Gransnet forums

AIBU

To walk out of hairdressers?

(54 Posts)
Kateykrunch Fri 11-Aug-17 14:02:55

I eventually found a haridressers and went 8 weeks ago and i was really pleased that the hairdresser understood what I wanted and cut and coloured it just right and with a view to eventsully going lighter and lighter each time so that my grey growth wasn't so obvious on my dark hair, she did some foils and highlights and the colour and she cut and finished it the best I have ever had and it has been just what I wanted. I made another appointment with her for today, but when I got there I was told she was on holiday. The trainee was going to do my hair, there was no qualified staff there, but, she had no idea what had been done before, I found it difficult to explain the technique that had been done before, the trainee said the only way to go lighter was to bleach!, but I had gone lighter with the process 8 weeks ago and just wanted the same again, but she said it was impossible to do without stripping my hair of colour first. So I politely said that I would prefer to just leave it, she asked if I wanted to book for next week with the hairdresser I thought I had booked today, I said I would just leave it, blinking heck.

Teddy123 Sat 12-Aug-17 10:00:36

The majority of salons have a record card for each client listing colours used eg Wella koleston 77 blah blah. Even so I wouldn't let a trainee near my hair unless a senior stylist was present. So you did the right thing in leaving.

I think I have a similar colour to you. A dark blonde base with a few highlights. They only do the roots each month to hide the grey. The rest of the hair is left alone until I fancy a few more bleach highlights, probably 3 times a year.

It's the best way of making grey roots less visible. I also went into Boots and bought a root enhancer pencil thing .... Bit like eye shadow so you can temporarily touch up front roots in between salon visits. Haven't used it!!! Get my roots done every 3-4 weeks.

Hopefully it was just a blip with this salon. Not very professional but hey ho ..... Give them another chance ....

Disgruntled Sat 12-Aug-17 10:43:06

Well done, Katey - I think that was a sensible decision, and one I would have found very difficult to make.

Luckygirl Sat 12-Aug-17 10:47:57

This is why I have long hair and just trim my own fringe. I never found a hairdresser who did anything that meant I would walk out feeling happy. You were right to leave.

I am lucky that mine is still dark brown, but plan to go grey gracefully when the time comes, with perhaps a hint of pink!

Mamar2 Sat 12-Aug-17 11:07:04

Hairdressers....what a nightmare. I walked out with wet hair last time because the hairdresser was taking ages to come back to finish my hair. I'd said I would have to leave if it wasn't done as I had a hospital appointment. Apologies from the hairdresser but after 15mins wasn't back. I dried it off with a towel & left. Makes you wonder with all these horror stories if there's still any good hairdressers left.

Sourcerer48 Sat 12-Aug-17 11:10:53

I have hair that is really difficult to cut well and after several disasters, decided to visit a certain famous haidresser group in our nearest town.
They charge +£50 for a cut and blow wave but I thought it'd be worth it to have something I could live with.
The cut was horrific, but as I was going away on holiday there was little I could do.
On my return I called the salon and said I'd been unhappy about the cut and what should I do. They were great and said to come in and have it redone at no charge.
The same hairdresser cut my hair short (which is what I had wanted in the first place) but sulked all the way through!
Have to say though I have loved this new style and will go back to him (once I've saved up anough money!)

Sheilasue Sat 12-Aug-17 11:14:03

I have been going to my hairdressers for over 30 years, had lots of different styles in all that time.
She always works out my appointments in advance, I go every 5 weeks. If she has a holiday she lets me know.
stick with the hairdresser you had and just check when she goes on holiday.

Lyndie Sat 12-Aug-17 11:30:03

I have my roots done every 5 weeks. Obviously my roots appear greyish in five weeks. Although not much but I am very conscience of them. I have recently found a spray to colour my roots up until they are re done. I just spray the top of my head And the sides, in my case dark brown although there are other colours and it hides them but washes out when I wash my hair. Super drug, sainsburys etc. Stock it. It's amazing. Also I have been going to hairdressers for years and find now everyone is fitted in. I usually have to wait. Then they rush to colour so they can fit someone in whilst colour is taking and then rushed the cut and blow dry for the next person. Hardly any magazines. In fact I took some in for them. They are just too busy for good customer service. All so rushed. I have tried a few in the area.

