Gransnet forums

AIBU

Disgusting!

(100 Posts)
Penstemmon Tue 10-Jan-17 22:19:07

AIBU to be irritated by the overuse/incorrect use of the word 'Disgusting'?

I see it frequently used to express anger, opposition, disapproval and annoyance but rarely in response to a truly 'disgusting' situation.

Disgust for me is a physical revulsion..I experience disgust when I see a mass of maggots or smell fish soup or see someone eating snot!!

I do not feel disgust when I see people wearing certain clothes, hairstyles etc. I am not disgusted by theft or fraud etc. I may experience other responses but not disgust!

Grandmama Wed 11-Jan-17 17:51:30

In her recent archaeology series, every few minutes Alice Roberts found something that was 'incredible'.

pollyperkins Wed 11-Jan-17 18:23:44

Coppernob - that mad me laugh out loud!

pollyperkins Wed 11-Jan-17 18:29:45

I heard a girl on the bus say to her friend 'I literally died!' I was surprised ahe looked so well!!!

pollyperkins Wed 11-Jan-17 18:35:01

But words do come and go out of fashion and change their meanings . In my day (the 50s) everything was smashing or super, later in the 60sit was fabulous, my children in the 70s and 80s said wicked, - now its awesome, an American import I dont care for! But notcworth worrying about. This too will pass!

NannyMags Wed 11-Jan-17 18:44:13

Nanna58 Totes Amaze is a saying taken from the sit-com Miranda usually said by a very "overly posh" character.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 11-Jan-17 18:58:42

TriciaF.
Over use of the word Amazing.
This word appears to have been adopted by the young to describe almost everything that enters their lives.
I was watching a wannabee pop star on tv recently giving an account of his latest achievement and in one sentence I counted the use of amazing six times.?

Morgana Wed 11-Jan-17 18:59:39

If u want a laugh at the use of language, read G e o r g e t t e Hey er! 'He expostulated' etc. Pure 1950 's.!

HootyMcOwlface Wed 11-Jan-17 22:25:31

What about AWESOME - Nails down a chalkboard to me. Usually a response to a photo of someone on Facebook with enough slap on to sink a battleship and pouting like something off the fish counter at Morrison's. "Awesome babe" Aaarrgghh!

wot Wed 11-Jan-17 22:26:16

Pollyperkins, ??

morethan2 Wed 11-Jan-17 22:33:04

Phenomenal. QVC use it all the time I want to shout " no it's a blouse, makeup, cheap jewellery." What ever it is, no matter how good it is, it isn't is phenomenal

Blinko Thu 12-Jan-17 09:13:17

Don't start me on randomly sprinkled apostrophes....

Yorkshiregel Thu 12-Jan-17 10:10:58

...and I was like....! Aaaaarg!

...know wha aa mean?

Yoo nevaaaa!

Also people who use speech marks when they should use quotes.

Ana Thu 12-Jan-17 10:14:45

I thought speech marks were the same as quotation marks.

TriciaF Thu 12-Jan-17 10:35:17

I don't know the difference either - oh yes it's just dawned on me. A single mark is an apostrophe, the doubles are speech/quotation marks?

Elegran Thu 12-Jan-17 10:41:08

Oh, I've been doing it wrongly for years. I just use either indiscriminately.

Elegran Thu 12-Jan-17 10:42:03

But not doubles as apostrophes.

Ana Thu 12-Jan-17 10:42:39

Yes, but Yorkshiregirl was complaining about those who use speech marks when they should use quotes.

What do you mean, Yorkshiregel?

rosesarered Thu 12-Jan-17 10:54:42

grin I really cba to worry about these things , will I be shot down ( not literally!) for using cba I wonder?

rosesarered Thu 12-Jan-17 10:56:51

There is a difference ( always has been) from people who speak badly and those using a trendy word now and again, be it fab, cool, wicked, eggy, bad etc.

Yorkshiregel Thu 12-Jan-17 10:59:41

Speech marks: “I don't go out much” she said

Quotes: Was it Shakespeare who said 'No man is an island, entire of itself'

Yorkshiregel Thu 12-Jan-17 11:02:41

If you use quotes within a quote you use double quotes outside, single inside. (I think the Americans use it the opposite to UK for some reason).

Not being patronizing, you did ask.

mrsmopp Thu 12-Jan-17 11:44:48

Everything now is like Ohmygod!!!

mrsmopp Thu 12-Jan-17 11:48:26

So Not Cool!,
Oh you don't like it then? Why not say so?

Penstemmon Thu 12-Jan-17 11:58:27

Maybe I should have put this thread on Pedants Corner grin

I agree that language eveolves and each generation develops vocabulary and I think that is a good thing.
I do not know why one 'overused' word annoys me more than another.
I think the increased use of 'extreme' adjectives feed into the tendency for some people to live real and on-line life as a soap opera. Everything is extreme and nothing is ordinary any more. That would imply a mundane existance which is literally, totes disaster and not like, you know, my amaze balls , fab and wickid , OMG!!!!! stunning, fab life!

Yorkshiregel Thu 12-Jan-17 12:04:08

So true! Mostly used by the youngsters though. I wonder what the English language will be like when they are adults?