Gransnet forums

AIBU

Parking

(55 Posts)
tiffaney Tue 15-Aug-17 12:55:56

Am l being unreasonable to NOT want a neighbour 2 doors away who has a total of 5 cars, to keep parking in front of my house? Haven't said anything yet but it is beginning to annoy me.

NfkDumpling Fri 08-Sep-17 13:18:46

Our new neighbour had a problem with a resident from further along the road parking outside his house where he liked to park so he 'aquired' a large traffic cone and left that in the parking space. Funnily, it worked!

MissAdventure Fri 08-Sep-17 13:45:24

My daughter has a man down her road who flies into a rage if anyone parks outside his bungalow. I almost wish I drove, just so I could park there.

Craicon Fri 08-Sep-17 13:46:50

Moving to the middle of nowhere might not sort the problem. grin
I live rurally in a detached house with a large gravelled area all around the house and a 200ft 'driveway' that's about 3 cars wide.
And yet we still have Parking problems!
About 100mt away across the main road there's a Catholic church with a massive car park. Easily parks 100 cars (not marked spaces). The church is about a mile from the main village so only a handful of houses actually nearby.
Our parking problems occur when there's a big funeral, which can happen at least once a month.
Prior to the funeral, you have the wake whereby everyone (and their mother's aunty's third cousin twice removed) comes to offer condolences to the family of the deceased. There simply isn't enough room for everyone to park in the massive car park so they spill out onto the road and started to park up our driveway.
We first realised it was a serious problem shortly after moving in. Generally about 6pm in the evening, we'd have a procession of cars coming up the drive and driving around our house to turn around, driving back down the drive and parking either side of the drive leaving a space in the middle. (That's why I know it's 3 cars wide!)
When we went out to protest, no-one could see the problem and it was always 'but we're just here for the wake?' as if that made it ok.
One evening, some numpty started trying to pull up one of the fence posts that run along side the drive to open up the field for parking (!!!) until my husband yelled at him to stop. I also pointed out to the idiot that a large amorous bull lived in that field and he might take a shine to his car.
We've had to lock the metal farm gates at the entrance to stop this happening but it's a pain having to lock and unlock them. We're having new walls built at the entranceway and will probably fit electronic gates, so that will hopefully solve the problem.

Bluegal Mon 18-Sep-17 23:42:29

Ahh the on-going parking arguments! As has been said IF they are parking on the road with no restrictions then it doesn't matter if they are outside your house or not.

I live in an area where a lot of the houses were built pre-cars! Then came the car...and most people could park their car without upsetting their neighbours.......then came the time where most families had two cars.......it became a problem....arguments galore. Now, as you say OP, some families have in excess of 3 or more!!!!

I understand your frustration, but IF your problem is not that you can't park your car/s only that someone parks outside your house, I fear there is little point in getting your blood pressure raised and damaging your health over this issue. Actually even IF you can't park outside your house there is little you can actually do. Sad, but true!

Its a sign of the times I'm afraid. Just to make you feel better (maybe) a friend of mine in Edinburgh, had a parking permit but as she lived in tenement buildings there were never enough parking spaces for the amount of permits issued. She often found she couldn't park and so had to park round the corner.........but she didn't have a permit to park round the corner........I can't count the amount of parking fines she amassed over time! I counted myself lucky then if the only problem I had was neighbours parking outside my house.......

Totally understand though