Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbours' fence panel down

(65 Posts)
Smurf52 Fri 15-Sep-17 14:41:22

I've just moved into a rented house and was hoping this would be my forever home (well, until my money runs out that is). Then I noticed dog poo in my garden. Looking behind my shrubs I notice the fence panel (the letting agent has said it's the neighbours fence) has disintegrated and collapsed on their side and their dog is getting into my garden. Every day the dog has done their business on my side.

The letting agent says to contact police which I don't really want to do as when I first moved in there were Macdonalds wrappers etc hurled over on to my side and I dread to think what would happen if I get on the wrong side of them.

I have dropped a note into their letterbox offering to put up a panel at my expense and giving my phone number but they don't seem that bothered as they've not got back to me. The agent says next door is privately owned so there is not a landlord/letting agency I can contact.

AIBU in wanting to get this sorted out? For now I have put folded flat removal boxes alongside and by the sound of the yapping it's a small dog so hopefully it won't vault over. I am not anti dog, in fact I am hoping to get a dog once I am settled in, hence wanting to get the fence sorted....

Legs55 Sat 16-Sep-17 22:11:38

When we lived in our house, one of a pair of semis our deeds showed that we were responsible for both sides of the garden but not the short wall at the bottom of the garden. This led to (friendly) arguments with new neighbours. He wanted to put up new fencing & no amount of showing our Deeds would convince him so we said "just get on with it", he put up lovely garden fencing.

I would just do as you've decided to do & put up a temporary barrier, don't fall out with your neighbours, it's not worth it

penny4them Sat 16-Sep-17 22:47:46

I always thought it was the fencing on the right side of your property you were responsible for when you face the property . The left side is the neighbours responsibility.I always ended up paying for 3 sides ,as my neighbour didnt take responsibility for any of it,as i was a woman on my own ,and he knew i couldnt face rows with him.We both owned our own properties. Life was hell unless i paid up,as he had two dogs who could get in my garden .Glad i moved away and brought a flat.Hope you can find a way to resolve your problem .Take care though ,you dont know what youre dealing with ,people can make your life a living hell. Good luck .

IngeJones Sun 17-Sep-17 09:45:48

Anya I can confirm what you say. I live between two neighbors who don't use their gardens and didn't care what I did with the fences. I was surrounded by broken fence and no one had any idea whose was what. So I paid for and erected a brand new fence both sides and while I was at it I put the supports facing them so we had the nice side all around. Again no one complained and no one cared. If anyone tried to guess whose fence it is based on the supports, they're going to be very confused.

alig99 Sun 17-Sep-17 12:11:18

The advice on here is getting way to complicated. As you are willing to pay for the repair why not just get a fencing company in to put a new panel/s on your side of the garden to cover up the hole in neighbours fence. This could easily be disguised with planting, taken down when you leave if the landlord wants it removed AND the neighbours can't say anything as it's on your side AND the dog won't be able to get in...result!?

Norah Sun 17-Sep-17 17:11:03

Do what alig99 and I suggested, get panels put to your side, no more poo.

Smurf52 Sun 17-Sep-17 22:35:32

I am delighted to report that my landlords came round and put up temporary hardboard fencing. They are going to renew all the fencing despite it being the neighbours (they are happy about it - well lets face it who wouldn't be - as he discussed this in the garden with them). I am a happy bunny now. Thanks all for your suggestions and support.

M0nica Sun 17-Sep-17 22:39:43

Who owns the fence is in the deeds. The generally quoted 'rules of thumb' can be very misleading. We are responsible for all the fences around our back garden, left right and back.

It is very difficult to make someone else repair there own fence if they do want to and there is very little you can do legally.

The best, and generally only, thing to do is to block the gap in the fence on your side. The police suggestion is ridiculous. Your neighbour has not committed a crime, he is well within his rights as to whether he repairs his fence or not.

cornergran Sun 17-Sep-17 22:54:50

That's a good result, smurf, pleased for you.

Auntieflo Mon 18-Sep-17 09:40:37

What a great result Smurf. Happy bunny indeed. ?

midgey Mon 18-Sep-17 09:56:24

Good to hear you are sorted. The law says it is the dog owners responsibility to keep their dog in, not your to keep it out! You don't need to bother with that nowsmile

Grannyguitar Tue 19-Sep-17 11:48:40

The only way to be really sure who owns which fence, is to see the title deeds, which as a tenant, you won't have. However, you could ask the Land Registry if a copy of the ground plan is available (would be chargeable of course). There is a little mark like a T which shows who is responsible for which fence. If it turns out to be your Landlord's, then keep on nagging til they do something!

Nannyme Tue 19-Sep-17 16:14:37

The chain link fence between our neighbours and us was the neighbours responsibility and it was impossible to cut our grAss without getting bits of rusty wire in the mower, he wouldn't do anything about it so we erected a panel fence all the way along, I'm so much happier and he has never said a word, so I would make your side secure and don't worry about whose fence it is

Barmyoldbat Tue 19-Sep-17 17:43:00

I would talk to your landlord and ask him to put a fence up on your side of the garden, failing that get him to talk to the neighbours. It's his property and he can probably well afford a couple of panels. Tell him if it isn't sorted you will look at leaving. Worth a try.

lionpops Fri 22-Sep-17 07:51:06

Letting Agent is a bit out of touch if she thinks dog poo in your garden is a matter for Police. You have three choices. Speak to your neighbour and as the note hasn't worked not a choice I would now take. Put up a reed screen as another poster has suggested. Plant Leylandi , it will grow swiftly. There is another choice and that is move before you get completely stressed. You won't change these people.