Gransnet forums

AIBU

to hate this weather

(158 Posts)
maisiegreen Mon 19-Jun-17 19:11:08

I'm sitting here, sweating. Not even doing anything, just melting like an ice lolly. I haven't got the energy to do anything. Roll on the end of the week and sensible weather.

moobox Tue 20-Jun-17 10:59:42

Last evening a group of us were shown around an outdoor art trail in leafy woodland. Starting at 6pm after that hot day, that's what i call a summer evening stroll

Margs Tue 20-Jun-17 11:16:57

Not at all unreasonable - there's too cold and there's too hot.

No extremes are pleasant and in this weather I inwardly retch to see men who appear to be at least 2 years pregnant strolling along in shorts whilst beads of perspiration roll off their beer guts......No, no,no!

Musicelf Tue 20-Jun-17 11:17:15

I hate, hate this heat. I've done nothing all week except to slither from bed to sofa to chair to bed. I won't go outside and I'm dreading having to go down to London tomorrow. My asthma plays up in hot weather, and my every crevice gets sweaty and uncomfortable.

Did I mention that I hate this heat?

cc Tue 20-Jun-17 11:23:59

I loathe really hot weather as I sweat in even moderate sunshine - I think my thermostat conked out permanently at menopause - and just drip hideously all day. Also I have very pale skin so burn in minutes, but I laughed when I read whitewave's suggestion that we should wear sun tan cream, I would sweat it off in seconds!

Craftycat Tue 20-Jun-17 11:40:00

About to head out to the sunbed for the afternoon with my Kindle.
Love it!! I take an electric fan out with me though so I can keep my face cool while the rest of me toasts.
It will be nice to get to Greece next week though to cool down a bit.

Sheilasue Tue 20-Jun-17 11:40:59

I am sitting here melting, feel so uncomfortable, glad I am not the only one who suffers.
I read all the advice for keeping cool. Blinds on the windows closed, cold drinks etc still feel like I am in a sauna.
Going to get cooler the end of the week, thank goodness.

Rosina Tue 20-Jun-17 11:44:35

I hate this weather with a vengeance - it makes me sleepless, irritable and unable to do anything other than sit in front of a fan and whine - my family hate me in hot weather. I also feel homicidal maniac tendencies coming to the fore. I just hope that nobody says 'Innit lovely?' because they are likely to get a punch on the nose at worst or be told to go and look at themselves in a full length mirror because they must look as hot, sweaty and beetroot faced as I do. Roll on the beautiful soft autumn - it can't come soon enough. And yes - the beer
gut/vest/tattoo brigade are also lucky that I don't have a machine gun. Did I mention too that I don't like hot weather...?

Barmyoldbat Tue 20-Jun-17 11:51:33

Bluebells agree with you all the way, make the most of these long hot sunny days, use it as an excuse to lie in the shade just reading or whatever as its too hot for housework. But I am sorry for those at work it's not so easy. Maybe we should make any really hot day a national holiday. I love any weather except dull rainy days.

Christinefrance Tue 20-Jun-17 11:51:39

cc - think that's what happened to me too, post menopausal thermostat failure. I don't really feel the cold too much but the heat knocks me out.

Daisyboots Tue 20-Jun-17 12:18:29

I woke up to a message from my son asking me to put the money in his account to buy a fan. He had sent it in the the middle of the night so obviously he couldn't sleep. He is on the coast in Suffolk and I am in Portugal where it has been over 40C in the shade since last week. Looked at his forecast and it said a max of 20. Ours says a max of 38C hopefully it will be down to 30 by the weekend. Even my husband says it's too hot.

grannybuy Tue 20-Jun-17 12:23:49

We don't get quite such high temperatures here in NE Scotland - 24deg for a couple of days. I love it, and wish it would last longer. I'm not a sun bather, but enjoy warm air. This makes me feel as if I'm on holiday. Back to 17deg today, and most summer days will be around 15deg, maybe less. Appreciate that it is harder to work in, and make an effort, though.

