Gransnet forums

AIBU

She made my day

(34 Posts)
Esspee Sat 25-Feb-17 15:25:08

AIBU to be really buoyed up after the nursing sister, who was going over my medical history before surgery yesterday, asked if it was possible I might be pregnant! I thought she was joking but she made it clear she considered it possible and I should think seriously before answering.
In two years I'll be 70! She made my day!

Luckygirl Sat 25-Feb-17 15:35:51

May I be the first to congratulate you! grin

Karanlouise Sat 25-Feb-17 15:44:32

I will be the 2nd. smile

Ana Sat 25-Feb-17 15:47:23

I might be a bit worried, myself, about why she thought I might be (seeing as she obviously know your age)...confused

Ana Sat 25-Feb-17 15:47:46

knew!

Esspee Sat 25-Feb-17 16:16:17

I had confirmed my DOB but she said it hadn't registered. Perhaps she was having a bad day but it had the opposite effect on me!
I have just returned from a sunshine holiday and am feeling wonderful, even with two big chunks cut out of my scalp. Every time it throbs I just think of how great it felt when she asked me that question.

Ana Sat 25-Feb-17 16:19:09

Well I'm very glad you're feeling OK after your surgery Esspee! smile

Esspee Sat 25-Feb-17 16:23:02

Thanks Ana.......and for the avoidance of doubt I may have put on a couple of pounds on holiday but I don't have a baby tummy.

Deedaa Sat 25-Feb-17 21:50:20

Have you thought of a name yet Esspee grin

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 22:08:36

Just be aware that you will be in your 80s when you have a hellish teenager to contend with.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Feb-17 22:11:42

At the other end of the spectrum..... I was automatically given "senior citizen" tickets at the cinema on Thursday evening. I've not reached retirement age yet. sad

rosesarered Sat 25-Feb-17 22:46:56

grin Chewy how very dare they?On the other hand, think of the money you will save!
Espee glad your surgery went well, I think I would have been pleased as well, but maybe, yes, also a little worried that she needed a good sleep.grin

grannypiper Sun 26-Feb-17 09:50:50

EssPee are you reading for the potty training ?

kathcraigs Sun 26-Feb-17 11:09:11

l've been in and out of hospital a lot recently, and when l had to have an xray after my hip replacement, l was asked if there was "any chance l might be pregnant?"
l replied no, not unless there'd been three wise men and a camel heading for West Yorkshire, and the lady laughed.
A while ago a friend and l went to a pub for lunch. This pub has a "silver specials" deal for people over 50. The lady serving us tentatively said "are you part of our silver specials?" then looked at me and said "ooh no, you aren't!"
l'm 60 next year, so l was thrilled!

Esspee Sun 26-Feb-17 11:45:27

Chewbacca, I would just accept the perks of the younger generation's errors. Hope you didn't offer to pay the full amount.

Esspee Sun 26-Feb-17 11:52:57

Planning to try to wash all the bloody gloop out of my hair this afternoon so that I don't have to go around with a scarf wrapped round my head. Neighbour jokingly asked me yesterday if I had converted.
The ache has gone but should it return I will use what worked well over the last two days - Pinot Noir wine

Chewbacca Sun 26-Feb-17 11:54:04

I did not Esspee! grin Didn't do my ego much good though!

Chicklette Sun 26-Feb-17 12:35:04

A doctor recently asked me the same question. I explained that at 56 and having had a hysterectomy it was highly unlikely. I asked when I would stop being asked and he said at around 58! Ah well, not long to go now...

chelseababy Sun 26-Feb-17 13:26:38

I was carrying a small case up the steps at the station the other day when a young lady asked if I would like any help! I thanked her for offering. I'm 63 but it made me feel ancient!

mazza245 Sun 26-Feb-17 14:11:53

A friend and I went into a cafe and I ordered, the waitress of a certain age herself said, will your mother be having the same? Oh blimey! My friend, who is 4 years older than me, was not happy! I wouldn't have been either, I felt awful. My friend does not look much older than me at all! The waitress felt dreadful and said she just hadn't looked properly!

Swanny Sun 26-Feb-17 14:22:35

I was talking with a consultant about having a bladder operation about 25 years ago and was asked if I might be pregnant. I asked him if he'd read my notes and if my previous operation for a hysterectomy was included. He had the grace to look embarrassed and apologised.

lizzypopbottle Sun 26-Feb-17 15:11:55

I think people often do box ticking on your behalf by rote, with their head down looking at the form rather than looking at you. I'm fit and well but a nicely brought up young man kindly offered to help me with my suitcase recently. I accepted with a smile. If it had been a young woman, I'm not so sure I'd have been pleased. Crazy, or what?

Grannybags Sun 26-Feb-17 15:18:41

My sister is 8 years older than me and when we were younger was mistaken for my mother. On another occasion someone thought she was our mother's sister! She wasn't very happy about either!!

janeainsworth Sun 26-Feb-17 15:29:37

It annoys me when people taking medical histories just tick the boxes and don't think about what they're asking.
It makes me wonder what other parts of their job they do without thinking.
DD2 had grommets put in her ears when she was 5. The nurse taking her history asked if she was married.
I gave her a withering glare and asked if she thought it looked like it.

Kim19 Sun 26-Feb-17 16:12:26

I'm regularly assumed to be younger than I am and, in my heart, I find it rather uplifting and flattering. However........I have not a moments' doubt that this has to do with my attitude and CERTAINLY NOT looks. What is someone supposed to look like at any given age, by the way?! There's no template. My attitude tends to be upbeat and positive. In a shoe shop recently my son and I were considered to be an 'item'. He is 48 (and still in recovery!) and we regularly joke about it. He should be so lucky!