Gransnet forums

AIBU

Really irritating Facebook posts

(64 Posts)
Antonia Sat 05-Aug-17 17:58:49

I don't usually rant about Facebook posts, but I have one friend who continually posts comments such as 'Please copy and paste if you know / care about someone who has cancer.' I feel like commenting and asking how this can possibly be of any use to anyone. I am fine with posts dealing with sponsored runs, raising funds etc, but this type of thing is just plain stupid.

Smileless2012 Sat 05-Aug-17 18:01:35

I agree Antonia. I don't do FB but Mr. S. does and as he says if don't wish to pass on comments of that nature it might mean that you don't know someone with cancer but doesn't but doesn't mean if you do, that you don't care.

Antonia Sat 05-Aug-17 18:08:12

If I ignore the post then it certainly doesn't imply that I don't care. But it wouldn't make a jot of difference to anyone suffering from cancer whether I care or not. If I can do something useful then I'll do it, but the sheer futility of these posts annoys me. (I'll stop ranting now maybe).

tanith Sat 05-Aug-17 19:34:05

Change your settings to either see less or none of her posts. I've done that with people I know.

Nanabilly Sat 05-Aug-17 19:42:04

Those sort of posts are purposely for phishing , they collect email and contact details as they get shared through the web . Don't ever reply to them unless you want lots of spam . I bet your friend gets plenty.
A friend of mine does it too and I have told her but she still does it but her hubby is suffering cancer and really ill with it all I can kind of understand why she does it with all the cancer stories that come along with them.

Antonia Sat 05-Aug-17 19:56:31

Thanks for the advice tanith. My friend posts all sorts of inspirational crap stories. I couldn't possibly unfriend the person as they would notice and be very hurt. I take it they will not know about it if I limit their posts.

tanith Sat 05-Aug-17 20:04:05

You don't need to unfriend them just limit their posts they won't know.

Ambergirl Sat 05-Aug-17 20:15:37

I stopped using FB for that reason! You can as suggested simply hide that friends posts....I was tired of the same people posting the same things....ditched it and feel way better since!!

GracesGranMK2 Sat 05-Aug-17 20:23:10

If you think it is stupid but this person is still your friend then it is important to them but you don't care to know - ignore the post.

If you think it is stupid but this person not your friend then unfriend them.

It's not rocket science. Usually these posts come from another source so you can just click in the corner and 'hide' the post. At this point you will be asked if you want all posts from that source hidden.

There are quite a lot of people on Facebook but there are tools to make it suit the individual.

Jalima1108 Sat 05-Aug-17 20:33:02

Your friend will have 'passed it on' and , as Gracesgran says, it is from another source. You can block the source without blocking any other posts from your friend.

These things are like chain letters and make no difference to anyone who has or has had cancer.

Jalima1108 Sat 05-Aug-17 20:34:16

If I get one more FB post about Game of Thrones or Outlander I will have a hissy fit!

I do keep blocking but somehow they still get through!!

Imperfect27 Sat 05-Aug-17 21:17:32

I have a very dear friend who likes to forward the 'cancer' posts and others that are designed to push emotional buttons. I have explained that I don't post much on FB and won't pass these posts on. It isn't a problem and I think between us we accept that we use FB differently. I rarely post and just like it for looking in on my close family members.
I do find it difficult if people post 'shocking' footage of accidents - sometimes it is all too evident that someone has died and there is usually a critical message attached about using mobile phones when driving or the like. I lost a daughter in a car crash and it staggers me that even close friends can post these things without a thought of the effect that they might have on me. It seems pointless to point out how insensitive they are, but I wish people would spare a thought. I think posters are either ghoulishly voyeuristic or maybe think they are being virtuous about passing on a warning, but either way such things have the potential to be deeply upsetting.
Rant over ...

Deedaa Sat 05-Aug-17 21:21:32

The "uplifting" messages about cancer seem to be very popular with Americans (perhaps because it's the only help they can afford!) fortunately there are some very good cancer support groups on Facebook which can provide really helpful advice.

rosesarered Sat 05-Aug-17 21:40:54

Chain letters used to be really annoying ( and chucked in the bin) I would do the same on FB if I were you, a sheer waste of time and do no good anyway.

Maggiemaybe Sat 05-Aug-17 22:41:23

Yes, for the sake of your sanity unfollow this friend. I have several who are lovely people, but post on an hourly basis - clickbait articles about poorly children and unwanted cats (mostly cats), lists of "the best beaches/films" you really need to visit/watch, inspirational messages, often involving aloe vera. A local group full to busting with lost pets and subsequently found pets, to the point where you just want to shout at them to shut the ruddy gate! I can barely see the posts I want to see for all this twaddle. Today I have noticed several "live videos" of FB friends just walking along a pavement or gurning to camera, so this must be the next delight to come. I have unfollowed so many people recently I may soon find I'm just talking to myself. grin

I do like Facebook really.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Aug-17 06:22:33

I ve noticed the awful Amen ones ( again from US) seem to have fizzled out or maybe I ve managed to sideline them
A lot get on my nerves too but I do as others, scroll past quickly or click the hide button They only bother you if you let them

Anya Sun 06-Aug-17 07:22:37

You don't have to unfriend, just unfollow. That means you still appear on her friends list but don't see her posts.

I have no problem with friends asking nicely to share a post but it really annoys me when they say 'I know who will and who won't' - that makes it more likely I won't share.

silverlining48 Sun 06-Aug-17 08:35:23

I didnt know there is a hide button...i will go now and search for it. Thanks.

vampirequeen Sun 06-Aug-17 08:38:49

I hate the 'if you are my friend you will share and return this'

harrigran Sun 06-Aug-17 08:43:31

I ignore all the clickbait postings on FB, they are there solely to gather information to target or scam you.

Rosina Sun 06-Aug-17 08:45:40

Nanabilly is absolutely right - I was warned about these 'pass them on if you really care' items on either Facebook (which I don't use) or email, as they are often generated by people who can then garner information from addresses. Horrible isn't it? They play on sensitivities just to exploit others. Beware - I didn't know any of this until warned off by a really techsavvy relative. Also never reply to those emails that look like a genuine site (HM Revenue and Customs is a favourite, telling you that you have a refund due) Even if you just send a 'Do you think I'm mad enough to give you my details?' type of response, they can still engineer some kind of information from this.

strawberrinan Sun 06-Aug-17 08:48:09

Two of my family members seem to be in some kind of competition as to who can forward the most upsetting stories first. These include articles about abused children and animals and they're ALWAYS first off the blocks to announce celebrity deaths. I had to unfollow them both for my own sanity because despite asking them politely not to share upsetting content they're just a bit thick.

TillyWhiz Sun 06-Aug-17 08:49:14

You can also make annoying friends Acquaintances so that they can't see everything that YOU post.

Marianne1953 Sun 06-Aug-17 08:55:19

Ignore them, everyone else does. Unfollow her- she won't know that you have done that and if, periodically, you want to see what she's up to, just have a look, then you can select the posts you like.

Soniah Sun 06-Aug-17 09:20:03

I just paste these in periodically and, if someone continually posts these things say if they don't stop I'll unfriend them and why
If in doubt about a news item, share item etc check on hoaxslyer or snipes before you post
www.thatsnonsense.com/facebook-posts-that-ask-you-to-type-amen-are-exploiting-you/

www.snopes.com/luxury-rv-giveaway-scam/