Gransnet forums

AIBU

What's wrong with bidets?

(111 Posts)
giulia Sat 23-Sep-17 11:08:42

I intend coming back to the UK in the short term, after almost 50 years of living in places where bidets in bathrooms are the norm. It would be fair to say that the lack of a bidet would be one of the things that I would mind most upon my return. Why are people in the UK so against them? Should you have one, you would be considered a tremendous snob -is what I'm told. I know you can buy them in the UK: I've seen them in the shops, but I have never seen one anywhere in an actual bathroom. I visited a most luxurious one recently, on my latest visit to the UK, but there was no bidet. They are soooo useful. Fantastic footbaths or for leaving smalls overnight. I use mine to quickly disinfect washable shoes too. I use it both for its natural purpose and to rinse my feet, before I step into a luxurious bath. My bidet also gives me so much self confidence in hot weather. Most of all, it was essential prior to the menopause (one problem less, thankfully). Wetwipes just aren't the same and also risk blocking the sewer, even if they are called "disposable".

giulia Tue 26-Sep-17 06:22:35

Excuse my ignorance (I don't live in the UK) but what is a wetroom? From what I see on photos for retirement homes, it looks as though the space where the bathtub had been has been converted to a shower at one end - with no rim to trip over - and the rest is just a space to dance around in while the shower heats up. What's the big deal? Why remove a bath tub for that?

SueDonim Mon 25-Sep-17 18:43:47

Grandmama no one outside the family would have known we had a bidet. It was in our ensuite bathroom where guests almost never ventured and the topic never came up in conversation. grin

CherryHatrick Mon 25-Sep-17 17:26:50

MTD if you have a bath you soak both feet an bum in the same water. With a bidet you can put in the plug and fill to soak your feet, or you can use the squirter to wash your bits, or use the plug and give your piles a soak...you could use the same water for all three I suppose, but most people would empty and refill. grin

MTDancer Mon 25-Sep-17 16:05:09

I'm confused. If you use a bidet for washing underneath, then why would you soak your feet in it? You wouldn't soak your feet in a toilet, would you. I have L.S. and dermatitis down there so I would love a bidet (but I wouldn't use it for soaking feet!)

aggie Mon 25-Sep-17 07:32:50

I have ordinary showers that you can direct the water to where it is needed , as said already , bidets with no seat and too low are not great for anyone with sore knees and dicky hips

EmiliasNan Mon 25-Sep-17 02:22:20

I'd always wanted a bidet and when we had our ensuite modernised recently I stuck to my guns this time and had one installed, and it is BLISS. I love knowing that my underneath is clean and fresh every day even if I don't shower - I don't seem to sweat much anywhere else (use wetwipes under my arms) and only wash my hair a couple of times a week. It literally is just for my use (husband was vaguely perplexed but happy if it made me happy) and I feel so confident and clean and fresh every day, I'm so glad I insisted smile

MawBroon Mon 25-Sep-17 00:01:59

Now forgive me if I have not followed the pro and anti argument over bidets regarding personal hygiene.
What's wrong is the image bidets present of dated "one upmanship" in the domestic stakes
Think
Abigail's Party
Avocado suites
Jacuzzi baths
Shag pile carpets
Gold plated taps
Pampas grass
Hostess trolleys
Ford Cortinas
Cabochon jewellery parties

And you can see why bidets dropped out of modern bathroom fashions, now all wet rooms, raindance showers, LED concealed lighting and tiles everywhere. ? ?

Legs55 Sun 24-Sep-17 23:52:05

I have never seen the benefits of having a bidet, even all of you singing their praises hasen't swayed me.

I have a wet room (already here when I moved in) which I love, I can't get in/out of a bath. I don't think I could get up off a bidet as I have to have a raised toilet seat (with handles) to enable me to get up off the toilet. For me a shower is enough to keep me cleanblush

Solitaire Sun 24-Sep-17 23:08:16

I just love my bidet..it has all kinds of uses!! grin
I have a whirlpool bath too which my son wanted when he lived at home and a walk-in multi jet power shower/ massager in the downstairs shower room. They all get used daily after rugby, horse riding, gardening etc. One of the reasons I don't want to downsize. ?