Mauriherb Tue 20-Jun-17 12:31:26

I never complain about the cold. I get dreadful hayfever and this heat makes it worse, added to that there are the sleepless nights. I totally agree with you but we are probably outnumbered

minxie Tue 20-Jun-17 12:44:42

I'm currently living in a caravan as we build our houseboat and it's unbearable in here. We put the hosepipe on and ran through it yesterday in order to keep cool. Him indoors soaks his baseball cap and puts it on his bald head

amt101 Tue 20-Jun-17 12:48:15

Hate it too.
My preferred temperatures are around 18 - 22. Quite specific and I can go lower but not much higher.

lizzypopbottle Tue 20-Jun-17 13:02:16

I don't enjoy the very hot weather but I'm certain Ill forget my present discomfort when it's grey and cold in the winter. ? Where would we be, we British, if we couldn't moan about the weather?

I did an hour's gardening yesterday, admittedly during the worst part of the day but 'they' had promised rain later (*lies, all lies!*) and my face was puce for hours afterwards.

lizzypopbottle Tue 20-Jun-17 13:02:51

I'll not Ill...

Lockers54 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:08:32

I was sitting in my strappy cotton nightie with a wringing wet tea towel round my neck. Trying to drink lots of water as the amount of sweat was horrible!
Loving today's temp much cooler so managed to accomplish quite a bit.

Nvella Tue 20-Jun-17 13:29:15

I hate it unless I can get into water every 10 minutes

Kim19 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:42:22

BlueBelle, I'm so with you. Bring this heat on. I love it. Whitewave, your input is also excellent. I 'complain' about the weather for about ten months of the year so would consider it nothing short of audacious to find fault after a very few days of delicious heat. Just wonderful! I've lived in two separate hot spots in the course of my life and never once tired of the regular and reliable heat. The clothes freedom - though lots of extra washing - and the pre-planning ability was bliss. Had my husband lived, I really do believe we may have settled in a warmer climate but, here I am, where my heart is. So I guess I I've settled for a warm heart in an often cold body. Right now I'm hot but oh so happy.

Tessa101 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:51:45

Love this weather....., but sorry for those that don't.?????

HeyHo Tue 20-Jun-17 13:52:41

I absolutely and totally detest this weather - and I am so pleased to see so many responses on here. It is awful weather and should not be allowed :-)

However, the nights start to draw in again from tomorrow

and

I console myself by thinking that I actually get more of the weather I like in this country, than the sun worshippers do - I am not wrinkled because I have never gone out in it either !!

I want to go and live on Shetland but I am in Devon!

Victoria08 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:53:12

I love the hot weather. We don't get enough of it, and when we do, everyone moans "I'm too hot, it's unbearable".

When the temperature gets too much, out comes the fans.

Also, think of your lower energy costs.
Be positive about the warmth, it's lovely.

I dare say, maisiegreen, you will probably be the first to complain about the cold when winter arrives. Frostbite anyone?

Mapleleaf Tue 20-Jun-17 13:59:09

I love warm weather up to about 25degrees. More than that and I start to wilt and I get those horrible heat blisters on my hands that then dry up and flake for days after - yuk! I think part of our problem is that it tends to be so humid with the heat, rather than a dry heat. We're never satisfied are we? I pity the poor souls who have to work in it. It's a bit fresher here today but due to be hot again tomorrow.

Musicelf Tue 20-Jun-17 14:00:53

Oh, Rosina - I am so with you!! grin

pollyperkins Tue 20-Jun-17 14:11:23

Agree with Mawbroon - our climate is changeable which gives us lots of variety and something to talk about. The trouble is we are not used to coping with extremes which are much rarer. So we don't generally have air conditioners and fly screens in our houses as they do in hotter climes, but we cant cope with deep snow either !
Incidentally I read in today's paper that these high temps are a result of global warming and are becoming more frequent and are much higher in many countries.