Gransnet forums

AIBU

What's wrong with bidets?

(110 Posts)
giulia Sat 23-Sep-17 11:08:42

I intend coming back to the UK in the short term, after almost 50 years of living in places where bidets in bathrooms are the norm. It would be fair to say that the lack of a bidet would be one of the things that I would mind most upon my return. Why are people in the UK so against them? Should you have one, you would be considered a tremendous snob -is what I'm told. I know you can buy them in the UK: I've seen them in the shops, but I have never seen one anywhere in an actual bathroom. I visited a most luxurious one recently, on my latest visit to the UK, but there was no bidet. They are soooo useful. Fantastic footbaths or for leaving smalls overnight. I use mine to quickly disinfect washable shoes too. I use it both for its natural purpose and to rinse my feet, before I step into a luxurious bath. My bidet also gives me so much self confidence in hot weather. Most of all, it was essential prior to the menopause (one problem less, thankfully). Wetwipes just aren't the same and also risk blocking the sewer, even if they are called "disposable".

henetha Sat 23-Sep-17 11:23:57

I've never used a bidet but I'm sure they are as great as you say. You could simply buy one and have it installed?
None of us will think you are a snob, I promise. Just sensible and doing what you want.
I use wet wipes quite a lot for all sorts of things, but never put them down the loo.
They go in with the black bin bags recycle stuff.

Lindylou51 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:24:51

I can't agree more! We have had a bidet for years. We have no plans to move house but if we did the new bathroom would have to be big enough to have a bidet installed.

Charleygirl Sat 23-Sep-17 11:31:22

I am not averse to bidets but I have never owned a house with a bathroom large enough to house a bidet.

Bubbe Sat 23-Sep-17 11:42:29

We had a bidet in our last house and I do miss it. Apparently combined toilet/bidet WCs are becoming more popular now. (Of course leaving your smalls in there overnight or washing your feet, could be a bit of a problem)

Luckygirl Sat 23-Sep-17 12:01:58

My GC regard ours as their own private facility. They use it to wash their hands after going to the loo - oh and to float boats in and play with bubbles!

I find the design of bidets a bit weird for their original purpose but it does get used for this too!

pensionpat Sat 23-Sep-17 12:25:45

My son and his wife bought a house with a bidet in the bathroom. They hated it. Said it was "very 80s". they had it taken out. I think they're great. Would love one if bathroom were bigger.

JackyB Sat 23-Sep-17 12:25:52

We have a bidet in the bathroom. I think my husband uses it, but if I need a quick rinse "down there", I strip off and go in the shower. I find it very awkward to get at everything whilst sitting in an uncomfortable position on a cold ceramic rim and end up making a mess all over the place.

We had hoped to put in a urinal in the place where the bidet actually is, which would have been more useful, being a household with 4 men (at the time) but the sloping roof would have made it difficult to stand up.

ninathenana Sat 23-Sep-17 13:02:02

I don't think most newer houses have the space. Our house is 1950s, we certainly couldn't fit one.
Having said that even 5* hotels don't seem to have them, at least not ones I've stayed in in UK.

Grannyknot Sat 23-Sep-17 13:30:21

I recently used a shower (in a friend's house) where you could set the spray of water to either come from the top (as usual), or at sort of chest height (when you don't want wet hair) or aimed at your wotsit only if that's what was required. Very luxurious!

At home when I want to clean my undercarriage, I stand in the bath and use the hosed hand shower attachment.

I find bidets are a nuisance to use...can't imagine needing one.

giulia Sat 23-Sep-17 13:33:02

I do notice that "wetrooms" seem to be the new thing. What are they? Somewhere to jump up and down while the shower water gets hot enough? I think a bidet would be much more useful in the same space.

NotTooOld Sat 23-Sep-17 13:33:57

We recently had our en-suite refitted by a local firm who told us they could not supply a bidet as 'there was no call for them these days'. I was determined to have one so DH located one easily enough on the internet and it was delivered. The fitters had no problem installing it even though our bathroom is not big and also has a sloping roof. I am so glad we persevered as the bidet is brilliant and I would not be without it. I should add that we do use it for its intended purpose!

giulia Sat 23-Sep-17 13:35:09

Grannyknot ... I LOVE the expression "undercarriage[]

lemongrove Sat 23-Sep-17 13:37:50

Only ever had a bathroom with one in once, a long time ago, yes, useful then, not so much now, We just shower every morning.Nobody will think you a snob if you have one put in, just don't think they are all that popular in the UK.Recently stayed at a very swish hotel with a huge bathroom, but it didn't have one.

giulia Sat 23-Sep-17 13:48:26

lemongrove - that 's precisely the drag of not having a bidet. We all shower in the morning. It's staying (and feeling) fresh, especially when it is hot, or when a youger woman has the curse, that makes the difference.