DanniRae Sat 12-Aug-17 12:00:52

I too use a root spray to cover the grey in between colouring and find it excellent! Means I can leave it a few more weeks......always a good thing.

blueskies Sat 12-Aug-17 12:08:15

Why do hairdressers style hair how they think is best. Three times I have shown my stylist a print of Jane Fonda ( she is 79 ) with a layered hair cut but I end up with the same old same old bob. My colour is good and I am happy with it but I am thinking I must be more assertive. The problem is that we are so vulnerable in the hands of a hairdresser we don't want them to think we are " difficult".

sluttygran Sat 12-Aug-17 12:30:26

I have a nice hairdresser who cuts my hair beautifully, but I have had a dreadful incident with a home colourant. I hadn't put any colour on for almost a year, and I have 'badger stripes' so thought I would brighten it up.
I chose a colour called 'light nude brown' - a sort of dark blonde, so I applied it as per instructions and have ended up with sooty black hair. I look like an old witch!
I don't know why it's happened, but I shan't be using that brand of colour EVER AGAIN! ☹️

JanaNana Sat 12-Aug-17 12:37:40

I had a hairdressing experience about ten years ago. I had been going regularly to a particular hairdresser every six weeks, same stylist for quite a long time, always booking my next appointment at the salon for the following six weeks and given a card with date and time. This particular week I had the last appointment of the day. When I arrived staff were sweeping up and cleaning salon ready to close. My usual stylist not there even though I always booked with the same person. Was told she had left owing to illness....when I asked who would be doing my hair they looked at me blank....looked in their book nothing there. Showed them my appointment card .....instead of making any apology ....one extremely sulky person said I suppose I"de better do it then! I felt quite indignant at this point and refused ......was then asked if I"de like to rebook the appointment! No..... ..and never went back. They had what appeared to be a new appointment diary and obviously not transferred all the existing appointments into the new one. To me it would have been courtesy for them to have apologised for the fact my appointment was overlooked. I would never go back to a salon who had forgot my appointment or the stylist had gone away on holiday. Totally unprofessional.

AmMaz Sat 12-Aug-17 13:29:40

Why on earth would you fear you were being unreasonable? The salon wouldn't take that view at all.

Kateykrunch Sat 12-Aug-17 13:30:29

Interesting comments from everyone, thank you. Poor Oriel though, that sounds like an awful situation to be in, I hope your hair recovers quickly. I dont think I will go back as I would feel uncomfortable. I may go grey and cut it myself!! Lol.

stevej4491 Sat 12-Aug-17 13:37:58

I have only had three hairdressers do my hair since 1981 and all three knew just how my hair falls.The lady I have now I 've been with since 1990 and moved to various salons with her too. She's wonderful.

seacliff Sat 12-Aug-17 13:40:25

I too agree you did the right thing. I am struggling with what to do with my hair, it never looks nice. I'll start a new thread and see anyone has any good ideas.

Norah Sat 12-Aug-17 13:53:58

No, you were not unreasonable.

Aslemma Sat 12-Aug-17 13:57:35

After many years of having perms I decided to see how it was without and told the hairdresser I only wanted it cut and blow dried. The owner was extremely rude, asked how I hoped to manage it and assured me I wouldn't like it. I persisted however and found I loved it. I also found a different hairdressers and wrote a letter to the first one to say I loved it, and though it would obviously be more expensive to have my hair cut more often than the three perms I had had with her, the money would not be spent at her salon due to her rudeness.

