Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect people to read threads BEFORE they comment?

(66 Posts)
kittylester Tue 14-Feb-17 08:27:51

Just that really. confused

Jalima Tue 14-Feb-17 10:32:24

If you are on the site which is not the desktop site then I think the posts come up in blue.
However I prefer the desktop site.
I don't always read all the thread because my tablet is SO slow.

rosesarered Tue 14-Feb-17 10:53:38

Elrel wrong thread? possibly even wrong forum? grin

rosesarered Tue 14-Feb-17 10:55:08

Cheer up kitty ?....and yes you are right, we should all check that we are not offering thoughless comments on a support thread.

Ankers Tue 14-Feb-17 11:14:22

That thread is astoundingly bad.
To be fair, a lot of the posters who didnt read the thread are not regular posters I dont think. But even so..

Not sure there is any way around it. Dont think it will ever stop.

Ankers Tue 14-Feb-17 11:15:44

Perhaps Elrel copied and pasted something from elsewhere? I have been known to do that, and luckily see my error before I click send.

Christinefrance Tue 14-Feb-17 11:16:28

Another problem has arisen for me, I have responded to an OP on a couple of threads only to find that they have added more information later which has made my comment inappropriate. I am a bit reluctant to make an early response now.

merlotgran Tue 14-Feb-17 11:22:38

If I'm in a hurry or about to go out I'll often put a short comment on like, 'I agree with .....' just so the thread will then appear on 'I'm on' when I return. It saves trawling through the 'Active' list and I then have time to read back through some (not all) of the posts to make sure I've got the gist.

Jayanna9040 Tue 14-Feb-17 11:26:02

Not to mention crossed posts when you reply to someone who's moved six comments up and you end up looking like you're saying entirely the wrong thing to the latest poster.

Christinefrance Tue 14-Feb-17 11:44:45

Jayanna I agree, it's easy to offend someone that way and then involves lengthy explanations.

rosesarered Tue 14-Feb-17 11:45:03

Which is why having a quote facility like most other forums would be a good thing.

grandma60 Tue 14-Feb-17 11:46:43

Mawbroon has posted what I have been thinking but was wondering how to put it into words. The gransnetter she mentioned has posted a lot about her husband's and her own health problems over the last few years and a lot of us probably feel that we know her. So when she talks about the problems she has to deal with regarding her husband's illness it is like talking to old friends. She probably doesn't feel it is necessary to explain the nature of it every time.
Unfortunately newer members are not aware of this and some jump in with unkind and harsh comments.
I have felt for her many times when reading this, and have often thought of replying myself but only too often this would have ended in a slanging match

Rinouchka Tue 14-Feb-17 14:20:03

It would appear that common sense dictates kindness in a response to a sad or stressful post and that a humourous post will invite humourous responses.

However, past knowledge of a poster is not available to everyone. When I became active a short while ago, it just never dawned on me that there are cumulative "case histories" that older members are familiar with but are black holes to newer members. This would be parallel to friends who know eachother well and then new people join the circle who are not privy to past events.

Perhaps there should be a box or a reference to previous posts where there is a longstanding story....just so no one misunderstands.

kittylester Tue 14-Feb-17 14:50:42

A good point Rinouchka about past history but an even better one about judging the required tone.

Anya Tue 14-Feb-17 15:13:46

It would be easier if GNHQ made the original poster's following posts in a colour like they do/did? on Mumsnet, then you can scroll through and read any updates

I think Lona posted that a while back, but I've been reading through more recent posts and can't be sure.

However that's a REALLY GOOD idea GNHQ - could you get tech support out of the Broom Cupboard (or wherever they hide go for tea and cake) and set them this challenge? ??☺??

kittylester Tue 14-Feb-17 15:51:46

Really good idea! On my phone, my posts are all blue but not the op's subsequent one.

What is a quote facility Roses? I only use GN.

Anya Tue 14-Feb-17 16:29:04

Did I upset tech support? Is that why the site crashed?

Ana Tue 14-Feb-17 16:33:29

It didn't crash where I am! grin

f77ms Tue 14-Feb-17 16:36:36

The op`s posts are all in green including subsequent ones . Not the same for everyone obviously .

Christinefrance Tue 14-Feb-17 16:49:58

No if I use my tablet the OP's posts are green but then so are some others. On my phone the OP posts are blue.

rosesarered Tue 14-Feb-17 18:57:21

kitty if you want to answer another poster you can click on the 'reply with quote' next to it and their words/comments appear in a box with quote marks above where you type your own reply to them.Thus being obvious what you are replying to.Also from whom.

Ana Tue 14-Feb-17 18:59:47

Not on GN, surely? I've never seen that on here (although I have on other sites)

rosesarered Tue 14-Feb-17 19:42:24

No Ana on other forums grin but it would be really useful on here.

rosesarered Tue 14-Feb-17 19:43:07

Shall we lobby GNHQ to get one?

TriciaF Tue 14-Feb-17 20:52:55

If I want to quote from another post I copy and paste the quoted part. With the name of the poster above and quote marks around the quoted parts.

thatbags Tue 14-Feb-17 21:02:21

Sometimes you only want to answer the opening post. It's not necessary to read the whole thread to do that.

Other times you start reading the thread and come across a post you want to answer, so you do that even though there may be fifty other posts between it and your reply. If you state what you're answering that shouldn't be a problem.

So, in answer to the OP, I'd say: "It depends..." but, yes, total disconnect can be a bit weird. It might just be that someone has misunderstood stuff though only got half a picture because thier concentration lapsed–mitigating circumstances.

I read about half a dozen posts and then said my bit. I don't think anyone can really complain about that.