Gransnet forums

AIBU

What's wrong with bidets?

(110 Posts)
Grannyknot Sat 23-Sep-17 13:30:21

I recently used a shower (in a friend's house) where you could set the spray of water to either come from the top (as usual), or at sort of chest height (when you don't want wet hair) or aimed at your wotsit only if that's what was required. Very luxurious!

At home when I want to clean my undercarriage, I stand in the bath and use the hosed hand shower attachment.

I find bidets are a nuisance to use...can't imagine needing one.

ninathenana Sat 23-Sep-17 13:02:02

I don't think most newer houses have the space. Our house is 1950s, we certainly couldn't fit one.
Having said that even 5* hotels don't seem to have them, at least not ones I've stayed in in UK.

JackyB Sat 23-Sep-17 12:25:52

We have a bidet in the bathroom. I think my husband uses it, but if I need a quick rinse "down there", I strip off and go in the shower. I find it very awkward to get at everything whilst sitting in an uncomfortable position on a cold ceramic rim and end up making a mess all over the place.

We had hoped to put in a urinal in the place where the bidet actually is, which would have been more useful, being a household with 4 men (at the time) but the sloping roof would have made it difficult to stand up.

pensionpat Sat 23-Sep-17 12:25:45

My son and his wife bought a house with a bidet in the bathroom. They hated it. Said it was "very 80s". they had it taken out. I think they're great. Would love one if bathroom were bigger.

Luckygirl Sat 23-Sep-17 12:01:58

My GC regard ours as their own private facility. They use it to wash their hands after going to the loo - oh and to float boats in and play with bubbles!

I find the design of bidets a bit weird for their original purpose but it does get used for this too!

Bubbe Sat 23-Sep-17 11:42:29

We had a bidet in our last house and I do miss it. Apparently combined toilet/bidet WCs are becoming more popular now. (Of course leaving your smalls in there overnight or washing your feet, could be a bit of a problem)

Charleygirl Sat 23-Sep-17 11:31:22

I am not averse to bidets but I have never owned a house with a bathroom large enough to house a bidet.

Lindylou51 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:24:51

I can't agree more! We have had a bidet for years. We have no plans to move house but if we did the new bathroom would have to be big enough to have a bidet installed.

henetha Sat 23-Sep-17 11:23:57

I've never used a bidet but I'm sure they are as great as you say. You could simply buy one and have it installed?
None of us will think you are a snob, I promise. Just sensible and doing what you want.
I use wet wipes quite a lot for all sorts of things, but never put them down the loo.
They go in with the black bin bags recycle stuff.

giulia Sat 23-Sep-17 11:08:42

I intend coming back to the UK in the short term, after almost 50 years of living in places where bidets in bathrooms are the norm. It would be fair to say that the lack of a bidet would be one of the things that I would mind most upon my return. Why are people in the UK so against them? Should you have one, you would be considered a tremendous snob -is what I'm told. I know you can buy them in the UK: I've seen them in the shops, but I have never seen one anywhere in an actual bathroom. I visited a most luxurious one recently, on my latest visit to the UK, but there was no bidet. They are soooo useful. Fantastic footbaths or for leaving smalls overnight. I use mine to quickly disinfect washable shoes too. I use it both for its natural purpose and to rinse my feet, before I step into a luxurious bath. My bidet also gives me so much self confidence in hot weather. Most of all, it was essential prior to the menopause (one problem less, thankfully). Wetwipes just aren't the same and also risk blocking the sewer, even if they are called "disposable".