Gransnet forums

AIBU

work colleague who doesnt wash her hands!!

(89 Posts)
agran2 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:39:04

Today I was in the ladies and as I was drying my hands I noticed a woman Ive worked with for years went to the toilet and left without washing her hands! Ive seen this happen all the time in public toilets and it really makes me angry angry Why do people not think that others might not want their germs all over railings, doors, handles etc - am I the only one who gets infuriated with this and think people like that are being completely irresponsible?

Should I confront her about it? Need some advise please confused

annodomini Wed 18-Jan-17 16:54:14

The young woman who apparently failed to wash her hands may have used an alcohol gel or wipe before leaving the cubicle. I do that in train toilets which are a nightmare for hand washing. Then I use it again when I get back to my seat, having touched door handles on the way.

Ana Wed 18-Jan-17 16:37:26

Really? Can't see why...(and no, I don't eat peas with my knife but live and let live)

harrigran Wed 18-Jan-17 16:23:46

Pretty disgusting to observe though.

Ana Wed 18-Jan-17 16:12:06

Eating mash and peas with a knife is hardly unhygienic though is it...? hmm

Auntieflo Wed 18-Jan-17 16:09:03

I was in John Lewis at lunch time today, and visited their loos. One young woman came out of the cubicle, and marched straight for the exit. I just hope she wasn't going to lunch shock. Also, an older lady in the restaurant, was enjoying her sausages and mash, scooping up and eating the mash and peas with her knife. I shouldn't stare, but didn't believe my eyes.

mrsmopp Wed 18-Jan-17 01:17:28

I don't think it's worth alienating a work colleague over this. you don't want a bad atmosphere. She may laugh and say she forgot or she may fall out with you for embarrassing her. Say nothing but get a notice put on the wall, then forget it. We don't live in a sterile world. If you work in a hospital though that's a bit different. How about an anonymous note on her desk?
I had a colleague once with dreadful B.O. Nobody dared say a word, now that Was awkward..

goldengirl Mon 16-Jan-17 15:16:49

Someone artistic could perhaps make a quirky sign for the back of the toilet door - better than above the basins if you think about it
eg
[http://www.washroomcubicles.co.uk/free-school-washroom-posters/]

Anya Mon 16-Jan-17 14:28:33

Behave!

Wobblybits Sun 15-Jan-17 21:35:53

You haven't seen my bed.

Grannygrunt123 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:01:13

How pathetic some people are. Some of the public toilets that I have been in, are absolutely disgusting and I wouldnt linger a minute longer than I had to. I hover over the toilet seat, wouldn't dream of sitting down aaargh. Washing your hands is a joke. Get real and lighten up. Public toilets are a cess pit of germs. People are wayyyyy to obsessed with germs, dirt and poo. Just stay in bed and don't move. That way, you may be ok...........?

Wobblybits Sun 15-Jan-17 16:43:55

The toilet flush, cubicle handle etc. What did you think I meant ?

Anya Sun 15-Jan-17 16:11:44

Don't answer that Wobbly I really don't want to know!!

Ana Sun 15-Jan-17 15:27:58

Wobbly, what do you mean, you 'don't touch contaminated bits'? grin

Wobblybits Sun 15-Jan-17 14:08:50

men don't have that problem as we don't often use cubicles and don't touch contaminated bits, BUT I do hate the though of who may have touched the door handles etc, but that is after you have washed your hands (elbows get used a lot)

Ana Sun 15-Jan-17 13:34:25

Yes, but surely you wash your hands after you've flushed the toilet, opened the cubicle door etc...confused

Diddy1 Sun 15-Jan-17 13:30:05

I may be odd(no comments please)but I always have a piece of paper I use when I flush the toliet, imagine how many germs are on those flush buttons, handles etc,millions I expect, cant face the thought. Love toilets which are self flushing, should be more of them

dogsmother Sun 15-Jan-17 13:18:21

Reminds me of my mother in public and private (yes at home too) she always sat on her hands when relieving herself! She said she couldn't bear the idea of her bottom sharing the same place as someone else's bare bottom and as she was sure to scrub her hands after it was a habit she had til her dying day.

Wobblybits Sun 15-Jan-17 12:00:54

As a man with first hand experience, I can assure you that it is only 10% of men that don't wash their hands, it just doesn't take us as long to have a wee, none of that undressing stuff.
Having worked in a day center my experience was that women were far worse than men for washing adequately, long nails hide some very nasty surprises.

threexnanny Sun 15-Jan-17 11:16:41

I don't think the OP can be working with any men as I guess about 90% don't wash their hands judging by the speed they are in and out.

pensionpat Sat 14-Jan-17 23:30:38

I am scrupulous about hand washing. However, you can over-think the issue. e.g. You use toilet, wipe bottom, then before you wash hands you adjust clothing. So our underwear, trousers, zips, belts must be crawling with germs. Ooer!!!

Legs55 Sat 14-Jan-17 23:14:26

I always carry anti-bac gel, I have very sensitive skin & many soaps & even anti-bac gel in Hospital cause my hands to itch/break out in a rash/peeling skin. I have found one which is suitable for my skin & always use that. I hate the thought of what is on taps, toilet flush & door handles.

I am not obsessive about hygiene as I believe being too hygienic doesn't allow your immune system to build up, however I always wash my hands before preparing food & when I come in from the garden, Tetanus lurks in the soil & can be fatal if it enters the bloodstream through cuts

Nelliemaggs Sat 14-Jan-17 21:46:55

Urine is sterile isn't it? So if that's all she did I guess she won't be adding to the germs all around. I suppose if she wasn't brought up to wash her hands your colleague won't get that unclean feeling that comes with using the toilet and not washing hands. Perhaps she was just adjusting her undies grin

meandashy Sat 14-Jan-17 18:45:54

I would have to mention it if you're completely sure she doesn't carry hand sanitiser.
I wash my hands ALOT and despite suffering with very rough hands because of antibac handwash I still use it! I can't use pure antibac gel as it splits my hands.
No excuses or exceptions, wash your hands ?

hildajenniJ Sat 14-Jan-17 18:13:22

I am the early morning cleaner in a high class supermarket. The number of people who don't wash, or are very slapdash about it would surprise you. I often wonder if they have any hand hygiene training. I always make sure that all the door handles and taps are cleaned every day, or at least, the days I'm there. I often feel like saying something, but would they take any notice, or would I be in trouble if I did? Urine is, for the most part, sterile, but all sorts of bacteria inhabit faeces, clostridium difficile for one.

Marianne1953 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:51:57

Apparently 62% of people don't wash their hands after using the toilet. Perhaps your colleague had just gone in the cubicle to adjust her clothing, though I would still wash my hands after going into a toilet cubicle.