Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why do we need Black Friday?

(38 Posts)
joannewton46 Fri 25-Nov-16 13:30:02

I can't understand all the fuss over Black friday in the UK. Until 2 or 3 years ago we hadn't heard of it, now its everywhere. For instance, do we really need Morrisons to do a Black Five Day event? I counted my today's emails just now and 30 of them were headed Black Friday something or other with several more trumpeting a one day reduction.
It seems to me just another American method for retailers to screw more money out of the public by encouraging them to buy things they don't need, but hey we all love a bargain. If you can afford to knock 10-25% off, then just reduce the price.
Maybe I'm being old fashioned. I appreciate that some people welcome the reductions but would you have bought the item at full price? If not, do you really need it?
Rant over.

wot Fri 25-Nov-16 21:14:08

I agree, Monica, I'm guilty myself of impulse purchases I later regret!

wot Fri 25-Nov-16 22:02:24

Buyer's remorse!

Anniebach Fri 25-Nov-16 22:06:05

Black Friday doesn't trouble me, haven't bought anything but for all who are happy with their bargains , I hope you have pleasure from your purchases smile

rubylady Sat 26-Nov-16 00:16:18

I wanted a toilet, couldn't find one. blush

BlueBelle Sat 26-Nov-16 05:28:49

Anniebach people saving money is acceptable of course, people trampling on each other in consumer greed is not
I hate the concept of pushing and hitting people to get an item it is hideous however it seems to have been a bit of a damp squid this year as according to the to news most sales were online Most items are 'put up' to be able to be ' put down' apart from a few crowd pullers
Another US. Custom I hope will die out

morethan2 Sat 26-Nov-16 06:15:19

Oh dear rubylady that sounded like a desperate plea. Hope you found one on time.?

mumofmadboys Sat 26-Nov-16 07:26:51

I booked a half price walking weekend with HF in Whitby on line. Very pleased. 4 star hotel and for three nights.

NanaandGrampy Sat 26-Nov-16 09:53:22

I cant see the problem with Black Friday. I got a few bargains online as that's where I do the majority of my shopping and according to many news reports yesterday there was very little in the way of 'pushing and shoving' in fact it said that there were less people physically visiting shops although online purchasing was high.

Can't see the problem in saving some money - don't we all need every penny? I research my purchases prior to the day so I can be sure I am getting a bargain.

Win Win as far as I'm concerned smile

durhamjen Sat 26-Nov-16 09:56:00

That was probably becaue Black Friday has been extended this year. 15 emails today, 7 of them telling me not to worry as it's still Black Friday!

Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-16 09:59:30

I am enjoying reading of posters bargain buys,

Ruby , how did you manage?

Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-16 10:03:42

I think condemning sales is being rather sniffy sorry, I don't see buying at sales as greed , wish I could have shopped , not greed just little money so any saving is welcome

annodomini Sat 26-Nov-16 10:14:42

I'd never go to the shops on BF, but have a look at what's on offer on line with the memo to self that if I don't need it, it isn't a bargain. Last year, I got a Kindle Fire tablet very cheaply and it's still going strong. If I needed or really wanted a new TV, laptop, camera or phone and could wait till the end of November, I'd probably take my chance again.