Gransnet forums

AIBU

Harper Beckham

(68 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 11-Jul-17 06:30:58

AIBU to feel a tad nauseous at all this fuss? Why doesn't Princess Eugenie host a party for children with life limiting illnesses? Or who may have been directly or indirectly affected by the Grenfell Tower fire? Or disadvantaged kids?
I don't criticise any parents for making a fuss of their little girl's birthday but this over publicised "Royal/Celebrity" combination strikes me as unutterably NAFF.

annodomini Tue 11-Jul-17 13:46:21

It's the first I've heard about this party. Am I reading the wrong papers/magazines?

paddyann Tue 11-Jul-17 13:56:10

I have a grandaughter the same age as young miss Beckham ,she was happy with a tea party for her friends and a home made cake ....where are we going wrong? Should we have got celebrities and hired a castle ? Its all patently ridiculous ,however rich you are its a childs birthday what are they going to have to do to top that next year or when she's in her teens .Of curse this will fuel the expensive parties we see others have because if Beckham can make such a fuss about his " princess" so should we.Grandaughter wasinvited to a my little pony party last year...dressing up and grooming REAL ponies and having rides around the garden .Apparently cost hundreds of pounds ,wonder what THAT mum will come up with now

Imperfect27 Tue 11-Jul-17 14:21:24

I had four children whose childhood spanned the era when parties changed from a few parlour games, some cake and a balloon to take home (if you were really lucky) to themed experiences and one-up-manship party bags (pet hate). We compromised and still gave a slice of cake and a modest 'something' in later days and we kept numbers sensible. We did graduate to swimming and bowling - and even a home-styled 'olympics' 8-yar old garden party in the summer of 1996, when memorably the invited children initially looked quite bemused / offended at the idea of joining in home-spun races, obstacle course etc. They did manage to enjoy themselves once they had got over the shock of being expected to take part!!!
Point being - commercially the expectations and expenses bar has been rising and rising and rising for decades. Harper's extravaganza is the nub end of all of that I guess and will have tipped it all a little bit further over the top.
(Moany old git-rant finished now smile )

BlueBelle Tue 11-Jul-17 16:49:22

I wonder how much of a close loving family they were when he was perusing his xtra marital affairs maggiemaybe ?
I hate to see small children over indulged and even more when media ( usually with the parents permission ) big it up I think the 'celebrities' who keep their children out of the lime light are the ones to be admired
Throughout her childhood Dawn French and Lenny Henry never talked about their adopted daughter and many other famous folk don't push their kids to the fore must be much more beneficial for the children

Morgana Tue 11-Jul-17 17:17:46

Eugenie should have been out earning a living. ......

Rigby46 Tue 11-Jul-17 17:19:57

Hahahaha - earning a living? I doubt she could even spell that phrase.

lemondrizzle Tue 11-Jul-17 19:17:43

I don't agree that the Beckhams had to "work" to achieve what they got. Not in the literal sense of work anyway. Unless you call putting your name to a brand to earn millions "work". They both like to keep busy and why wouldn't they, most of us do, the only difference is they get fortunes for much less effort than most of us do.

Iam64 Tue 11-Jul-17 19:22:40

Yes, he's had affairs. How tough for VB to have this happen in full public gaze. Yes, maybe they stayed together in part because their work s centred around brand Beckham. It's also entirely possible, that like many couples where men stray, they have tried and maybe are still trying, to keep the family together for the sake of their children.
I wouldn't exchange my life with VB for all the money in the world. I neither envy, nor look down on her. I wish the family all the best. Who amongst us leads a perfect life?

rafichagran Tue 11-Jul-17 19:34:42

Does not bother me at all. They have always dime things in a big grandiose way.

BlueBelle Tue 11-Jul-17 19:35:45

I have no interest envy or desire for the beckhams life style which I m sure is no Worse than many others .....I was just putting an example forward that they are not a cosy wonderful little fairy tale family

Rigby46 Tue 11-Jul-17 19:41:53

I just despair at the whole celeb culture and the RF's intermeshing with it. It's cheap, tacky, worthless

Maggiemaybe Tue 11-Jul-17 19:43:10

I wonder how much of a close loving family they were when he was perusing his xtra marital affairs maggiemaybe ?

