Gransnet forums

AIBU

to hate this weather

(158 Posts)
maisiegreen Mon 19-Jun-17 19:11:08

I'm sitting here, sweating. Not even doing anything, just melting like an ice lolly. I haven't got the energy to do anything. Roll on the end of the week and sensible weather.

Marydoll Mon 19-Jun-17 23:36:41

Today I bought a pure wool, winter coat in our M&S outlet. I looked ridiculous trying it on, as everyone around was melting. It was originally £100, but I only paid £14, so I willing to suffer for the sake of a bargain! grin

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Jun-17 23:41:50

DH's weather station measured 37C outside in the garden!!

This morning I vacuumed and cleaned the floors downstairs (just a quick mop) in preparation for a little person visiting tomorrow but now he can't come sad.
I didn't want to send him home to mummy filthy from my neglected floors!

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 20-Jun-17 00:09:02

Tizliz I saw your temperatures on the weather forecast - what a difference!

BlueBelle Tue 20-Jun-17 04:28:28

I can't stand it when people moan about the few good days we have, you can count our warm days on our one hand and still there are moans and groans
It's wonderful to have a proper summer day (even if it's only a week) to wake up to sunshine and feel some warmth in your bones People are smiling, the kids are out in the fresh air and my body is saying thank you thank you

Don't worry we ll be back to grey cold miserable days in a heart beat

JackyB Tue 20-Jun-17 07:05:47

I am in California at the moment visiting DGS and it is over 40 degrees. We are keeping to indoors with the aircon on. Even the locals are complaining. I don't think it's unreasonable to complain,as long as you don't complain when it's cold as well, as Missadventure says.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Jun-17 07:27:22

JackieB we get about one week a YEAR like this .....a bit different for you over there so no I don't expect to hear any groaning and moaning We put up with grey miserably rainy days most of our lives and as soon as the sun comes out everyone starts complaining
Bring on some fantastic sunny, blue skies, warm days

maisiegreen Tue 20-Jun-17 07:50:38

don't be so grumpy bluebelle . This IS the AIBU board, isn't this what it's about. And it's not warm weather, that's my point, it's too hot.

MissAdventure Tue 20-Jun-17 07:55:42

Yep. TOO hot..

Christinefrance Tue 20-Jun-17 08:44:48

The weather has changed BlueBelle and we get far less rain, snow etc than we did.
I agree its not unreasonable to dislike the heat, I hate it but love windy, cool days and even snow, not everyone is a sun worshipper. smile

Tizliz Tue 20-Jun-17 08:51:51

christinefrance we had no snow this winter at all, and not much rain either. The climate seems to have evened out in the last few years here.

Chewbacca Tue 20-Jun-17 08:52:16

Me too Christinefrance , cool days with a good breeze are perfect for me. And those days in late September when the sky is a deep blue, and there's a nip of autumn in the air. I have so much more energy when it's cooler. This heat just wipes me out.

whitewave Tue 20-Jun-17 08:54:55

How to enjoy this glorious weather

Shower

Slather yourself top to toe in sun cream

Dress in loose cotton trousers or shorts loose silk top with sleeves if you prefer or a loose dress but something that shields your skin from too many rays!!

Sun hat and sun glasses

Sandals

Enjoy the day until mid day then retreat to .the shade and enjoy an afternoon siesta with a good book.

Drink copiously - no alchohol - not good in the heat.

Late afternoon wake up shower and drift out for a meal or eat something easy at home.

Enjoy!!! It won't last long

rosesarered Tue 20-Jun-17 09:48:40

Ah, but that can only be done ww if you have no committments, later today we have to pick up and amuse two small children who will be hot and grumpy by then!

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Jun-17 09:51:15

We have to go to the supermarket - should be nice and cool in there grin
Yesterday I had mounds of washing to do and some housework - a step too far on a hot day.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Jun-17 09:52:28

paddling pool, paddling pool and a couple of plastic jugs!
With a parasol strategically placed to keep the sun off the DGC

Works wonders.

TriciaF Tue 20-Jun-17 09:56:53

It doesn't suit me either, but husband loves it. He was outside gardening yesterday in about 35°.
Most of the houses here have shutters and thick walls, so the locals close the shutters and stay indoors, where it's definitely cooler.

joannapiano Tue 20-Jun-17 10:13:21

On Sunday we rigged up a fan with an extension lead, and put it on our patio for our large bunny and fat cat. They lay in front of it most of the day.
DH's low blood pressure doesn't help him in this weather and he has to keep his fluid levels up all the time.
DGC were very ratty when they came out of school, yesterday.
Luckily, our 16 yr old gas finished her 10 GCSE's. Awful to take exams in the heat.

joannapiano Tue 20-Jun-17 10:15:44

"has" finished! Bloomin' warm in this conservatory.

W11girl Tue 20-Jun-17 10:27:27

As I said in another post....we don't have the problem here on the North East Coast. We have had lovely weather but not so that it stifles our daily activities. Today a bit cloudy but with a decent cool but not cold breeze. The seasons change by day here..so never really get a chance to put my winter clothes away or my umbrella! ...but happy I moved here away from London. Easy for me to say..I'm retired. Enjoy it for what it is..it won't last long.

kooklafan Tue 20-Jun-17 10:30:48

The thing is, when it's cold you can wrap up, when it's so hot, there's only so much you can do. Glad it's cooler today. I sympathise with those who have to work XX

glammanana Tue 20-Jun-17 10:31:24

I enjoy the sun from sitting in the shade of an apple tree in our garden,this is the first summer we have been able to sit outside since we have moved into our new bungalow from the flat we had,so fabulous to open back door and soak up the free Vit D rays into the body it makes you feel so much better

RAF Tue 20-Jun-17 10:34:24

It is so much easier when retired. I really feel for those having to commute. I am short, and in crowded tube trains I am jammed with my nose up at sweaty armpit height, and everyone's heads meet over my own.

I don't mind the heat, takes away the desire to do anything energetic, but prefer it to grey overcast days, which I find quite claustrophobic,if that makes sense?

SillyNanny321 Tue 20-Jun-17 10:36:46

Even here on the coast it is far too hot cant wait for it to drop a few degrees in a few days.
Feel so sorry for the baby Gulls on my extension flat roof. They must be sooo hot!

travelsafar Tue 20-Jun-17 10:50:48

I spent yesterday morning at the local outdoor swimming pool.It is the one used by Boots in their summer advert. It was heavenly.
Havent got time today to go as busy in the garden and greenhouse watering everything before it gets too hot, then off to play bowls this afternoon.

Hoping to go to the pool again tomorrow. Love this weather as long as i have factor 50 and a shady area to sit in if i want to cool down.

Margi Tue 20-Jun-17 10:58:23

Not necessarily ok in the country! Added to the heat, no breeze, we have constant screeching building machinery 7 days a week. With everybody selling off their big gardens for housing, it is just about all year every year.