Gransnet forums

AIBU

(62 Posts)
adaunas Sun 09-Jul-17 08:59:28

Never mention ages since I worked for a boss who referred to anyone over 40 as his 'aging staff'. It's no secret though as my DH will happily announce his age to whoever asks and always adds that we're the same age.

Kim19 Sun 09-Jul-17 08:54:14

Nope never lie about my age. No point. Mirror tells me it would be futile! However.......I am always pleased when people assume I'm younger than I am when this topic is aired - never by me, I might add - but I am totally convinced this to to do with attitude/behaviour and not at all appearance or calendar. Also....of course... some of us more fortunate than others health wise and this has a huge impact methinks.

Mspjam123 Sun 09-Jul-17 08:49:32

Add 10 years on. I tried it once and the people in question all thought I looked great for "My Age"! I did own up quickly though! Really, anyone with a problem about your age, it's THEIR problem! Rub their noses in the "horrible" truth!

MawBroon Sun 09-Jul-17 08:45:58

It's only numbers! How do you know the "nice young men" you are meeting aren't shaving a few years off theirs too!! grin
#allherownteeth

Christinefrance Sun 09-Jul-17 08:40:01

No I don't lie about it either but I always feel a bit shocked when the numbers come out of my mouth. Doesn't seem that could be me somehow smile

Smithy Sun 09-Jul-17 08:37:06

I thought like that until I hit 70 last year. Would like to stay 69 for a little longer but to be honest age never really crops up in casual conversation.

tanith Sun 09-Jul-17 08:05:05

What's the point it will come at some point in time anyway. I am what I am.

Greyduster Sun 09-Jul-17 08:02:24

Likewise. Can't see the point of lying about your age. It will come back to bite you on the bum!

kittylester Sun 09-Jul-17 07:55:28

What BlueBelle said.

BlueBelle Sun 09-Jul-17 06:51:48

I never have changed my age, and never will, I am what I am. Blokes, women, friends foes I ve never been ashamed of being the age I am

Starlady Sun 09-Jul-17 04:01:04

Are you talking about blokes you're interested in dating or who might be interested in dating you? If so, maybe you need to change the age range of the men you're looking at. If they seem to think you're "too old" (I say that because you asked about "knocking a few years off?"), then go places where there is a slightly older crowd than you usually seek out.

If you're just talking about making new friends, I don't see why age would be an issue. But if it is, again, I give the same advice.

Frankly, I don't see any reason to mention your age, unless you're asked. But I take it they're asking.

Emsgran Sun 09-Jul-17 00:27:57

is everyone always upfront about their age or do you knock a few years off?

I've met a few blokes on holidays who have backed off when I've been honest about my age. What's the best way to go?