Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gay Pride ad a new 'equality gap'?

(341 Posts)
Imperfect27 Fri 04-Aug-17 19:35:57

Let me explain.
I am NOT homophobic.
I think it is appalling that historically people who are LBGT have been marginalised, discriminated against, made to be fearful - even treated as mentally ill and 'curable.' All of this more than saddens me.
I have gay friends. that I regard as part of my extended family and if a child of mine were to tell me that 'Actually mum, I am gay' it would not make one iota of difference to my love and support of them. If anything, it might bring out the lioness in me as still, I think they face disadvantages in society. Until we reach a point of being gay being a big 'So what!' we will not have reached true equality.
BUT ... I have struggled with the adverts for Gay Britannia on BBC - which seem to swamp the airwaves. I struggle with the news that 10 national trust staff have been 'moved to non customer-facing services' for refusing to wear gay pride landyards - www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-40825660 - and I struggle with the societal subtext that if we do not openly accept and rejoice with proclaiming 'gay pride' we must somehow be anti ...

I struggle because I have been hurt. I was married to a man who left me for a man. I learned along the years of our marriage that gay wasn't 'curable', wasn't a 'choice', wasn't an 'aberration' - it was / is just a .n. other way of being.

BUT, I know I would not find it easy to wear any gay pride regalia and I struggle with the strident voices that seem to need to be 'in your face' about their sexuality. I don't introduce myself along the lines of 'Hello , I am .... and I am heterosexual.'

Maybe you will think I am contradicting myself because I do see that being accepted as LGBT in our world is still a struggle for some, and maybe that means that some people do still need to be strident about it, but I find myself in something of a corner. At present I feel marginalised, I feel my opinion doesn't matter, I feel that even though I have been prepared to revisit and revise every value I was brought up with, recognise my own unfounded / ignorant prejudices and move to a point of not just tolerance, but true acceptance of how we can be 'different' , still am somehow 'out of step.'

I am not sure what I want - except I don't want to be bombarded with gay 'rights' to the detriment of any other 'right'. At present I feel 'unequal'. Does that make sense?

illtellhim Sat 05-Aug-17 07:47:03

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

Sadly Imperfect27 you posts reminded me of the above quote.

I wonder what we shal be expected to except next.

Smithy Sat 05-Aug-17 08:07:01

Your last paragraph says it all imperfect. I know exactly where you're coming from but couldn't have put it as well as you have. The very act of making people west the lanyards is patronising in my mind and is emphasising the difference.

Imperfect27 Sat 05-Aug-17 08:28:21

illtellhim , your post is indicative of the assumption of many, that to be 'quiet' is the same as 'doing nothing.' This is part of the problem.

Far from 'doing nothing' I have actively worked with and challenged others fears and prejudices about homosexuality for a long, long time. I was married to a gay man for 17 years and he served in Anglican ministry. From within a sometimes woefully homophobic climate, we 'quietly' met and opposed others misconceptions and addressed fears and anxieties based on scant biblical evidence and inherited prejudices.

Because of my relatively unusual circumstances, I have dwelt with what it may mean to be' gay ' for decades. I have seen and experienced the pain, anger and turmoil caused by hidden orientation first hand and I am very glad we now live in a society that is more open and accepting. Hopefully, in this generation and beyond, there will be less and less couples who find themselves in a position of 'living a lie' to be socially acceptable.

I still maintain that the 'backlash' of being 'liberated' that gives voice to being 'loud and proud' and places huge emphasis on sexuality as the leading factor in determining identity is off kilter.

To try to illustrate ... I told DH that I am going to have an 'openly heterosexual' day today ... which might mean overt public displays of affection and will include me making sure that I tell all the people we meet today that I am straight. He looked at me as if I am off my trolley...

Anniebach Sat 05-Aug-17 08:38:38

Some people think the act of buggery revolting,

sunseeker Sat 05-Aug-17 09:04:44

Anniebach - as long as it is between two consenting adults what business is it of anyone else

whitewave Sat 05-Aug-17 09:19:17

Not sure why being loud and proud should be stopped, or wanting to be defined by your sexual preference. If that is what some members of the gay community want, why not? Their life not anyone else's.

I prefer to be defined by other things, which have changed over the years. But it is my life and providing I am not hurting others in any way I think it is entirely my business.

Do not make the mistake that prejudice has ceased, it hasn't by a long way.

illtellhim Sat 05-Aug-17 09:27:19

I have to agree with sunseeker.

Imperfect27, your last post is what I expect from someone trying to justifie a vey public admission that you are not very happy in your situation, have a go "dear", I'm sure it will get better.

Lisalou Sat 05-Aug-17 09:27:19

As whitewave points out, the reason that it is necessary to march and shout from the treetops is that prejudice is still very much an issue for the lbgt comunity. People are beaten, killed, maimed and ostracised for being gay, transexual or bisexual every day. All the time. Today. Now.
I get the distinct impression that many posters feel that it is not necessary as this is the thing of the past. Someone said "the past is another country". Oh how I wish it were true, but in this instance, it is not in the past.
I understand that the idea of discussing one's sexuality may well be distasteful to many, coming from a different generation where it was just not a subject of conversation, but this is not really about gay people being in your face about their orientation, but about awareness and ensuring that the future generations have the opportunity to understand that sexual orientation is neither right nor wrong, it is how you come into this world, not something learned or perverted, regardless of what your orientation is.

