Gransnet forums

AIBU

Really irritating Facebook posts

(65 Posts)
Antonia Sat 05-Aug-17 17:58:49

I don't usually rant about Facebook posts, but I have one friend who continually posts comments such as 'Please copy and paste if you know / care about someone who has cancer.' I feel like commenting and asking how this can possibly be of any use to anyone. I am fine with posts dealing with sponsored runs, raising funds etc, but this type of thing is just plain stupid.

Theoddbird Sun 06-Aug-17 09:25:57

I just pass these by. It doesn't mean I don't care. Just ignore them.

sunseeker Sun 06-Aug-17 09:42:02

The ones that really annoy me are the ones that say "if you miss someone who is in heaven share this" Why - is it going to bring them back? (I wish). I find them upsetting because I can be having a good day and they just bring all the pain crashing back

Jaycee5 Sun 06-Aug-17 09:48:49

I use facebook quite a bit but I stopped having facebook friends as I really only want things on my newsfeed from sites that I am interested in and the oversharing was hard to stop. If you don't have any friends you are accused of being a fake account (even though I have lots of items of my home page that have been there quite a while). I follow a few political sites, plus people like John Oliver and Mark Steele, AJ+ and Atlas Obsura plus a couple of charities that I support. That brings up quite enough information without having friends that I don't know sending me random stuff. I don't really get the point - but then I am a bit self contained anyway which I prefer.

paddyann Sun 06-Aug-17 09:50:45

I dont share these posts or the sick kids ones that tell you to type amen ,or the you'll get bad luckif you dont ones.The ones that annoy me are the folk who put really personal stuff on about missing their mums or dads who died and really milk it for sympathy ,especially when I know them and they had no time for those same parents when they were alive.Isn't it amazing how dying can turn a neglectful family into these amazing loving kids that need to tell everyone how wonderful they are .

angie95 Sun 06-Aug-17 10:20:34

I get them too, and can't copy and paste, so just tell them, sorry, I can't do that, I know, that people like to do this, but I would much rather see a happy post! smile

Diddy1 Sun 06-Aug-17 10:35:58

Amen or other chain letters I ignore, or block them.
I have an aquaintance who every morning starts her FB page with "Good morning all you sunbeams" then a saying from somewhere, before she starts telling every detail of her coming day. I have blocked her as it is sickening to read, I know many read her "diary" every day, then laugh behind her back, thats sad.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 06-Aug-17 10:38:13

I just ignore them but I often wonder why they ask to copy and paste rather than just share? Can anyone enlighten me please?

HootyMcOwlface Sun 06-Aug-17 11:44:03

Same here paddyann especially when the post is written TO the deceased person. I just think "why??? do they get FB in heaven?!" Really really really annoys me! I've clicked the "see less from xxx" thingy to stop a lot of it.

Marieeliz Sun 06-Aug-17 12:32:53

My friend and I have the same cleaner, she recently text us re a sponsored event she was taking part in. We do not know the charity, it was someone who had helped her son. i don't know what I was supposed to do? Tell how much I would donate?

I think it is a bit much for a cleaner to text a client though. If she had come and said I have just done a sponsored walk in aid of I would have given a couple of pounds. She knows I don't look at my phone often so I have just ignored it. Don't know what friend has done, but she wasn't too happy either. There is a disabled neighbour she goes to as well so it puts people in a difficult situation. As we all have people we support and stick to those.

quizqueen Sun 06-Aug-17 13:17:59

Really, I have never seen the purpose of facebook unless it's to trace a long lost friend. Surely, if people want you to know about their lives they will email you privately and if they can't be bothered to do that then that tells you that you are not that close to them!

Caroline64 Sun 06-Aug-17 13:32:34

I just ignore these - I go through hiding any that I don't want to see but in particular the ads. I use FB for the messaging and humour. It is wonderful how one can chat informally when both online and a really good laugh is worth its weight...(eg Michael MacIntyre).