CardiffJaguar Sat 12-Aug-17 14:02:14

When you find a good one hang on regardless of any appointment problems. They are not easy to find. Ours died recently after a long illness but the salon carried on as before, following the notes in their file for my wife. Whoever takes over has all the necessary info plus my wife's input for the day.

Stella14 Sat 12-Aug-17 14:34:23

It was entirely reasonable. The same thing happened to me 30-years-ago. Unfortunately, I went ahead (no pun intended). The girl ruined my lovely long hair and scorched my scalp. I went back to see the owner the following day, showed her and said that in my opinion, unqualified staff should not be able to work with chemicals unsupervised. She agreed, cut my hair short (there was nothing else to be done with it) and terrified that I would sue her, offered to do my hair free thereafter. I probably should have sued her as my scalp was in a terrible mess and very painful, but I didn't. I was at University at the time though and money was tight, so I did keep going to her to get my hair done free. I did this for at least a year, eventually stopping due to the atmosphere.

Irenelily Sat 12-Aug-17 15:16:30

Fortunately my hairdresser always tells me in advance if she is going to be away. If I want my hair done for a special occasion I will try and time it when she is there. If she has a holiday due she will recommend another qualified stylist and if I need to, I juggle dates. Have to say I've been going there for a few years!

Aepgirl Sat 12-Aug-17 16:29:38

My usual hairdresser is on holiday but she recommended another stylist, so I booked with her. When I went for the appointment a junior stylist said 'you've been switched to xxxxx because xxxxx has sprained her wrist'. I said it would have been polite to let me know (they have 3 contact numbers for me). 'Xxxxx is here. Would you like to speak to her? I said 'no, I don't want to speak to her, I just want my hair cut'. I then left the salon, and have now made an appointment with a stylist at a different salon - I am quite nervous about this, but what else is there to do?

Diddy1 Sat 12-Aug-17 16:52:58

I have had ny present hairdresser since I moved here three years ago, I like haer and she understands my hair, but now she is on Maternity leave and her business parnter has cut my hair now for some four months ( Maternity leave here in Sweden is 12 months) but has recently been talking so much, she hasnt cut it very well, it looks as though she has just taken scissors and chopped it here and there. I have short hair and have it cut once a month, my next appointment I have managed to find a day when my ordinary hairdresser comes in to help out, even though she is officially still off work. I hope my hairdresser comes back to work soon as here they can share maternity leave, her Husband may want time with the child !

Tessa101 Sat 12-Aug-17 19:55:32

You definitely did the right thing by not going through with it. I was in your exact situation 2 years ago I ended with nothing like what I had a consultation for as original hairdresser was off ill . I was in there for 5 hours £210 later I was fuming. After getting home and calming down I wrote to there head office customer services manager they gave me a refund hence I will never take a trainee again.

Ellie Anne Sat 12-Aug-17 20:29:43

My hairdresser would never give me an appointment if she was not there. And if she has to cancel or change an appointment she phones or texts.
You were right to walk out but if you really liked the first hairdresser you should give her another try and explain what happened

Ness57 Sat 12-Aug-17 20:37:41

Hi Kateykrunch, I work in a salon - if your original stylist was on holiday your appointment should not have been moved over to a junior or any other stylist without contacting you and discussing this with you first (unless it was an emergency). The Salon should also have record of what treatments, colours etc you had at your last visit so they should have been prepared for this appointment. If you were really happy with your original results then I would bite the bullet, go back and ask for a 10 minute consultation with the original stylist. Explain your disappointment with both the assumption that you would be happy with a junior who didn't know your history but also the customer service/respect - or lack of - that you received. Colouring or lightening hair is not just a matter of bleaching - it is technical and at the end of the day you are paying a lot of money to someone to put chemicals on your hair. That person needs to be able to assess your hair condition and know what colours are required to get your desired result. Don't give up on your original stylist - finding one you trust is difficult enough - but do explain how let down you felt. Hairdressers do not want bad reviews, and most referrals are word of mouth. You never know they may offer your next treatment at a reduced price!