Gransnet forums

AIBU

Was the boiler man out of order?

(43 Posts)
meep Wed 05-Apr-17 16:07:50

I had my annual boiler service this morning. The person who usually does it is away and so they sent someone else instead. He was perfectly pleasant but I was horrified to see him climbing onto (then standing on) the kitchen worktop wearing his dirty boots. I appreciate the boiler is quite high up and a chair or ladder may not provide the correct angle but surely you would either take off the boots (I will be honest and say that sweaty socks are not that appealing either but at least they have not been tramping about outside in who knows what) or preferably put down a cloth or a piece of board or something first? AIBU to be horrified by this? Is it common practice? I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. I have been dettoling the worktop ever since

Kitspurr Thu 06-Apr-17 14:42:43

Was too fussy. I wouldn't have even batted an eyelid and I'm as houseproud as the next person. Mind you, I have lived through lots of house renovations, so am probably immune to the faux pas(?) of the trades!

Victoria08 Thu 06-Apr-17 14:49:02

I recently requested a quote for a new bathroom installation.

When the chap turned up he pulled out a pair of blue plastic bags to put over his outdoor shoes before he proceeded upstairs.

I was genuinely surprised and pleased to say the least.

I have never encountered this behaviour before.
I wish all tradesmen would do the same.

If someone had trampled all over my worktop, I could not have kept quiet.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:12:51

Yes, radicalnan I can relate to that. I had to wipe over the boiler after the man had installed the 'smartmeter'. I provided a folding step for him to use so he didn't have to stand on the worktop.
Also the so-called 'smartmeter' lost the signal after about ten days so that was a load of b@!l*:£s wasn't it?

ginny Thu 06-Apr-17 15:30:28

Of course he was out of order. I'm sure he or his employed would not have wanted the bill for a new workshop had he scratched it.

joannewton46 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:39:18

My boiler man always climbs on the worktop as it's the only way to reach the boiler. BUT he always puts a sheet down first. Complaint to the company required but keep it in perspective - one go with dettol is enough!

pollyperkins Thu 06-Apr-17 18:22:34

I agree with Joannenewton - he was out of order but keep it in proportion - one wipe over with dettol is enough! However I would complain to his company - he should know not to do that!

Coolgran65 Thu 06-Apr-17 20:48:43

My first thought was that his boots might scratch the worktop. It can always be cleaned - scratches are generally a permanent issue.

CardiffJaguar Sat 08-Apr-17 22:15:25

Northamptonshire was part of another conversation at that time and Corby looked quite right but Corgi is of course the correct title for registration of fitters. Sorry.

Penstemmon Sun 09-Apr-17 08:26:57

Oh!I would not have been v bothered! I do it all the time to change a light bulb, sort out the blind when it gets stuck. Find this obsession with cleanliness &germs unhealthy! confused

thatbags Sun 09-Apr-17 09:20:34

Same here, pen. All you need is a bit of soap and hot water (actually, I think cold water works too). Do you actually prepare food directly on your kitchen work surfaces? Even if you do, work surfaces are washable, same as chopping boards.

Where was he supposed to stand to reach the boiler? The counter would be less safe with a towel on it too—the towel could slip and he could fall.

Just clean the dirt up, for goodness' sake!

thatbags Sun 09-Apr-17 09:21:13

Kitchen surfaces don't need to be sterile anyway. It's a kitchen, not an operating theatre.

Floradora9 Sun 09-Apr-17 17:28:01

That is harsh thatbags I would be annoyed too if that happened to me . It reminds me of going to Butlins when our children were young. A light did not work and the man they sent to change the bulb stood on a bed to change it and left a great big footprint on the sheet. We complained about that.

thatbags Sun 09-Apr-17 21:46:11

Not harsh at all, just plain sense. Hard surfaces are easy to clean.

I'd probably be miffed about a footprint on a bed sheet too. Was there only a sheet on the bed? No blankets/duvets/bedspreads? How weird.

Penstemmon Mon 10-Apr-17 08:41:44

It would take less than a minute to spray & wipe a kitchen surface..no harm done!

TriciaF Mon 10-Apr-17 13:16:18

I agree thatbags and penstemmon.
It wouldn't bother me.
Our boilerman is due this pm - due to a recurrent problem with our old boiler. I'll have to ask him what he thinks smile

tiredoldwoman Mon 10-Apr-17 13:43:06

It wouldn't bother me either . I would have just been delighted that he'd turned as promised ! Then given the worktop a bleachy wash .

TriciaF Mon 10-Apr-17 17:53:38

He said he'd never had any complaints - as tiredoldwoman says, his clients are just glad he turned up;