Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit is it final??

(145 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 26-Feb-17 15:16:13

Like almost 16,000,000 I voted Remain and do respect the result of the referendum. However the whole exercise was so flawed and the long term effects as yet unknown that I feel Parliament and may be the people should have another chance when the final terms are known. Tony Blair (whom I can never forgive for Iraq) spoke many truths about Brexit particularly one at all costs. The situation in Europe is changing and we may be better off out of it but only time will tell and when it does Parliament should be free to vote and perhaps call the whole thing off.

Ana Mon 27-Feb-17 20:49:57

(which seems out of character, somehow...)

joannewton46 Mon 27-Feb-17 20:56:16

I sincerely hope so! Where Europe has done something good for us we have the option to keep it, but otherwise the sooner we'rte out the better. As for "negotiating" our exit, if they don't like it, we should just walk away.

Ankers Mon 27-Feb-17 21:12:38

durhamjen, I do wish you would read the post correctly.

That is a really bad summation of what I wrote. And somewhat alarming if that is how you read things in general.

rozina Mon 27-Feb-17 21:21:46

Sorry, the vote was cast. I'm pleased about Brexit for masses of reasons. We can get our fishing stocks back, we can save huge amounts paying into the membership of the EU. We won't have to send huge amounts of money in foreign aid to countries like India that are building spacecraft and have verbally told us they don't want the money. We can save money on the Ethiopian Spice Girls who have received millions of British Taxpayers money when our NHS is in deficit. We can sell any mis-shaped bananas we want now, instead of having to be a certain shape. We can stop immigration or decrease it if we want to, we can contain our borders, make our own laws. HOW CAN ANYONE POSSIBLY SAY THEY WANT TO REMAIN WHEN YOU READ THE LONG LIST IS BEYOND ME.

Hollycat Mon 27-Feb-17 21:29:58

We have HAD the Referendum. It's over! Everybody received a £9m leaflet through their door stating exactly what could be expected if we LEFT and what a dreadful mistake it would be. Celebrities from the four corners of the world were dragged in to preach to us. The IMF, the Bank of England, David Cameron, President Obama, politicians of all colours from all nations explained ad nauseam the terrors of leaving the single market, the customs union and the loss of free movement of people from the EU. We heard it all. We did. We understood it. Yes, we did! We REALLY did! But we decided that the straightjacket we had been strapped into for the last forty years was too high a price, and freedom to choose our own path, with our own laws and opportunities for US to decide who we want to trade with and the conditions on which this new trade should be based was far more important. We understand that some immigration is necessary and desirable, but it must be controlled. Yes, 1/5th of all EU migrants work in the NHS and that's a good thing - or would be if they only worked for the indigenous population. But they don't. The other 4/5ths they drag along with them are putting an unbearable, unsustainable strain on every part of our resources - a city the size of Newcastle arrive here EVERY YEAR. We can't absorb all these people. For all these reasons and a good many others, we voted OUT - Theresa May seems to have a good grip of things. We don't need a vote at the end of the negotiations - what's the point? The EU will negotiate on behalf of the 27 and will have no appetite to go back to each country if, at the end, we have a vote on the outcome and decide we don't like it. We will have already signed Article 50 and they will have no necessity to rehash their arguments. It's OVER! For heaven's sake let us go!

petra Mon 27-Feb-17 21:31:18

I watched Panorama. Those two Asian gentlemen commenting on the Roma were a couple of racist bigots, weren't they? But I suppose it's ok for one minority to make those remarks about another minority grin
Were the police being racist as well, or just telling the truth as to the way they see the situation?

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 21:48:53

I wasn't summing it up, Ankers.
I assume that everyone who tells me something is telling me the truth.
You obviously don't. Never mind. Maybe it's the circles you move in.

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 21:50:26

That's a very expensive leaflet, Hollycat.

Ankers Mon 27-Feb-17 22:19:29

I assume that everyone who tells me something is telling me the truth.

Good grief!

I thought I was naive!

And whatever you call it of what I wrote, is still utterly wrong. Bizarre.

POGS Mon 27-Feb-17 22:22:18

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/06/cameron-to-push-case-remain-eu-with-9m-taxpayer-funded-publicity-blitz

"Every household in England will receive a glossy 14-page booklet through their letterbox next week making the case for Britain to remain in the European Union, as the government kicks off a £9m taxpayer-funded publicity blitz."

You are correct Hollycat , I thought it was common knowledge, certainly spoken of before on GN.

POGS Mon 27-Feb-17 22:23:20

Holycat

The problem is some posters just like to 'bait' others , take no notice.

POGS Mon 27-Feb-17 22:25:12

Hollycat before some prat tells me I've spelt your name wrong,

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 22:25:19

I thought you post was rather good Hollycat smile

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 22:28:11

Explains why we can't afford to house the homeless, if everyone's leaflet cost £9 million.
That must be why the government owes so much.

rosesarered Mon 27-Feb-17 22:41:37

You have already done that 'joke' djen don't wear it out!

durhamjen Mon 27-Feb-17 22:55:43

Well, at least you understand it was a joke, roses. POGS calls it baiting.

POGS Mon 27-Feb-17 23:25:29

durhamjen

I understood your 'joke' fine re Hollycat and the £9 million for leaflet ' per household ' .

I posted to assure him/her that not everybody read his/her post without needing to result to unneccessary sarcasm/baiting.

Hollycat Tue 28-Feb-17 03:19:05

Hi POGS I quite like 'Holycat', I shall go and polish my halo! and I'm a 'her', Durhamjen?

Chewing19Fescue Tue 28-Feb-17 08:17:50

As a strong Remainer on the grounds of the benefits of peace, co-operation, free trade, security, human rights and geography. Additionally and crucially I have worked alongside a local authority for many years, witnessing the chaos that ensues when a decision is made to cut, reduce or significantly change an essential service. Everything that has been built up over many years or decades goes into free fall as no-one knows what the future will be. Skills, knowledge and experience are lost and people's lives are affected whilst everyone at the top changes and subsequently argues their case. Eventually, often after a number of false starts, some sort of compromise is worked out to continue to deliver the service. By that time, numerous people's lives and health, social or other needs have been put on hold, pending the far off day when it will be working properly. Or will it ? Not so far.
As an analogy it only goes so far because here we are not actually dependent on the whim or potentially unfavourable bargaining terms that we will now be entering into with other countries, having isolated ourselves.