Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be appalled by "celebrity" ; pregnancies

(47 Posts)
eddiecat78 Sun 27-Aug-17 10:01:05

In the hairdressers yesterday reading a "celeb" magazine I see that an ex-Eastender actress is pregnant despite having serious mental health issues and not having know the father five minutes. Meanwhile another "actress" tells us she is devastated about losing a baby which she had conceived whilst in the last throws of a catastrophic relationship.
Babies are most definitely the latest fashion accessory for a lot of these women - something that will improve their social media profile.
What sort of example is this setting to the young women who lap up these magazines?

travelsafar Mon 28-Aug-17 12:17:21

love love love Joanna Lumley so down to earth and confident in who she is as a person, plus of course that wonderful voice.

Ilovecheese Mon 28-Aug-17 12:37:15

But why shouldn't these "celebs" want to have children, or be unhappy after losing a baby. They are just people the same as anyone else.

Jaycee5 Mon 28-Aug-17 14:10:58

I agree with Eloethan and Ilovecheese
If someone is mentally ill they should not be used by these magazine, nor should they be judged for making poor decisions.
Criticising someone for being upset over losing a baby just because it was not what looks to most people like a bad relationship is beyond harsh.
These people need help and support not public ridicule.

hulahoop Mon 28-Aug-17 14:23:03

I'm with you imperfect think programs like "celebrity big brother "&get me out of here are just has beens trying to get noticed again I don't know half of them anyway but even the likes of Phil and holly make out these programs are to be watched .

norose4 Mon 28-Aug-17 14:30:06

Everyone knows accidents happen, but to deliberately take chances on getting pregnant wither or not you are a celebrity is just irresponsible . Many children born this way are without doubt loved, but for so many it doesn't work out that way, because the feckless parents were not up to the job when reality replaced the whim.

eddiecat78 Mon 28-Aug-17 15:45:18

Jaycee - just to elaborate a bit - the woman who lost the baby had already had one child with this man after virtually a one night stand and during that pregnancy he denied he was the father and they conducted a very public war of words - she then (god knows why) got pregnant with him again and he was shortly afterwards arrested for assaulting her.
She probably does need help (and a degree of sympathy) but her behaviour should not be publicised and made to seem acceptable.
Those of us of a more sensible vintage know that these "celebrities" should be ignored. Sadly, many young woman and even school girls are fascinated by them and are being told that getting pregnant so casually is a good thing and will get you lots of attention.

paddyann Mon 28-Aug-17 16:26:02

the teenage pregnancy rates have dropped quite a lot recently,I dont think many girls would think its a sensible idea to get pregnant so they get attention...certainly no one I have ever known...girls do get pregnant but please remember it takes TWO for that to happen and often its forgotten that the father shares responsibilty for that new life.He could have used protection if he didn't want his girlfriend/partner/one night stand to get pregnant...or are you suggesting she tricked him into it for gain?

eddiecat78 Mon 28-Aug-17 17:06:51

paddyann - I`ve no idea what she was thinking when the baby was conceived - she certainly wasn`t thinking sensibly
(and yes, the men`s reckless behaviour is just as reprehensible)

Coconut Mon 28-Aug-17 17:33:13

Have just finished working in a senior school and in the " Sphere" lessons they cover everything from personal hygiene, sex, drugs etc They also cover relationships and do highlight the celebrity ones, Katy Price, Kerry Katona etc They teach the kids about the effects of rushing into marriage, " bandaid babies", having kids with various fathers and many other pitfalls. As you say, teenagers are so in awe of so called celebs and it was interesting listening to the kids comments on the above. Family units have changed in so many ways now and when I saw the damage some of it has caused, it really is quite tragic. Every child needs and deserves to be loved and secure, preferably with very good role models. Unfortunately our world today is far from perfect and we are now paying the high price for so much poor and inadequate parenting.

maddy629 Mon 28-Aug-17 17:42:18

Why read rubbish like this? It isn't only so called celebs who have babies as a fashion accessory, what about the mothers who dress their small daughters as mini me's. As for Diana, she would have been alive today if the royals had not withdrawn her security, after all she was the mother of a future king, hopefully the next one but that's another topic. She should have been better protected, not thrown to the wolves.

eddiecat78 Mon 28-Aug-17 17:50:55

Maddy - I`m not advocating that anyone should read this rubbish (and I don`t myself unless pushed for something to read at the hairdresser`s) - but pretending it doesn`t exist (or influence people) is naive.
Having said that - I have no idea how to put a stop to it!

gagsy Mon 28-Aug-17 18:24:59

Celebrated for what?

