Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect the shop to close ?

(110 Posts)
Izzywizzy Thu 18-May-17 18:44:12

It was business as usual at our local supermarket but as I walked in I sensed all was not well. I decided to go and get a coffee and as I was paying I commented on things not feeling right. She replied by telling me that a man had just died and that the staff were upset.

I then realised that what I had been looking at was a make shift 'screen' around the poor man. The screen looked like box sides opened up so we couldn't see him but it was only about knee high.

The man had been there for an hour she said and during this time shoppers did their shopping with most of them having to push their trolley very close by him to leave the shop.

I felt quite upset knowing this man was just feet away from me as I supped my coffee and decided to leave the store.

What I would like to know is AIBU to expect the shop to close for an hour or so while the shop waited for the undertakers to arrive ? Surely this man deserved some dignity and the staff also needed some time to get over what they had just witnessed ?

Jalima1108 Thu 18-May-17 21:08:53

A doctor must have been called to pronounce that the poor man was dead.

I have seen an ambulance arrive at our local supermarket on more than a few occasions and hoped that whoever required it was treated with speed and recovered.

Ana Thu 18-May-17 21:23:01

I've seen one several times at our local supermarket, but they just go in to buy sandwiches...(I know because I've watched them!)

Izzywizzy Thu 18-May-17 22:02:46

An ambulance was outside the shop and as it happened I looked at them and they were chatting so I thought that they had just popped in for sandwiches. The cafe assistant said they tried to save him even the air ambulance attended so absolutely no complaints there.

I agree with the comment that the shop should have closed to new customers and the shoppers inside could then be guided away from the poor man as they could then go out of the shop the way shoppers normally go in. This wasn't a huge supermarket in a city,it's in a small market town and I'm saddened that people carried on buying their every day food around a dead body. He was next to the self service and they kept it open !

I feel better for talking about it here so thank you. But it's not about me,it's about that poor man and his family. And a money grabbing supermarket.

trisher Thu 18-May-17 22:12:26

I'm surprised they didn't cordon off a larger area around the body. He must have died well before the ambulance arrived. If the crew had thought there was any chance of saving him they would have taken him to hospital. It would have been more thoughtful to restrict access to the aisle.

BlueBelle Thu 18-May-17 22:23:41

We don't know the ins and outs of the case or why it took an hour but the main thing is he wasnt lying having a painful heart attack in some secluded spot with no one around to find him or help him I d far rather fall to the ground in a crowd than in a lonely area or alone in a house and not found for days or even weeks There often is no dignity in death .....or being born that's just how it is
Say a prayer for the man and don't bear the burden of how he ended life, look after yourself, he's sounds as if he was outside any pain from the first moment he fell to the ground if only it was this good for us all .... each person who witnessed it will have a different reaction and each must find their own way forward don't dwell on it izzy

thatbags Thu 18-May-17 22:31:17

How easy would it be to close a supermarket unexpectedly and at an unusual time? Not very easy, I should think, depending on how big a shop it was and how busy. I don't think it's right to assume that whatever managers were on duty acted out of callousness. They may have felt that not making a fuss (such as closing the shop, which would have to be explained) kept the incident more discreet than not. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Anniebach Thu 18-May-17 22:32:50

Do ambulances remove a corpse ?

norose4 Thu 18-May-17 23:02:46

As far as I am aware if a person has died,an ambulance does not take them anywhere. An undertaker does that.

When my Dad died in an hospice at midnight, we had about three quarters of an hour to get our own undertaker, or the hospice would contact one of their choice to take his body away, & although they were very sympathetic about it they were also very firm .

callgirl1 Fri 19-May-17 00:15:36

Yes, the store should have been closed, but if this was not possible, a higher screen should have been put around the gentleman.
A few years ago, a friend of mine was in town with her dad when he collapsed. She dialled 999, the ambulance came, they certified him dead, then left, saying that they weren`t allowed to convey a dead person, they did, however, help her to get him into her car, and she drove him to the hospital herself. She was extremely distressed over it.

stillaliveandkicking Fri 19-May-17 01:10:32

Yes, must have been upsetting for everyone. Totally agree with Jalima, the isle and the surrounding are should have been cordoned off. But I guess most don't really know what to do in that situation and if there's no one capable of dealing with things then they won't be dealt with totally appropriately.

harrigran Fri 19-May-17 08:25:50

With a sudden, unexpected death the body is not removed by ambulance. The coroner is informed and the body removed under the care of this officer until cause of death is established.

