Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be grumpy about a biscuit?

(51 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 06:51:39

Not even 7am on a Saturday and I am awake and fed up. It was bad enough when the factory flooded last year and there was a shortage of bourbons and ginger nuts. Yesterday they were saying in Tesco that my favourite biscuit of all - the pink wafer - is being discontinued forever more. Apparently it's the 'pink' thing - sexist and not 'gender neutral' enough. I'm condemned to a life of boring vanilla wafers all because people are taking PC to extremes. A little thing but I'm starting the day feeling grumpy angry

(I'm not very good with change - I'm still not over the fact Kellogg's stopped making Puffa Puffa Rice and that was around 1975. Still crave it!)

Cherrytree59 Sat 01-Apr-17 08:45:13

Having just digested your post cari

could you arrange a GN petition.
I will be first to sign.
Oh may be GN March
I can organise some PINK placards

Auntieflo Sat 01-Apr-17 08:45:57

Had forgotten what day it is,and I'm only just really awake shock, but when I read the OP, without seeing the pic, my tummy did a flip-flop. I really don't like those wafers, too sickly. I'll get up now and go and sort out my phone,that's another tale.

Jalima Sat 01-Apr-17 09:09:24

Hurray hurray, best bit of news I have heard in a long time!
MIL used to offer them as a treat, like munching cardboard.

wink wink lol

shysal Sat 01-Apr-17 09:16:51

wink Ha Ha!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 11:28:32

mawbroon as if!! And I love a caramel wafer

KatyK Sat 01-Apr-17 17:49:22

Well I absolutely LOVE pink wafers. I would choose them over any biscuit smile

grannypiper Sat 01-Apr-17 18:46:44

Mawbroonthe latest deep fried delight is the creme egg. Here in healthy Scotland pizza is deep fried when you buy it from the chippy but even i was taken aback last week, i was in the queue in a chippy and the girl in front of me asked for a pizza supper and the guy behind the counter asked her if she wanted it in batter !

MawBroon Sat 01-Apr-17 19:30:06

Yay!!
Wha'daur batter wi' me?

MawBroon Sat 01-Apr-17 19:30:55

Deep fried Tunnocks Teacakes next?

janeainsworth Sat 01-Apr-17 19:35:33

Did anyone hear Richard Dimbleby on the Today programme this morning talking about the spaghetti harvest in Northern Italy?
First broadcast 1-4-57
grin

paddyann Sat 01-Apr-17 20:10:23

try Bounty bars deep fried in batter and served with pineapple sorbet .......even Nigella likes those

Stansgran Sat 01-Apr-17 20:11:30

I remember the original . Evidently we were expecting a Hungarian bishop Yadslo Oflirpa in the cathedral today wearing a green cope. Very tall man. He was intending to be casual but expected people to kiss his ring. Yadslo Oflirpa. Hmm we fell for it.

annsixty Sat 01-Apr-17 21:06:16

The spaghetti harvest was THE first and THE best. Richard Dimbleby was so respected and so believable, it was just so unexpected.

durhamjen Sat 01-Apr-17 21:18:57

Have Kelloggs stopped making Puffa Puffa Rice?

Have you tried Natures Path Rice Puffs?

Ana Sat 01-Apr-17 21:37:20

I can't believe the spaghetti harvest spoof was so long ago!

I can still see it now on our tiny tv screen, and of course as I was only about 6 I just accepted that it was true!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 22:44:56

Nothing is quite like Puffa Puffa

And confession time - I LOATHE pink wafers - they are probably my least favourite biscuit (joint with Nice and custard creams)

durhamjen Sat 01-Apr-17 23:02:33

www.google.com/url?q=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/12/15/pink-wafer-maker-rivington-biscuits-goes-administration/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwitwZCFoYTTAhXH1hQKHdZ5C-0QFggFMAA&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGsekfvFGeKEbcO-NTe_T3mtUEJiQ

It's not the pink thing. It's Brexit! Sorry, cari.

Jalima Sun 02-Apr-17 00:12:32

Tunnocks Tea Cakes - now you're talking.

We could use the pink wafers for loft insulation.

durhamjen Sun 02-Apr-17 00:16:04

So long as you haven't got any mice in your loft.

Jalima Sun 02-Apr-17 00:27:50

Munch munch

Jalima Sun 02-Apr-17 00:28:25

I meant because they are more like cardboard than food!

durhamjen Sun 02-Apr-17 00:48:23

Mice will eat anything! They'll use them for nests in the loft, nice pink nests.

Bellanonna Sun 02-Apr-17 00:51:51

I believed it ana and I was 16! The only spaghetti I knew about then was orange and mushy and came out of tins.

shysal Sun 02-Apr-17 11:12:51

I remember enjoying the Esther Rantzen That's Life spoof about the Lirpa Loof animal in a zoo. I recall that it mimicked the members of the public and had purple poo!

Cindersdad Tue 04-Apr-17 08:28:00

We all have favorite biscuits, a very individual thing, and as we get older our tastes do change. I've lost my preference for the sweeter biscuits especially cream ones. Now I prefer thin ginger ones from IKEA, Oatcakes with soft cheese, shops' OATIES (ALDI's better than Hobnobs in my view). My problem is that I'm a biscuit addict in that 1 or 2 are never enough, once the packet is opened the whole ear eaten far too quickly. I get grumpy because my wife bar me from having biscuits and I do get withdrawal symptoms.

Higher fat biscuits give me heartburn which is probably why I tend to avoid the likes of Bourbon, Custard Creams etc. Howver, if that is all that is left they are not safe and then I suffer!!!