Luckygirl Sat 23-Sep-17 13:59:53

The absence of a seat makes the task less comfortable than it could be.

hildajenniJ Sat 23-Sep-17 14:01:32

We have a bidet in our bathroom. I don't use it know as often as I used to when I was menstruating. Unloved it then! I still use it occasionally, but it mostly sits there with the bathroom spray and a cleaning cloth in it.?

hildajenniJ Sat 23-Sep-17 14:02:40

I loved it then.

SueDonim Sat 23-Sep-17 14:13:08

We had a bidet for many years and it was used for all sorts of things, including washing a puppy!

This year we had our bathroom refurbished and I was persuaded to not have a bidet by the sales rep, because 'no one has one these days'. Our new bathroom is lovely, but I very much miss the bidet, and I wish I'd stuck to my own instincts. sad

People who say they use the shower instead, imo, a bidet isn't a replacement for a shower, it's in addition. We only have an over-the-bath shower, in any case, and the bidet was brilliant for a quick freshen up which takes two minutes.

I'm now thinking about getting one of those fancy toilet seats that washes your 'necessaries' with warm water and air dries.

Moocow Sat 23-Sep-17 14:36:16

We have one as we had space but like a previous comment people are reluctant to bother fit them. So silly not to have them as the norm I think as like other extras they are sooo useful for many reasons.

Lisalou Sat 23-Sep-17 14:37:37

I have had them in some of my homes over the years, they used to be popular in Spain and you saw them in all bathrooms. Only just occurred to me that i haven'
t seen one for years (Have to say I had it taken out in my last house as the bathroom was minute! )

Beau Sat 23-Sep-17 14:44:55

I'm new so this is my first post - strange subject for a first post! I know exactly why I never use them in hotels and it might be a clue why I have never wanted one at home - I find the idea of a flannel and/or towel just for my 'undercarriage' too unhygienic, in that it would have to go straight into the washing machine each time it was used. Not a problem at home as I live alone but that's what I don't understand about bidets - the logistics in a household with more than one person. I use the moist wipes so in theory a bidet would be cheaper as well, I just don't know how to use one. My chiropodist uses one as a footpath which always makes me chuckle ☺️

Greyduster Sat 23-Sep-17 15:01:10

We had one in the bathroom in a house we lived in abroad. I liked it and have always wished we had room for one since, but most British bathrooms just aren't big enough. We are currently in the process of having a new bathroom with a hand showering facility combined with the rain shower. I hope this will not only be useful for rinsing one's hair!
sue donim I have a disabled relative who has one of those all singing all dancing toilets - it cost about five thousand pounds ?!
grannyknot we stayed in a holiday cottage last week where two of he bathrooms had those multijet showers - we couldn't work out how to turn it on!

lemongrove Sat 23-Sep-17 15:02:20

Tbh I managed periods just fine without a bidet, and these days do feel fresh all day after a shower, but on very hot days ( rare) a cool shower before bedtime is lovely.We have an overhead fixed head shower and a lower, moveable one, so can shower without shampooing when needed.
If you have the space, then have a bidet, but most people like a bathroom with a bath, a shower cubicle, washbasin and cupboards and a toilet, and rarely have space for more.

NanaMacGeek Sat 23-Sep-17 15:07:56

Our house was built in the 80's and the owner had a bidet included in the en suite. Once we bought the house and moved in, I soon learnt that a bidet is a useful and practical piece of equipment.

When we modernised our en suite recently, I insisted that we had another bidet. We found it very difficult to source and the local firm supplying the fittings said they couldn't find one, although they managed in the end. The en suite is small but there is just room for the bidet between the toilet and the shower (the shower has an inward opening bi-fold door to maximise the space). Where there's a will, there's a way!