Caro1954 Mon 28-Aug-17 18:33:25

Hear hear to Eddiecats latest post. My DD's ex's new "friend" has just proved how much it influences ...

Iam64 Mon 28-Aug-17 18:59:12

maddy629 - thanks for commenting sympathetically and Imo realistically about Diana.
As for the celebrity culture - it's with us, whether we like it, watch it, or not. I don't watch any of the celeb programmes but I confess to looking at Eh Up magazine at the dentist, which is where I'm confronted by celebs and have no idea who they are. Correction, I know about Kerry Katona and Jordan/Katie Price because they've been around for so long. Kerry was a child in care so I've always hoped she'd have a more stable adult life than she has. Katie Price/Jordan - what can be said? Ditto Daniella Westbrook, the ex Eastenders Cocaine queen who I read on line this morning is pregnant in her early 40's and once more, saying she's happier than ever.
it's al tosh isn't it. Sad, depressing and so far from ordinary real life as to be meaningless.

norose4 Mon 28-Aug-17 19:00:23

A seat belt may also have made a difference !!

SussexGirl60 Tue 29-Aug-17 07:39:29

I agree that news about celebs in mags etc is ridiculous and impressionable teenagers are to an extent affected by it. But eventually the real world kicks in for them! On the whole, people are having families at a later age and want everything right before they do have children.- To me, it seems they've almost gone the other way. In our day, we just had our families and muddled along. Now, they establish themselves (almost too much I think) before the kids arrive.

Serkeen Tue 29-Aug-17 10:33:17

Totally agree eddiecat78

My Neighbour once tweeted Ariana Grande (a current pop singer) asking her to be more responsible with her attire as she was adored by many teenage girls, she has two teenaged girls.

Ariana tweeted back and said "mind your own business" shock

Oh well she though it was worth a try I suppose grin

Tegan2 Tue 29-Aug-17 14:22:45

There was a three girl group a few years back [may have been All Saints] that had a pregnant member who showed her baby bump whilst performing on TOTP's. It was either at that time [or because of it] that it seemed to become fashionable to flaunt baby bumps rather than hide them under loose fitting tent type dresses. A good thing in some ways but I remember thinking at the time that the 'bump' was going to become a fashion accessory [which it did]. Then, of course you get the 'look at me, I've just had a baby yet my stomach is flat as a pancake' Hello Magazine photoshoots which must be awful for 'normal' new mothers who haven't had caesarians [sp]with tummy tucks done [don't quote me on that one but I was told it happened by someone who worked for the BBC].

3nanny6 Thu 31-Aug-17 12:27:26

I do take an interest in what the celebrities get up to and yes they seem to think that the addition of a baby will solve all problems. It is sad that the young women of this world do also follow what these celebrities do with their lives. Young women spend their time on mobile phones taking pictures of themselves and children and posting them on social media sites. I even see it happening with family members of my own.
I get called old fashioned for saying the children should have good toys and books but I see many very young kids on phones and tablets but no parent inter-acting with them. I have even had a little argument for saying the children are not being taught properly what views has anyone else got?

lemongrove Thu 31-Aug-17 14:10:40

I take no notice of celebrities or non celebrities who are called celebs.I don't buy magazines either, so usually have no idea about who actually is a celeb.?
There will be a lot of nonsense spoken both by them and about them.

norose4 Thu 31-Aug-17 19:54:02

Totally agree 3nanny6, at my 5 yr old grandsons birthday party I was horrified to observe a couple for over an hour , sit next to each texting,they did not speak or look at each other worse still they did not watch their dear son enjoying the magician or the games, they never looked at him once! I found it so upsetting & felt so sad for their dear boy .