Oriel Sat 05-Aug-17 09:28:06

imperfect I think your posts are incredibly informative, insightful and well written.

Most people we come into contact with have no problem with LGBT people except for those who profess a religious faith. My father in law is a lifelong Christian and his negativity towards the LGBT is astonishing. Every time we see him he has something to say about it - yesterday he informed me that a 'gay man had had a baby'. I said that was impossible so he decided to pull out his phone and play the video loudly in the middle of the restaurant! Obviously it wasn't a gay man who'd had the baby, it was a transgender person.

The thing I don't understand is that the couple involved had a lovely baby and looked like a reslly caring couple, yet all he could see was that they were, as he thought, gay!

Anniebach Sat 05-Aug-17 09:52:14

We cannot force people to accept homosexuality , marches will not change opinions, neither will lecturing people .

Imperfect27 Sat 05-Aug-17 09:56:52

illtellhim - unwarranted and misjudged, but hey ho. I am not 'having a go' - just raising a discussion point. Your choice of phrase 'public admission' has an implied ring of shame about it. No shame here - the only 'shame' I have encountered is shame attributed by others, not felt by me. Sadness, yes - of course it was sad that a marriage foundered. Bitterness, I hope not, but am aware of being sensitive to overt public expressions of sexuality. So yes, I do think certain aspects of 'Gay Pride' are unnecessary, but can see that they spring from historic and individual experiences of oppression and hurt. I maintain that I don't think that people help their call for acceptance at times. More time and more healing is needed.

Lisalou Sat 05-Aug-17 09:57:00

Well Anniebach, it would appear that lecturing on a whole raft of things has had a very positive effect - take smoking, for instance. As for marches, had women never marched for equal rights, you and i would never have had the choice of an education, a career or a choice regarding whether we wanted to bear children or not.
As I said, I believe that bringing this issue into the light may not change the views of many right now, but hopefully, will help to educate future generations, make them aware.

rosesarered Sat 05-Aug-17 10:08:49

It's in the light already in the UK and no need to educate 'future generations' as todays younger generations already see nothing wrong at all with being gay.Many of us older generation have never seen anything legally wrong or sinful either in being gay, a person is as they are.
However, being forced to wear badges/lanyards etc in order to promote any idea by staff is in itself a bad thing.
Imperfect you have explained your view really well, other posts distorting or misunderstanding your posts are sadly what happens on social media.

Anniebach Sat 05-Aug-17 10:10:16

Smoking affects the self, equal rights for women affected all women ,

whitewave Sat 05-Aug-17 10:36:19

Those who think that the prejudice case is won do not live in the real world I'm afraid. Ask any minority if they think there is no prejudice.

Lisalou Sat 05-Aug-17 10:36:48

Sorry Anniebach, could you elaborate - i may be having a thick moment (I often do) what does your comment have to do with anything?

I do sort of see the issue with the lanyards, in that maybe some of the people working for the NT dont want to be identified with a a movement they are not involved in, but I reckon we so often have to do things at work which we dont like, it is just one more thing that may well annoy. FWIW I dont think anyone thinks the lanyard identifies how the wearer thinks. We all know they are working and I doubt I would pay much attention to the badge or lanyard. I have enough trouble reading the person's name on their badge, any other stuff they are wearing, i would probably ignore!

Oriel Sat 05-Aug-17 10:39:46

annie LBGT issues affect all LGBT people

Lisalou Sat 05-Aug-17 10:46:09

Ok, on reflection Anniebach, I presume you are saying that my examples reflect larger groups of the population and that the issue is that we are talking about a minority.
I really dont think that this is relevant. Prejudice and injustice should be fought, regardless of the size of the group involved

Luckygirl Sat 05-Aug-17 10:47:52

I think the National Trust should just get on with their job.

There is no need for any individual or organisation to trumpet abroad their beliefs; their values should be implicit in their behaviour.

Eglantine19 Sat 05-Aug-17 10:49:03

They affect other people too. My adoptive brother was subject to an attack because of his sexual preference. Because of this he had a disability for the rest of his life. The whole family was affected, emotionally as well as practically. The world no longer seemed a safe place.

Lisalou Sat 05-Aug-17 10:52:11

I am so sorry Eglantine...how devastating for you and your family.

Jalima1108 Sat 05-Aug-17 10:58:53

I agree with what Luckygirl has said.
The NT should have core values and all their staff will be aware of that, whether paid or voluntary.

Values and Behaviours:
^To give people physical and spiritual refreshment, we encourage them to come, visit, explore, respond,
collaborate, join, give, volunteer, take part. Not by preaching, but by suggesting, enabling and inspiring.^

I think they are losing sight of that and are preaching.

goldengirl Sat 05-Aug-17 11:05:54

I think the NT is wrong in its action. Full stop.
Perhaps I should wear a lanyard saying I have mobility problems, might need the loo urgently.......

FarNorth Sat 05-Aug-17 11:15:42

"I think the problem lay not so much in refusing to wear the badges but in their expressed reasons for refusing to support the campaign."

What were the expressed reasons?
In the BBC link given by the OP, I only saw comment about the film.

Anniebach Sat 05-Aug-17 11:21:18

Lisalou. I am saying your example of talking of cigarette smoking was not useful as the way to persuade people homosexuality must be sccepted. Cigarettes kill , people gave up for their own health and their families .

To have homosexuality accepted by all is not health related , for many it doesn't include love , just S.E.X. lecturing results in hands over ears