Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not a pleasant topic but it can happen to all of us....

(40 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 08-Oct-17 11:51:29

No I'm not talking about death but about everyday life. We all use public toilets and those in friends / relatives homes. The majority do provide loo brushes just in case but what can you do if you need the brush and their isn't one.

No one likes leaving a "floater" or "pan splatter" after a second or even third flush but what's the alternative? In public loos some pile in loads of paper to hide it but all that does is to make the problem worse for the next time. All for the lack of a loo brush!

Ana Sun 08-Oct-17 12:14:43

I don' like toilet brushes. If i'ts just the odd floater or splash on the bowl I'll scoop te floater up with toilet paper or scrub the splash off using te same. Quick flush, wash hands and problem solved!

Teetime Sun 08-Oct-17 12:26:29

Exactly ana . Loo brushes are filthy things and that's why they have disappeared from public loos they are a place where bacteria and viruses can proliferate. I know some people will say they have them at home but what is OK at home is not necessarily OK in public places. I don't have one at home. In the Infection Control Manual I helped to write for the Health Authority I worked in the wording re cleaning loos was 'heavy duty paper held in a gloved hand'. So plenty of loo roll and a good hand wash will suffice in a domestic situation.

Imperfect27 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:32:54

Yes Ana and Teetime - I agree loo brushes are a health hazard. And yes, I have in the past reverted to a fistful of loo paper and rigorous hand-washing afterwards. I try to 'leave it as I would want to find'.

Bellanonna Sun 08-Oct-17 12:33:23

Ana and Teetime. Totally agree.

Marydoll Sun 08-Oct-17 12:53:55

I went into an airport loo directly after another lady recently. I couldn't believe that someone could blatantly walk out and leave such a disgusting mess. The seat, bowl and surround were spattered. I thought I was going to be sick?She had made no attempt to try and clean up.

tanith Sun 08-Oct-17 13:00:09

I agree loo brushes are filthy things. I keep antiseptic wipes by the loo for cleaning up a mess then rigorous hand washing.

Day6 Sun 08-Oct-17 13:20:09

I am a bit OCD about loo brushes. I think they are handy things for guests because I know I feel embarrassed if I leave skid marks in the pan and I think others do too.

My loo brush and holder has to be cleaned after every use though. I have to tell my partner to do the same. No way is he allowed to use it and then just plonk it back in it's container. He knows full well that even if he does rinse it afterwards I'll be around with disinfectant within 24hrs. I'd rather clean a loo brush/container than have to keep cleaning a stained loo after visitors tbh.

dogsmother Sun 08-Oct-17 13:26:02

Hate them with a passion, have one in my downstairs toilet for visitors. But I leave bottles of bleach alongside toilets otherwise.

Day6 Sun 08-Oct-17 13:26:12

Oh - I have to say in all my 60+ years I don't recall being ill after visiting any loos which had loo brushes in them. They can be vile and I don't understand people who have brown stained manky things sitting in their bathrooms, but keeping hands clean after loo visiting seems to have worked for me all these years.

Can we be a bit too precious about 'unclean' things? May be? (Says the woman who is OCD about clean loos and sinks grin )

BBbevan Sun 08-Oct-17 14:18:50

A loo brush will never ever enter my house

Moocow Sun 08-Oct-17 14:25:57

Gosh! I clean mine by using bleach just like cleaning the toilet bowl. So many times reports of how people still don't wash their hands properly at varoius times of the day make me wonder about all these hands going into toilet bowls now!

suzied Sun 08-Oct-17 14:33:58

I can remember an episode of Kim and Aggie ( remember them?) where they advised putting the loo brush in the loo and soaking it in bleach and leaving for a couple of hours to clean it thoroughly. I don't use a brush as a rule, just a spray and loo paper, my OH does use the brush ( after being shown how to use it) so a good soak every week or so keeps the brush pristine. Plus replacing regularly.

Grannyknot Sun 08-Oct-17 15:10:48

Someone on Gransnet posted (some years ago now) about cleaning their toilet brush by putting it in the dishwasher ... shock!

Nannarose Sun 08-Oct-17 15:14:27

I soak my loo brushes in bleach, and use them to give the under rim a good scrub, so wouldn't be without them.

I think it can be very difficult to clean a public loo, and honestly, best left to the staff (who I always tip if I see them!)

ninathenana Sun 08-Oct-17 15:17:53

What do you do with the 'floater' after you've scooped it confused

jollyg Sun 08-Oct-17 15:32:35

To my eternal shame himself is a long floater fellow.

We got a new cistern downstairs about 5 years ago. Himself beingn one of these architectural wonders ,.
did not spec a ' loo with a good flush'

Result floaters so he has to go upstairs or else have good bucket of water to do the deed

Cindersdad Sun 08-Oct-17 15:49:12

Oh dear what a mix of opinion. We keep bleach in the brush holder pot, change the bleach regularly and replace the brush when it begins to look scruffy. Also flush the loo while using the brush, use it round the rim etc.

As for scooping any floaters - surely you are joking - just use the brush to push it round into the bend while flushing. Wiping the seat with loo paper is good, using cleaner etc. BUT NEVER FLUSH WIPES DOWN THE LOO AS THESE DO NOT DISINTEGRATE IN SEWAGE AND THAT CAUSES ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS FURTHER DOWN THE LINE.

One of my sister-in-law's friends scooped a floater then got stuck trying to throw it out of the window and had to be rescued!!!

And of course whatever you do wash your hands thoroughly.

Ana Sun 08-Oct-17 16:17:31

I scoop up the floater then wrap it in a toilet roll parcel and flush it away.

Maggiemaybe Sun 08-Oct-17 17:13:54

Well, I never. I didn't even know that people used loo brushes for - well, for this sort of thing! shock I only use mine when I'm cleaning the bathroom, for scrubbing round the bowl after I've had bleach in it for ten minutes or so. Then I flush the loo and rinse the brush under it. Then it's hidden away in the airing cupboard till the next time. And that's where it's staying now that I know what a visitor might do with it!

TriciaF Sun 08-Oct-17 17:26:11

I've had arguments with OH about toilet brushes - I hate them, he thinks they're great.And he likes that horrible blue stuff you pour in, supposed to clear it.
If there are any 'smears ' left after I've been there I get my hand in with a bit of toilet paper and rub it off while it's fresh. Then scrub my hand thoroughly.

Bellanonna Sun 08-Oct-17 17:38:58

I squirt thick bleach on any lingering skid marks, and also aim it under the rim. I squirt bleach into the bottom if that’s where the stains are. They disappear at the next flush.

Bellanonna Sun 08-Oct-17 17:39:28

Bottom of the bowl, that is .....

Grannyknot Sun 08-Oct-17 17:40:14

Bella grin

seacliff Sun 08-Oct-17 17:46:03

grinand a chuckle from me Bella