Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why do we need Black Friday?

(37 Posts)
joannewton46 Fri 25-Nov-16 13:30:02

I can't understand all the fuss over Black friday in the UK. Until 2 or 3 years ago we hadn't heard of it, now its everywhere. For instance, do we really need Morrisons to do a Black Five Day event? I counted my today's emails just now and 30 of them were headed Black Friday something or other with several more trumpeting a one day reduction.
It seems to me just another American method for retailers to screw more money out of the public by encouraging them to buy things they don't need, but hey we all love a bargain. If you can afford to knock 10-25% off, then just reduce the price.
Maybe I'm being old fashioned. I appreciate that some people welcome the reductions but would you have bought the item at full price? If not, do you really need it?
Rant over.

tanith Fri 25-Nov-16 13:33:24

I just ignore it.

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-16 13:57:20

so do I.

ninathenana Fri 25-Nov-16 14:19:49

I have ordered D some PJ's which were half price today. Not interested in the big electrical goods.

jordana Fri 25-Nov-16 14:20:26

I am not interested either on black friday

Candlefran Fri 25-Nov-16 14:38:11

Wel, I seem to have saved £7.40 on Black Friday deals this morning ,without even realising it! Might go back tomorrow for some more since it seems to be a Black Friday weekend. confused

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Nov-16 14:48:06

Well, I thought I wasn't, then as I was looking on Notonthehighstreet for a scarf for DD1's Christmas present I spotted a hand-painted one on silk. It was in their Black Friday sale - £18, reduced from £180! So it's come in very handy today.

UPDATE Before I pressed send, I answered the phone to the supplier of the beautiful scarf, ringing to let me know with many apologies that the website price should have read £18 off, not £18 in all. I should have known it was too good to be true! grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Nov-16 14:59:21

And another update. The lovely supplier has been in touch to say she's popped a silk cushion cover worth £40 in the post for me, to apologise for the mistake. So it looks as though I have got a Black Friday bargain after all! smile

TriciaF Fri 25-Nov-16 15:36:14

I was amazed to see in our local paper that it has even come over to a backwater of rural France - 20% off a new Peugeot 308. Printed in English too.

felice Fri 25-Nov-16 15:57:58

I just ordered DGS birthday pressies from Dreamland the Colruyt toy shop TriciaF, they have some bargains if you are toy buying.

grannypiper Fri 25-Nov-16 16:24:50

Just seen online people in S.Africa over reduced toilet foll in their black Friday sale !

Anniebach Fri 25-Nov-16 18:41:34

People save money, is this unacceptable

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-16 19:04:58

In the excitement of the event people save money buying things they do not want or need because they are a 'bargain'.

Taking time to be thoughtful about your purchases and not paying the cheapest price can save the most money.

suzied Fri 25-Nov-16 19:30:38

I was in the West End of London unawares that it was BF till I arrived at the shops! Horrendous! Many were foreign tourists taking advantage no doubt of the weak £., but whoever they were there were too many of them no doubt expecting a bargain. My friend and I blagged a few freebies and beat a hasty retreat.

Anniebach Fri 25-Nov-16 19:44:10

I don't know anyone who has purchased goods they didn't need or want

Juggernaut Fri 25-Nov-16 20:24:48

Our DS and DDiL have been using our washing machine for a few weeks since theirs gave up the ghost, waiting to see what deals they could get today.
They saved £350 on a Miele washer, it was still expensive, but a great saving!

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Nov-16 20:33:46

Me neither, Annie. I've just bagged some good Christmas presents online over the last hour - a couple of boxes of beautiful handmade chocolates that I won't want to give away, and some very pretty silver earrings, all less than half price. I wouldn't have braved the actual shops in town today though. Our local store had 10% off across the board, so I also saved the magnificent sum of 14p on a tin of kidney beans and a green pepper (chilli for tea tonight!).

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-16 20:35:56

Annie, In that case why do so many people have homes and bedrooms overflowing with clothes they rarely wear. I have read a number of threads on Gransnet talking about people having too many clothes.

Anniebach Fri 25-Nov-16 20:36:41

Maggie, so pleased for you

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Nov-16 20:38:00

smile

Anniebach Fri 25-Nov-16 20:39:36

Monica, how do you know those who say they have too many clothes bought them on Black Friday. Yes there people who can afford to buy loads of clothes ,but this is about buying bargains on Black Friday

durhamjen Fri 25-Nov-16 20:41:10

The annoying thing is that they now seem to have a black Friday week, rather than just a day. Even the Americans I know think that the UK has gone overboard.
What's the betting that anything on sale tomorrow will still have the same discounts? Or even all next week if the shops still have lots left.

durhamjen Fri 25-Nov-16 20:48:35

Hive is having Civilised Saturday tomorrow, in your favourite bookshop. Someone fighting back.
I have also had an email from a company which says "Just Friday".

M0nica Fri 25-Nov-16 20:51:38

AnniebachI am not saying they specifically bought them on Black Friday, I thought yours was just a general comment that you didn't know anybody who ever bought anything they didn't need a general comment.

I think in the excitement of sales, whether Black Friday or New Year, some people get carried away with the frenetic energy of the event and just buy things because they seemed a good idea at the time. Many people are just shoppers. I have a friend whose house is full of stuff, she doesn't need and doesn't use.

Anniebach Fri 25-Nov-16 20:59:44

We were thinking of two different types of shoppers Monica