Mauriherb Sun 06-Aug-17 13:55:29

I agree that these posts are annoying and pointless but the ones that really get me are "can't take much more" or similar, then someone asks what's wrong and the reply comes " can't talk about it " . If you don't want to talk about it, then don't put posts on Facebook fishing for sympathy. ! AIBU ?

Anya Sun 06-Aug-17 13:57:19

FB can be a power for good too. There have been campaigns launched (e.g. Stop Funding Hatred) which have gathered so much support that some big advertisers are now withdrawing adverts (and this financial suppport) from newspapers who stir up racial, homophobic or other hatred.

Hit them in their pockets.

Mauriherb Sun 06-Aug-17 14:02:37

I agree Anya. I know friends who have been reunited with stolen goods/pets through Facebook.
The campaigns you mention really have an effect

suttonJ Sun 06-Aug-17 14:03:48

Hate Facebook. Have never joined

Daisynance123 Sun 06-Aug-17 14:05:01

I think Facebook is a worldwide scourge.
My GS is eleven this year and starting to pester for a mobile phone. My DD is hoping to hold out until he's 18... we'll see!!

Anya Sun 06-Aug-17 14:10:47

'A worldwide scourge' - sorry Daisy that's rubbish.

Anya Sun 06-Aug-17 14:13:40

Like everything else in this world it's up to you to get the best from FB.

Like fire and water (and food) it's a good servant but a bad master.

chrissyh Sun 06-Aug-17 14:34:24

I get personal messages on facebook or messenger from friends sending me a hug, flashing hearts or a 'virtual' bouquet asking me to post it on to other friends. I ignore them like I did the old chain letters (and I'm still alive to tell the tale). If you don't mind not seeing their people's posts just unfollow them and they won't be any the wiser. I did this to some people during the Brexit and General election and followed them again after it was all over.

Jalima1108 Sun 06-Aug-17 14:36:01

suttonJ I am puzzled how you can hate something which you have never joined therefore have no experience of. confused

What Anya just said!
(I agree)

blue60 Sun 06-Aug-17 15:55:52

I take a break from some friends' posts as they can get a bit tiresome, so I just 'unfollow' for while until I feel in the mood again.

pollyperkins Sun 06-Aug-17 16:05:06

Imperfect Im so sorry to hear about your daughter. My nephew once put a video on fb which I watched in all innocence which ended with someone being killed in a horrific way. I was a facebook novice and didnt know how to hide it but felt sick every time I went on fb and saw the link so I unfriended him. I now feel sorry I did that and would like to ask him to be my friend again but dont like to point out that I 'unfriended' him!Later my niece got annoying with endless pointless rants but I have just hidden her and from time to time I look at her page to see how she is. Better solution!
I hate emotional blackmail in any form so would never share the type of posts you are talking about. But fb is good for keeping in touch with friends & family.

Diddy1 Sun 06-Aug-17 17:53:59

I follow a few sites like "I Love the Lake District", among others, there are such beautiful photographs sent, and lovely positive comments too, often people want advice about accomodation, etc. I think it is a pleasant thing to look at, even if I dont take part, apart from "liking" something. I keeps me in touch with things in the UK when I live far away.

Anya Sun 06-Aug-17 18:10:06

Polly play the confused, older person card. Tell your nephew you think you've accidentally unfriended him as you can't find him on your friends list anymore.

starlily106 Sun 06-Aug-17 18:42:13

I don't use Facebook very often, and don't chat to friends on it, but a few days ago I was browsing and came across hundreds of photos of people who want to be friends. I was shocked when I started to look through them. They were all foreigners from eastern Europe, and very intimidating to look at, most of them were men, but the few women there were looked just as tough. I am so pleased that I have not put a photo or a lot of details about myself on the site, and I think I will probably delete it. I only have an account because I sometimes enter competitions. At my age (80) i am not really into half naked men with big muscles, covered in tattoos, and with very menacing expressions.