Gransnet forums

AIBU

unbelievable!

(31 Posts)
Morgana Wed 12-Jul-17 22:10:53

Just back from holiday to find a letter from taxman. They owe me a refund. HOORAY! However on closer reading I see that I can get money in 5 days if I register on line. ( and I can foresee a gruelling hour doing battle with a government site) or I can wait SIXTY days and they will send it to me!!!!!! Am thinking I shall write and ask for interest on the money...But what do people without access to the net do?

Rigby46 Thu 13-Jul-17 21:51:17

My link does that <sighs>

harrigran Thu 13-Jul-17 21:53:39

I really could not imagine HMRC going to all that bother for a refund of £30 but for a scammer getting your bank details is well worth the sum. Do remember that these fraudsters play the long game and it may be a while before your bank account is targeted.

callgirl1 Thu 13-Jul-17 22:42:10

I posted about this last night, but it`s disappeared. I`ve had one of those letters, I'm going to wait for the cheque in the post, I`ll only get myself in a mess on their website!

buster55 Sat 15-Jul-17 17:36:30

HMRC DO NOT send emails to anyone.
If you want a refund contact the tax office.
Don't take any notice of emails informing you that you have a tax refund due. It's a scam!

Rigby46 Sat 15-Jul-17 18:13:24

They do send emails if you are registered with them for that - it's just that the emails tell you to log onto your account for the message