Gransnet forums

AIBU

Really irritating Facebook posts

(65 Posts)
Antonia Sat 05-Aug-17 17:58:49

I don't usually rant about Facebook posts, but I have one friend who continually posts comments such as 'Please copy and paste if you know / care about someone who has cancer.' I feel like commenting and asking how this can possibly be of any use to anyone. I am fine with posts dealing with sponsored runs, raising funds etc, but this type of thing is just plain stupid.

Jalima1108 Sun 06-Aug-17 18:43:46

I have just been deleting links to things that some of my lovely FB friends have put on - just click the tiny downward arrow and you can delete that and anything else that comes from that source but still stay friends with the person who posted that link.

Anya Sun 06-Aug-17 19:06:10

.....well I agree about the menacing expression!! ?

Lilyflower Sun 06-Aug-17 20:40:06

I agree about the 'cut and paste' pleas but I have to say I have spent many a wasted and pleasurable minute watching kitties being cute.

pensionpat Sun 06-Aug-17 21:19:11

I have been able to use FB effectively to promote my charity locally. I receive lots of interest and support. It has helped me enormously. So I can ignore the tedious and accept this is the way of the world. We must be the master of technology.

keffie Sun 06-Aug-17 21:58:35

This link explains all about these posts and why they are done. I don't Copy & Paste or forward these on. They make no difference anyway, as we know, and here is a link to some of the reasons why

oakwebdesign.com.au/blog/copy-paste-facebook-post-dont-share/

pollyperkins Mon 07-Aug-17 18:40:19

Are you sure they actually asked you to be a friend? Facebook does put up pictures of pople that they think you might know eg friends of friends or people in your emails addresses. I usually ignore them.

pollyperkins Mon 07-Aug-17 18:41:41

Sorry that was to Starlily!

Maggiemaybe Mon 07-Aug-17 19:07:57

Yes, that sounds more likely. I have one friend with a very exotic lifestyle and over 2000 FB "friends" that keep popping up on my newsfeed as people I may know. I'm sure my life would be a lot more exciting if I did know them, but the answer's no, I don't. grin

DameJudyClench Fri 11-Aug-17 16:48:43

The ones that I particularly hate, are the Facebook versions of what used to be called chain letters. They'll say things along the lines of 'If you don't pass this on to 2 million friends, something hideous will happen to you.'

I always unfriend people that send those.

catwoman Mon 14-Aug-17 21:39:51

I have a friend who tells me she forwards all the posts to her entire friends list. I had to unfollow to keep my sanity but have also kept my friendship......

Leticia Mon 14-Aug-17 22:14:36

I just scroll on down and ignore them.

Nelliemoser Tue 15-Aug-17 00:17:03

I have hate those dreadful say Amen things and ignore them.
I have stopped following campaigns to a large extent. There is a limit to what you can do. and it is not difficult to choose to stop seeing posts from whoever.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Aug-17 05:06:57

The Amen ones seem to have stopped thank goodness they flooded at one time but haven't seen one for the last few months now

Sparklefizz Tue 15-Aug-17 09:38:26

Keffie - very interesting article - thanks.