Gransnet forums

AIBU

.. to feel uncomfortable bout this book loan ..

(178 Posts)
devongirl Wed 16-Aug-17 15:19:14

Hi GNers,

I don't know where to go with this but it is really unsettling me so hoping for pearls of wisdom!

My GD is 24; my current OH has known her since she was a toddler, we've been in a relationship on/off for years, he is now 66.

We both belong to book clubs and frequently swap books; DD has a degree in EngLit so also v interested in books. Recently he had with him a book he was intending to lend to her, but as I was between books he lent it to me first.

Thing is, it's a beautifully written novella - no problem there; but the first quarter contains a long explicit and intimate (physically and emotionally) description of a sexual encounter.

When I read it, I was horrified at the idea of him (66-year-old man) lending this to my 24-year-old DD to read.

Am I being a prude? I can't begin to describe how completely inappropriate that would have been IMO.

Can GNers see where I'm coming from? and what do you think?

devongirl Mon 21-Aug-17 10:41:45

trisher I have already said, I am not trying to censor my daughter's reading material, I have no problem with her reading this book per se.

Thanks to everyone for their input, you've given me lots of advice and different perspectives, it's been very helpful.

Elrel Sat 26-Aug-17 21:08:19

Result! I went into the charity bookshop and there was an immaculate hardback copy waiting for me on the shelf. I found nothing steamy, sleazy and in a sense there is no explicit sex, it's over before we get there!
What you do get us the story of a remarkable woman involved in an intimate relationship which she knows is almost certainly about to end. Her cool, thoughtful, insight and assessment of her circumstances is precisely described.
This is not the erotic book which some posters think they are writing about.
The person who served me recommended Waterland as being Graham Swift's best work. Like Last Orders, Mothering Sunday unhurriedly looks at the complication of the human circumstance.