Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be grumpy about a biscuit?

(50 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 06:51:39

Not even 7am on a Saturday and I am awake and fed up. It was bad enough when the factory flooded last year and there was a shortage of bourbons and ginger nuts. Yesterday they were saying in Tesco that my favourite biscuit of all - the pink wafer - is being discontinued forever more. Apparently it's the 'pink' thing - sexist and not 'gender neutral' enough. I'm condemned to a life of boring vanilla wafers all because people are taking PC to extremes. A little thing but I'm starting the day feeling grumpy angry

(I'm not very good with change - I'm still not over the fact Kellogg's stopped making Puffa Puffa Rice and that was around 1975. Still crave it!)

ginny Sat 01-Apr-17 06:56:43

wink

kittylester Sat 01-Apr-17 07:05:19

Things are not what they were, Cari. sad

absent Sat 01-Apr-17 07:05:48

Yes, you are being silly and, yes, Tesco is being ridiculous and they are truly awful bics for grown-ups. I have to admit that my two-year-old grandson loves them and sometimes they are the favourite for the five-year-old.

On a pink stuff thing, it should just be normal. You don't stop make pink strawberry-flavoured things because pink has, apparently, become a colour that has political issues. Are they going to do that with yogurt and ice cream? It's a colour! Banning it, of course, makes the issue more sexist. How very silly!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 07:12:16

I have to say I have never got over the Puffa Puffa Rice thing - I have literally craved it for 40 years. Far nicer than anything they make these days

absent Sat 01-Apr-17 07:22:24

I bake biscuits – so much cheaper than buying and incredibly easy. My grandchildren rave about Tollhouse Cookies, Snickerdoodles and Smores, much to the annoyance of their friends (except the ones who get invited here).

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 07:23:47

Think you my need to supply us with recipes! I do bake for DD as she is allergic to wheat so can't have most shop bought ones. But I do like a sneaky wafer myself

kittylester Sat 01-Apr-17 07:24:58

I blame Brexit!

loopyloo Sat 01-Apr-17 07:27:41

I blame the EU ! It will be better after brexit.

grannylyn65 Sat 01-Apr-17 07:34:49

Wot, no more pink biscs??? Were favourites in Old Folks Home !!!!!

Tizliz Sat 01-Apr-17 07:48:35

Radio scotland has just had on a lovely article about the problems of european plants when we leave the EU, and also the British plants in Europe.

jacksmum Sat 01-Apr-17 07:52:18

Very good OP post , lol lol, especially on todays date !! lol

cornergran Sat 01-Apr-17 07:52:29

Hmm just thought about the date confused.

Luckygirl Sat 01-Apr-17 07:56:16

A gender neutral biscuit! - now I have heard everything!

Personally I like a masculine biscuit - full-bodied with a hint of stubble. grin

ffinnochio Sat 01-Apr-17 07:57:26

Fake news. smile

annsixty Sat 01-Apr-17 07:58:23

I usually read through the newspapers very carefully on this day but I really didn't expect anything from GNHQ. Well done.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 07:58:53

Luckygirl - me too grin

ffinnochio - but surely and bigly there is no such thing?!

PRINTMISS Sat 01-Apr-17 08:05:03

I agree with Tesco, Pink biscuits are certainly sexist, and should be withdrawn from sale. (I don't like them anyway!)wink

MawBroon Sat 01-Apr-17 08:07:27

After Brexit I understand Nice biscuits are to be renamed Brighton biscuits, Bourbon creams, Bromleys, Garibaldis will be Corbyns and Paris wafers will be Londons
If Sturgeon has her wicked way we can expect to say goodbye to Tunnocks teacakes and Caramel Wafers too I fear sad

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 08:31:14

Noooo not the caramel wafers?????! Though - and this may be controversial - not fond of a Tunnock's tea cake. The M&S ones however....... Way too fond

Pittcity Sat 01-Apr-17 08:37:34

We'll be smuggling shortbread next!

Anya Sat 01-Apr-17 08:38:41

And today is.....??

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 08:38:56

Love shortbread

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Apr-17 08:39:22

Anya - Saturday gringrin

MawBroon Sat 01-Apr-17 08:42:10

h - and this may be controversial - not fond of a Tunnock's tea cake. The M&S ones however

That is indeed controversial and an insult to Sturgeon Scots everywhere. You'll be decrying deep-fried Mars bars next grin