 26-Oct-16 12:12:47

Look, if its good enough for performing seals...........

felice Wed 26-Oct-16 12:23:04

Talking to DBF on Skype earlier and he remembers a Flog It of a few years ago,he is into antiques so watches all these types of shows. The item had no reserve and had been valued £80to100.
It sold for £10, when the man selling was asked how pleased he was he commented he was not considering how much he had spent on travel and Hotel bills.
I read somewhere that if the items are going to be shown the people have to sign a contact agreeing they will go to auction no matter the valuation.

Skweek1 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:31:15

Just remind yourself that the QMs wouldn't have a clue if they didn't have a computer to tell them the answer. My pet bugbear though is QI - find Stephen Fry intensely irritating and I've found him to be wrong on so many occasions that I refuse to watch at all. Even more frustrating is the fact that virtually every day we have repeats or even repeats of repeats inflicted on us - can't even test our own general knowledge, since we have already heard the same questions on so many occasions that we know them by heart. Grrrr thlangry

felice Wed 26-Oct-16 12:42:06

So agree, although I watched Sandi Toksvig the other night and thought the show was much funnier.
The QMs are just so smug, with all the anwsers written down and someone talking in their ear.
I tend to watch the 'bit more' shows.

marionk Wed 26-Oct-16 13:01:35

Can't stand the audiences who need or are instructed to scream whenever a new act is announced either!

LadyGracie Wed 26-Oct-16 13:03:31

Lots of things on the TV irritate me, adverts, smug presenters, bad grammar, I have a little rant and continue watching. Although I can't stand Tony Pratface
who presents Time Team, he gets turned over!

LadyGracie Wed 26-Oct-16 13:05:47

And all the woo woo wooing from the audience on Strictly particularly when Michael Ball is singing!

felice Wed 26-Oct-16 13:12:38

Now you really are going to get me started, I have to turn the sound down really low for Stricly as the noise hurts my ears.
When DGS is staying his bed is through the wall from the TV, never bothers him, except Strictly, which has woken him.
Cannot move his bed at the moment as a lot of work to be done in my bedroom first.
I have been watching the audience, and trying to figure out where the noise comes from, none or the audience at the front seem to be making much noise ??????
hate the noise when someone is singing, athough there was not much for Madness thenk goodness, it is dis-respectful.

belladonna Wed 26-Oct-16 13:14:01

People who wave for ages on house programmes ...moving so watch for ideas...so suppose I have to put up with it

Lupatria Wed 26-Oct-16 13:38:03

don't like those quiz shows so don't watch them. and i can't stand flog it either - so, guess what, i don't watch that either.

there are many more programmes on the tele which don't involve people applauding themselves.

Rosina Wed 26-Oct-16 13:39:27

I'm so glad someone else thinks it's infuriating and silly too! Applause, I thought, was a collective recognition of something worth praising; not a pointless flapping of hands when you are introduced or fail to answer questions and get sent off!

Is anyone else driven potty by 'No, yer all right' when an individual is asked if they want help/a cup of tea/anything at all? I don't really see what this means. (I wish I hadn't started - I'm feeling niggly now and not sure why.) And for those who have suggested the off switch, yes I do use it.

Bez1989 Wed 26-Oct-16 13:45:43

There are SO many good TV programmes that aren't on the 4 main channels.
Try Ice Truckers for example....real men...and one real woman....driving umpteen tons of supplies across icy roads and frozen lakes...that kind of Real TV puts those inferior day time programmes into the rubbish bin....where they belong....IMHO. sunshine

Bez1989 Wed 26-Oct-16 13:49:51

PS....something that irritates me is when visiting someone at a pre arranged time
they leave the TV on the whole time !!

felice Wed 26-Oct-16 13:59:04

I only get BBC1 and 2 on cable here, so if I want to watch an English speaking programme I am a bit limited.
There is a lot of English speaking TV on the Dutch and Flemish channels but it tends to be dramas and documentarys.
Sometime I just like to relax and not worry about translating in my head.

Grandmama Wed 26-Oct-16 14:56:17

Recently I heard a discussion on the wireless about audiences 'whooping'. I hadn't really noticed this before so I listened out for it - and yes, some audiences do whoop and scream. Maybe contestants will be doing this next.

Legs55 Wed 26-Oct-16 15:00:55

I find Strictly too much with all the flashing lights, cameras "panning around" - I have Epilepsy. Many of the game shows irritate me so I don't watch them except "The Chase" which I love (Bradley Walsh who is brilliant IMHO)

Pause before they announce a winner - drives me mad. Can think of so much more but that would be boring - thank goodness for Sky - at least I can find some interesting programmes & re-visit old favourites if I want thlhmm

Definitely turning into a "Grumpy Old Woman" thlgrin

MadMaisie Wed 26-Oct-16 15:03:53

I can't understand this either. Surely it's for others to do the congratulating, not self? Perhaps it's a British thing.

Yorkshiregel Wed 26-Oct-16 15:06:18

If you want a trip down memory lane and good old sit coms try Gold. All the old favourites on there.

It is not the clapping that gets to me, it is the American Woop, wooping!

LullyDully Wed 26-Oct-16 16:38:59

I can never believe that people are thrilled with their Pointless trophy. Surely some people should be allowed to be sarcastic. What would you do with it? Door stop perhaps.

Lupin Wed 26-Oct-16 16:52:20

I've often wondered if etiquette re clapping has changed and I've not noticed and wondered why they are clapping themselves, but I don't get irritated by it - just puzzled. We could try asking Points of View if there is someone orchestrating the clapping.
As for Paul Martin - I think he's the same charming guy to everyone - no side in his manner at all. He's a good host. Long may he present Flog It, but I wish the programme had a different name. That name does irritate me.

rosesarered Wed 26-Oct-16 20:42:18

I have been irritated by self applauding for years.Also irritated by the patronising Paul Martin ( who has no concept of personal space) and also irritated by the chatter of the hosts on Pointless, so don't watch any more.Bah, Humbug! angry