Gransnet forums

AIBU

Excitement

(28 Posts)
Carol1ne63 Fri 23-Dec-16 21:42:44

When was the last time you felt truly excited by something? Spine tingling, butterflies in the tummy excited?
Two of my sons got married last year, one has a baby this year - my first blood grandchild - we went on holiday abroad this year and in 2 sleeps it's Christmas and I feel tired and flat as a pancake. Is it normal to feel this way when you get older?
We went on a night out with friends last week and I just felt bored and wanted to be at home . What's wrong with me? 53 by the way, so not old.

Luckygirl Tue 27-Dec-16 11:00:28

When my depression was at its height I can remember looking at or listening to things that would normally have made me excited or moved and ..... nothing, just nothing. I think it is part of the illness - you just feel "flat." I thought it was interesting that rather than just feeling flat, there was my "other brain" looking in and observing the fact that I felt flat - fascinating.

I hope that you will regain the occasional thrill when you have had a chance to unwind.

goldengirl Tue 27-Dec-16 11:11:57

The trouble is if I get excited my IBS kicks in. That said I did get excited when I went to Australia to meet the brother my dad never knew he had - and found they looked alike! It will remain in my mind forever. Imodium proved a very trusty friend and there were loads of free and clean loos wherever we went so no real problem - unlike in the UK!!!