Gransnet forums

AIBU

Militarisation of our society

(114 Posts)
trisher Fri 07-Apr-17 22:40:38

When I was growing up most of the men I knew had served in at least one war and some had served in 2. I never remember any of these men doing anything to draw attention to this. They never wore any form of uniform, never wore their medals even on Remembrance Day and never really spoke about their experiences. Today I see ex-soldiers wearing berets and medals at many events. I wonder if this is a sign of some sort of militarisation and increasing glorification of war, something I know the men I knew as I was growing up would have entirely rejected. I find it disturbing.

rosesarered Wed 12-Apr-17 10:26:01

So why is it called military service?

trisher Wed 12-Apr-17 10:27:44

Cyprus is equally as difficult. It remains a divided country part of which is occupied by the Turkish, and it is still monitored by UN forces. It has a huge military presence altogether so might understandably want to have its own contribution.

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 10:32:54

They never wore any form of uniform, never wore their medals even on Remembrance Day and never really spoke about their experiences.
I have a photo of my father laying a wreath on Remembrance Day; he wasn't wearing a blazer but was wearing a suit and his medals. He didn't speak about his experiences to me but he did to my DB and to my DH.

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 10:33:08

ps that would have been in the 1960s btw

trisher Wed 12-Apr-17 10:54:08

I was talking about all the men I knew Jalima-I didn't know your father. We did have a Remembrance service in our school every year. None of the masters wore their medals, although at least one of them had evidence of being wounded.
I do wish people would understand that what this thread about is the increased militarism that is being fed to our young people as being the norm and the fact that this is closely linked to the proliferation of the arms industry. Add to that the propaganda we are fed about removing selected 'tyrants' who we have previously supplied with arms and we have a situation that should not be tolerated in a civilised democracy

durhamjen Wed 12-Apr-17 11:27:38

I agree, trisher. I never heard anyone talk about the war, apart from the fact that that was how my parents met. My dad and his brothers never talked about what they did in the war.
My brother sent for my dad's medals, as he was in the army. My dad didn't want to know. My dad joined the Burma Star Association when he was in his late 70s because he had heard there weren't many of them left. He went to meetings, but never went to any cenotaph parades.

NanaandGrampy Wed 12-Apr-17 14:19:35

I think there is a clear divide between those who are or were conscripted into military service and those that join as career military.

Although most of those conscripted for the WWs went willingly in a belief to serve it was not a choice for them. They did not have extensive training and many had absolutely no idea what they were going to. Therefore I think that could be one of the reasons they were less willing to talk about their experiences.

Also WW1 & 2 were really the last 2 wars where a great deal of the fighting was face-to-face. The experiences of that would certainly have been traumatic.

Much more of todays warfare is done at a distance with more limited hand to hand combat. The experiences are very different.

durhamjen Wed 12-Apr-17 14:45:57

My dad wasn't conscripted. He joined well before the war, as his dad and grandad had both been soldiers, and he followed them.

trisher Wed 12-Apr-17 14:50:55

As far as fighting is concerned I wonder how many people know about the development of land mines. They originally killed anyone who stepped on one, but were redesigned by arms manufacturers to only badly injure. The idea being that if you killed a soldier his mates carried on fighting, if you badly injured him his mates and several other soldiers would be tied up caring for him. I have heard that the person responsible for this innovation kept a model of the land mine on his desk, he was so proud of his invention.

durhamjen Wed 12-Apr-17 15:22:53

Oh, nice, trisher. Which company is making lots of money out of that one?

rosesarered Wed 12-Apr-17 16:41:46

There is no evidence of the UK becoming militarised at all, think that this may only be something pacifists would come up with.hmm

Abonet Wed 12-Apr-17 16:54:29

People can see and hear it though, rosesarered.

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:56:21

I was talking about all the men I knew Jalima-I didn't know your father
You never know though trisher, it's a small world full of coincidences!