Gransnet forums

AIBU

work colleague who doesnt wash her hands!!

(88 Posts)
agran2 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:39:04

Today I was in the ladies and as I was drying my hands I noticed a woman Ive worked with for years went to the toilet and left without washing her hands! Ive seen this happen all the time in public toilets and it really makes me angry angry Why do people not think that others might not want their germs all over railings, doors, handles etc - am I the only one who gets infuriated with this and think people like that are being completely irresponsible?

Should I confront her about it? Need some advise please confused

Ana Fri 13-Jan-17 17:42:12

Do you work in a supermarket, agran2?

Mary59nana Fri 13-Jan-17 17:49:28

I would politely take her to one side and tell her what you have noticed I'm sure she will feel very embarrassed and think twice next she visits the ladies.

Think of it as doing all your work colleagues and yourself a big favour in stopping others from falling ill with one of many very unpleasant illness.

morethan2 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:49:59

I wouldn't but then I'm a coward. Perhaps you could get some poster about the importance of hand washing and place in a prominent position. You could talk to your employer and ask if they could give a health and safety talk at your next torture team meeting. That might do the trick and save any unpleasantness.

aggie Fri 13-Jan-17 17:50:41

If you have a health and. safety officer ask them to post notices about hygiene , she probably isn't the only one

Charleygirl Fri 13-Jan-17 17:53:17

I feel exactly the same way as you do and I doubt if I would be able to let it go on. I agree, she will not be the only one and what about the fellows?

nanaK54 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:53:44

Yuck, yuck, yuck - that would worry me too - not at all sure what I would do about it though......

Cherrytree59 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:54:10

Perhaps a laminated notice (or several) put up in the loo and wash area reminding people to wash their hands or use sanitising lotion.
You are not BU.
It drives me mad angry
Could you quietly ask whoever in charge to have a meeting and point out the need for hygiene & hand washing.

agran2 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:57:19

No Ana I dont why? We have posters but I guess some people just read it and forget confused glad Im not the only one horrified by this!

Jayanna9040 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:09:21

Buy her a little bottle of that hand wash stuff that doesn't need water. Can't think what to call it that doesn't sound like soapy hand wash. You can just leave it prominently on her desk or hand it over if you dare!

Eloethan Fri 13-Jan-17 18:46:44

Well, it's not very nice but I wouldn't waste any sleep about it - unless you are both working in, say, a food shop, hospital, etc.

If it really is something that bothers you, as others have said, mention it to your Health & Safety officer.

rosesarered Fri 13-Jan-17 19:16:56

The thing is, she may ( for all you know) have used a wipe of some kind before she left the cubicle.Or not. As others say, it depends on what kind of place that you work in.I usually use wipes rather than wash, in some places, depending on what it's like.
Unless you are looking for a row, do not say anything.

rosesarered Fri 13-Jan-17 19:17:42

Who wants enemies within the workplace?

FarNorth Fri 13-Jan-17 19:28:02

If you say something to this woman she may be annoyed and is unlikely to change her ways anyhow.
Even if she did start washing her hands, there are probably others who do not so it wouldn't solve the problem.

You are right, it's revolting!

rafichagran Fri 13-Jan-17 19:35:32

Say nothing, it really is not worth it.

Grannyknot Fri 13-Jan-17 19:46:18

"Polite Notice" - those are so annoying! When they went up in the toilets where I used to work, there were mutterings about the "hygiene police".

far north is right, there's no point, because she may ignore you, and or others may also not wash their hands.

The point is, there are germs everywhere. If it bothers your, use antibacterial gel.

Linsco56 Fri 13-Jan-17 19:46:23

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen this happen. I would say nothing, wash your own hands and if you can't open the door with your elbow, use your hand sanitiser afterwards.

Grannyknot Fri 13-Jan-17 19:46:48

You not your.

hulahoop Fri 13-Jan-17 20:33:26

I use hand cleanser and must admit have thought I hope people don't think I haven't cleaned my hands I spray handles as well its habit after I had poor immunity

LadyGracie Fri 13-Jan-17 20:40:20

I use hand cleanser too because you wash your hands and then have to open the door to get out, it's ok with a push door you can use your elbow. Hand cleanser is my best friend I'm afraid

Ana Fri 13-Jan-17 20:42:23

I agree with Grannyknot. There are germs everywhere, and most of them don't come from your bum!

harrigran Fri 13-Jan-17 21:38:10

My sister has no qualms in letting people know that they have bad habits, she has been heard to bellow HANDS at departing backs. I have to agree with her when it is a restaurant or hospital.

MissAdventure Fri 13-Jan-17 23:10:24

I dont think its possible to compel a person to wash their hands
Just be careful when its her turn to buy the cakes for her birthday!

Eloethan Fri 13-Jan-17 23:32:13

Apparently, computer keyboards can be five times as dirty as a toilet. It really isn't worth worrying too much about germs because as grannyknot says, they are absolutely everywhere and anyway you need to build up a certain degree of immunity.

phoenix Sat 14-Jan-17 00:05:09

It's an odd thing, if the taps are the turning type, as opposed to swivel, if you know what I mean, then you turn them on with "dirty" hands, wash you hands, then touch the taps again to turn them off, thereby possibly picking up the same germs you've just washed off!