Gransnet forums

AIBU

What's wrong with bidets?

(111 Posts)
giulia Sat 23-Sep-17 11:08:42

I intend coming back to the UK in the short term, after almost 50 years of living in places where bidets in bathrooms are the norm. It would be fair to say that the lack of a bidet would be one of the things that I would mind most upon my return. Why are people in the UK so against them? Should you have one, you would be considered a tremendous snob -is what I'm told. I know you can buy them in the UK: I've seen them in the shops, but I have never seen one anywhere in an actual bathroom. I visited a most luxurious one recently, on my latest visit to the UK, but there was no bidet. They are soooo useful. Fantastic footbaths or for leaving smalls overnight. I use mine to quickly disinfect washable shoes too. I use it both for its natural purpose and to rinse my feet, before I step into a luxurious bath. My bidet also gives me so much self confidence in hot weather. Most of all, it was essential prior to the menopause (one problem less, thankfully). Wetwipes just aren't the same and also risk blocking the sewer, even if they are called "disposable".

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:18:56

I was thinking of growing plants in it (in the garden)!

It was never that great to use anyway - giulia is welcome to it - free but buyer to collect grin

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:20:10

buyer? I mean 'free to collect'

Welshwife Wed 01-Nov-17 16:52:11

I have read through this thread but no one has mentioned the fact which I find odd - in the French houses I have seen most have had a bidet - BUT the toilet is always separate and the bidet is in the bathroom ---- without a toilet!!! grin In fact we have that in our little house still and the toilet is a short walk away from the bathroom. We had the same in the house we live in but altered it and now do not have a bidet here.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:03:12

an awkward walk from toilet to bidet Welshwife grin

Cubagran Tue 12-Dec-17 22:03:35

We lived in Cyprus for a few years and both of the houses we rented had bidets - oh, how I loved them! So useful, could give the baby a quick bath, soak the nappies, wash feet etc, as well as for their intended use. DM came out to stay with us once, had never seen one before, turned the tap on and got soaked, as it was an upwards fountain one! (Made DH's day!).

NotTooOld Tue 12-Dec-17 22:10:23

Bidets are l like Marmite - you love 'em or hate 'em. I love mine, wouldn't be without it.

giulia Fri 29-Dec-17 13:07:04

Here in Italy they are usually right next to the loo. From memory, in France it was the same.

giulia Fri 29-Dec-17 13:07:37

Here in Italy they are usually right next to the loo. From memory, in France it was the same.

Alexa Mon 01-Jan-18 20:52:23

My house has a wetroom downstairs, with bidet. Bidet is good for washing my bottom , and the shower is good for washing my dog, and visiting dog when necessary. I like to have a clean bottom. I bought a portable plastic bidet for the upstairs bathroom. It sits over the lavatory pan with the seat up. The wetroom with bidet was already in place when I bought the house. The tiles and pipes are what estate agents call 'in need of updating' but my priority is usefulness unless the colours are atrocious not just dated. Pink tiles with pink bouquets on them.

Nelliemoser Mon 01-Jan-18 21:14:44

Its just not British you know. wink
I think they are a good idea but I don't have room.