I don't know for sure, BlueBelle, I'm afraid I'm not privy to their private lives and feelings. They renewed their marriage vows a year after the allegation (I only know of one that wasn't later withdrawn), and have since had another child, so I assume they were pretty solid, yes.

Rigby46 Tue 11-Jul-17 19:44:53

We know nothing meaningful about the life of such people and are deluded if we think we do

Iam64 Tue 11-Jul-17 19:51:46

We know nothing meaningful about any people, unless we're very close and confide in each other. Even then, there are secrets and lies in the lives of so,many 'ordinary' families.

Maggiemaybe Tue 11-Jul-17 19:54:18

Indeed. Which is why I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt, rather than assuming the worst.

Maggiemaybe Tue 11-Jul-17 19:55:56

I meant the Beckhams there. But it's probably a good rule to apply to the ordinary folk as well!

Rigby46 Tue 11-Jul-17 19:57:50

It's the way people post on social media in general about celebs/RF as though they do know something about them - we know only what they want us to and the relationship between that and reality is completely unknown. I assume nothing about any of them except that none of them probably pay enough tax and wouldn't dream of either assuming the worst or giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Deedaa Wed 12-Jul-17 23:04:56

A friend of mine has worked with the Beckhams and got to know them and Victoria's mother very well. He thinks they are a very nice family and Victoria, particularly, is devoted to the children. He is totally uninterested in football or any sort of celebrity and was barely aware of them before they met so he really hasn't been blinded by their fame.

Day6 Thu 13-Jul-17 00:20:23

I loathe the Beckhams and all they stand for.

They are using social media to promote themselves, posting controversial family photos to cause a reaction. The more they are in the limelight, the more the cash registers keep ringing. They rely on publicity, and will use their children and name to create lucrative work opportunities.

I cannot believe that Eugenie hosting a palace party for Harper Beckham at Buckingham Palace was approved by any of the royal family. It's tacky in the extreme, and of course Beckham had to send out his own, private photos of the event to let the world know about it.

All those who say the Beckhams and the royal family are 'friends' must be deluded.

David Beckham has met royalty and has worked alongside royalty, occasionally. That is the limit of their acquaintance. Can you really imagine any of royal family willingly spending time entertaining the Beckhams? They have nothing in common. Beckham used a connection to wangle a Palace party. I imagine he paid for it too. Then he had to let the world know about it.

It's a royal faux-pas and I imagine the awful Andrew and his daughter will be chastised. I expect they took money for allowing access. It doesn't do much for the royal family if the palace is now a party venue and poor children don't get a look-in, does it?

It all stinks of money, privilege, sycophancy and self-publicity. What 'look at me' scheme will the awful Beckhams come up with next?

henetha Thu 13-Jul-17 10:53:44

Oh, come on..... live and let live, eh?

Greenfinch Thu 13-Jul-17 11:11:19

The Royals are as much to blame as the Beckhams

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Jul-17 11:52:29

Gosh, it must take so much energy to loathe people you don't even know!!

This party wasn't even on my radar, I must lead a sheltered life grin

grumppa Thu 13-Jul-17 12:42:00

"I don't agree that the Beckhams had to "work" to achieve what they got." That's not entirely fair, lemondrizzle. David worked hard for years to become and to continue to be a successful professional footballer, and there must have been some work involved in being a Spice Girl.

The rewards may seem disproportionate to many of us, but that's hardly their fault. At least there was no inherited wealth to complain about.

merlotgran Thu 13-Jul-17 12:46:10

The way I understand it, the party wasn't for Harper's birthday. She just happened to be on the guest list but the Beckhams posted pics on Instagram to make it look as though it was her 6th birthday bash.

Stella McCartney, whose daughter was also invited is apparently spitting feathers because she fiercely guards her daughter's privacy and would not have given permission for the pictures to be put on social media.

The whole McCartney clan is well-known for keeping their private lives private so I wonder if the publicity seeking Beckhams are now off the Christmas card list? grin

merlotgran Thu 13-Jul-17 12:49:17

PS. I don't think Stella has anything to worry about. I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't a clue who these kids are. hmm