Grandmama Sun 24-Sep-17 21:15:35

Bidets? This post has amazed me. I'm not aware of anyone I know having a bidet. We don't even have a shower in our avocado bathroom.

annodomini Sun 24-Sep-17 20:32:57

I had one in my last house but can't say I've felt the lack of it since I downsized.

PamelaJ1 Sun 24-Sep-17 19:57:52

A friend went to stay with friends in the US and came across an upwards fountain bidet.
Absolutely thrilled by this they decided to film it.
She sat (wouldn't work if there wasn't a bottom on it) then jumped off so he could get a video. Unfortunately it flooded the room and they had to come up with a reason why the towels were soaking wet!! Normal for Norfolk?

Grannyguitar Sun 24-Sep-17 19:45:31

We had a bidet in a previous house, but I could never get the water temperature right and nearly boiled myself several times! I once heard my small son explaining its use to a friend and telling him 'Look, you can get it to spray the ceiling!' Yes, it was dripping when I went in there!

wondergran Sun 24-Sep-17 19:43:09

I'm think lemongrove has hit the nail on the head; we simply don't have room for them in our UK bathrooms. I would love to have a bidet in my bathroom but it's far too small. I've only ever seen them whilst holiday abroad. Perhaps we have a bit of a bum phobia in this country.

Breda Sun 24-Sep-17 19:28:36

My father had one installed in our bathroom way back in 1966. My mother thought he was being stupid and was very critical as I recall!

MissAdventure Sun 24-Sep-17 19:10:04

Ah, ok. I think my imagination got the better of me there grin

pollyperkins Sun 24-Sep-17 19:08:28

It's only a gentle warmish fountain - lovely! Not a hard squirt!

MissAdventure Sun 24-Sep-17 19:03:12

Is an upward squirt of water healthy? I always think of embolisms or something. I've never used a bidet, but enjoyed reading about them here. They sound great!

pollyperkins Sun 24-Sep-17 18:59:21

I suggested this for our new bathroom but was poo pooed (pardon the pun) by all the family who said no-one has them these days and they are quite unnecessary. I dont find a shower washes you in quite the right direction. And do you all have separate towels for drying your bottom after a shower??!! If not why is a bidet dfferent? From what I recall a flannel is not needed - but Im thinking of the upward fountain type. What do the new ones do?

AlgeswifeVal Sun 24-Sep-17 18:19:41

I would love to have a bidet at home but my bathroom is too small. My husband and I used to own a villa in Spain which had a bidet, loved using it, now sold. I often wonder why the UK doesn't have these like other countries. Shame.

Grannyknot Sun 24-Sep-17 18:03:18

This thread is making me grin.

Firstly, it has spawned TMI blush in some of the replies. Secondly - A Bidet in Every Bathroom! Soon come the TV series ...

JackyB Sun 24-Sep-17 18:01:35

I'm still not convinced. And how come you are sitting in the bidet? I've never seen one that is big enough - and even if it was, how would you get in and out? (With a lot of grunting and preferably with the use of pulleys?)

I have been reminded of the tip the midwife gave me after my first birth: An old-fashioned jug of warm water beside the loo, which you poured down over your "bits" to wash afterwards. Found that quite helpful. And no water squirting off in all directions.

CardiffJaguar Sun 24-Sep-17 17:56:34

They are more common than many people believe. We've had one in our previous home but not at present because of space and plumbing problems. I believe that having so many French people employed in the UK has made a difference in perceptions.

Iam64 Sun 24-Sep-17 17:38:12

There have been bidets in a couple of houses when we moved in. They were not replaced when we had better bathrooms installed. I don't believe I'm a grubby person but a good shower does the trick - or am I on my own here?

Doreen5 Sun 24-Sep-17 17:35:12

Have always had a bidet in each bathroom. Marvellous!