Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not a pleasant topic but it can happen to all of us....

(41 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 08-Oct-17 11:51:29

No I'm not talking about death but about everyday life. We all use public toilets and those in friends / relatives homes. The majority do provide loo brushes just in case but what can you do if you need the brush and their isn't one.

No one likes leaving a "floater" or "pan splatter" after a second or even third flush but what's the alternative? In public loos some pile in loads of paper to hide it but all that does is to make the problem worse for the next time. All for the lack of a loo brush!

Maggiemaybe Sun 08-Oct-17 18:17:13

Oh dear, and me too. grin

callgirl1 Sun 08-Oct-17 18:35:52

Cindersdad, is your sister -I law`s friend the one who was featured on the TalkTalk news page the other week? I couldn`t believe anyone would try to throw something like that out of the window, yuck!

Maranta Sun 08-Oct-17 18:40:50

I do the same as Cindersdad. As for scooping up a floater and wrapping it in loo paper - yuck!

dogsmother Sun 08-Oct-17 18:47:21

Can I just add (I love this post, ) for problematic floaters I have found a couple of jugs of very hot water helps. ?

shysal Sun 08-Oct-17 19:08:31

Having read about them on GN, I bought a Loogun a while ago. It works perfectly on skid marks. The video in the advert shows it being used on Vegemite inside a fish tank smile! Even my GCs use it when required, that is when they have tired of using it as a water pistol!
Before that I used the toilet paper method, never had a brush as I think they are disgusting!
www.loogun.com/

MissAdventure Sun 08-Oct-17 19:11:18

grin

Cindersdad Sun 08-Oct-17 19:22:47

callgirl1 - no idea if this was the same woman. The Lady in question went on a date and back to the guy's home and asked to use the loo - then the floater predicament ensued and got out of hand. Third hand tale probably true as she was a little tipsy.

My OH who is OTT cleaning says unclean fridges and microwaves harbour more germs than many loos. I've cleaned plenty of nasty things in my time and never yet been ill as a result; you just need to be careful and wash your hands.

dogsmother that would help but beware toilet plumbing and hot water do not always go well together. On holiday in Corfu we had an apartment where the toilet was plumbed in wrongly and flushed hot water - the result was a wrecked loo.

Oriel Sun 08-Oct-17 19:28:39

I always thought toilet brushes were used for cleaning purposes only - as in scrubbing around the bowl and under the rim. That's all ours is used for anyway.

I wouldn't have one if it were used for the purposes described in this thread.

SueDonim Sun 08-Oct-17 20:19:59

This is a good alternative to a toilet brush. www.amazon.co.uk/Toilet-Duck-Fresh-Brush-Starter/dp/B01LTHMH0I/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1507490284&sr=8-1&keywords=disposable+toilet+brushes&tag=gransnetforum-21

Deedaa Sun 08-Oct-17 20:31:25

I've been using the Toilet Duck brush for ages. Instead of their expensive little pads I often put a wedge of paper in it instead.

Menopaws Sun 08-Oct-17 21:02:51

When my washing up brush is knackered I buy a new one and use old one round the toilets then throw it away otherwise bleach in between time

hulahoop Sun 08-Oct-17 22:38:11

Made me giggle bella

Moocow Sun 08-Oct-17 23:15:50

Shysal, thanks for the link, I'll get one of those too.

oldgoat Sun 08-Oct-17 23:40:15

Well, if you do use a loo brush, please don't do what OH once did and leave it to soak, sticking up in the lavatory pan. I rushed in, sat down quick and the rest I can leave to your imaginationshock

MissAdventure Sun 08-Oct-17 23:43:28

grin old goat!