BlueBelle Fri 19-May-17 08:51:47

Personally I think the highest dignity we can afford this gentleman or anyone ever involved in an accident or death is first see if we can help and if not move away not to stand and stare for entertainment, shock, or curiosity

inishowen Fri 19-May-17 09:25:49

I think they should have closed the shop, or at least closed the aisle where he was.

Mauriherb Fri 19-May-17 09:29:24

Sadly the shop staff probably don't have the authority to close the shop. It must have been very upsetting for them

PamQS Fri 19-May-17 09:30:15

I don't think YABU to be upset, but maybe it's a bit unreasonable to expect the supermarket to close while the details of his removal were sorted out. I agree that they could have closed off an aisle, rather than just screened the body. He would have to have been pronounced dead by a doctor before anything else could happen, also his family would need to authorise any removal of the body I think, and maybe the police would have to attend as it was an unexpected death. There will also have to be an autopsy and an inquest, so there may be legal requirements about the removal of the body.

Have you thought of contacting the supermarket to express your concern? They might be able to explain further and set your mind at rest.

IngeJones Fri 19-May-17 09:38:00

It would have been prudent to close off a larger area, for health and safety reasons.

Luckylegs9 Fri 19-May-17 09:39:50

So sorry Izzy, I would have been upset too. I really think out of respect the shop should have closed, the very least the whole aisle, To think we are in a society where this is considered ok is sad. Is it such a big inconvenience to close for a couple of hours or wait for your shopping? , I do t think so.

TillyWhiz Fri 19-May-17 09:53:14

Why do you not contact the store manager and ask for an explanation, telling him it has upset you greatly?

Caro1954 Fri 19-May-17 09:54:31

So sorry, lizzy, horrible for you. I hope you have a happier day today. flowers

MinniesMum Fri 19-May-17 09:55:24

This happened in Bath a few years ago outside the department store. An elderly lady (judging by her "old lady"shoes. She was completely alone on the pavement with a rough brown blanket covering her but I still remember her little feet sticking out at the bottom. Everyone just walked round her but I was so upset we went back to the car park and drove home. I know she was dead and past caring whether she was alone or not but she was someone's Mum and probably Gran as well and it still bothers me 20 years on.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 19-May-17 09:55:29

Sudden deaths in public places usually involve the police/ coroners office as well as medical services. No doubt anyone who happened to be at the same place as the poor victim would have more knowledge later as it would possibly be on the local news.So until then everything else would be speculation. Plenty of that no doubt.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 19-May-17 10:05:05

Tillywhiz, are you for real?. I am sure the store manager had more to contend with than someone throwing a 'wobbly'and it had 'upset their day' because they 'happened' to be in the 'vicinity' when some one passed away.

radicalnan Fri 19-May-17 10:07:45

They could have closed that aisle and put staff at each end to explain to shoppers..........no respect now only for money

ExaltedWombat Fri 19-May-17 10:20:09

Good to feel sympathy for the poor man. But what were the staff to do? Clear the store, with all the aggravation and minor conflicts that would involve? Then collect in the canteen and... well, do what? Wait for a 'councillor' to arrive, who could spout a few platitudes? Some would decide they were too 'upset' to continue and want the rest of the day off.

No. Death is natural. This man seemed fortunate enough to escape a lingering, painful end - he fell over while shopping. His loved ones will mourn, the rest of us tip our hats and carry on.

Izzywizzy Fri 19-May-17 10:31:03

sarahellenwhitney At no point did I throw a 'wobbly' and the reason I wrote here was to see if anyone else agreed that the shop should have been closed for 2 hours. This was someone's loved one and I felt very sad that he was left for so long in the shop. It was not the shops fault it took so long. I also think it would have helped the staff to have had a break.