Gransnet forums

AIBU

Another GNer feels they have to leave

(147 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 11-Oct-17 06:28:08

Another one of us has felt the need to leave after finding their post had been printed (along with the whole thread) in the Daily Mail that’s is so blooming sad that someone feels so unsafe that they have to disappear
I think this is awful and leaves everyone feeling they are afraid to post anything now, I understand we are told when we join that this is public but how many of us thought public meant ending up in print in a national newspaper
What can we do ? Any ideas ?

annsixty Wed 11-Oct-17 11:45:44

I was quite shocked when I googled my username.
First thing up was a thread I started which was very personal.
Anyone then reading GN could put 2and 2 together and make 4. Me outed on all manner of things.

IngeJones Wed 11-Oct-17 11:50:54

I don't think leaving helps anyway, anything you have already posted will still be there! Just be careful not to post anything you wouldn't want the world to read.

Tegan2 Wed 11-Oct-17 12:10:16

I'd urge people not to leave but to just be careful about what they say. And regard the internet, not as something that will use you but can be used by you to get your point of view across in the knowledge that the powers that be read everything to gauge public opinion etc. Perhaps best not to do a profile as well because, even without one it's possible to know where someone lives. years ago I mentioned something on a racing forum that was totally anonymous [you couldn't even pm people on it] and a guy from my village said he knew exactly where I lived. Wasn't a problem [we still haven't actually met even though we use the same village shop!] but it just goes to show how a throwaway remark can give away so much in the way of personal detail....

Teetime Wed 11-Oct-17 12:22:07

I googled my username and got lots of golf things so that's Ok. I don't really talk about very personal stuff on here and stay away from contentious things as I only want this as light relief.

Nonnie Wed 11-Oct-17 12:35:23

It surprises me that so many were unaware that everything they post is public. I have noticed that fewer people are adding a profile which makes me think that more are aware that they can easily be identified.

There have been cases of people on GN being stalked by someone they know and information gained by said person used against them.

If in doubt, change your name and be very careful what you say on here or any other forum. I wrote something quite personal on Facebook this morning but thought better of it and deleted it.

humptydumpty Wed 11-Oct-17 12:37:16

I have changed my username this morning - not explicit before but could be used to find my posts by people who know me...

harrigran Wed 11-Oct-17 12:52:25

I saw a comment on FB this morning and the poster was my forename and surname, I could not remember posting but agreed with the sentiments, turns out she lives in Canada.

sunseeker Wed 11-Oct-17 13:46:05

I'm a luxury yacht!!

IngeJones Wed 11-Oct-17 14:23:59

How do you change your name, HumptyDumpty? I can't see a "My Account" link grin

Baggs Wed 11-Oct-17 14:26:46

We are not only told when we join that everything on the forums is public. We are also told that Gransnet has copyright of anything we write on the forums. I guess some people don't realise what that means so perhaps there is a need for HQ to give a bit more explanation.

Elegran Wed 11-Oct-17 14:38:09

IngeJones You get to your account via the "My Gransnet" link at the foot of the page, but to change your username you contact GNHQ.

IngeJones Wed 11-Oct-17 15:16:04

Oh I see. Stupidly I used my real name on here, so I really need to get a nom-de-plume

FarNorth Wed 11-Oct-17 15:27:56

If anyone is concerned about anything, please do email us - we'll be happy to change your username in this instance if it'll provide some sort of reassurance.

How about being able to change username ourselves, as often as we like, the same as on Mumsnet?

That would provide a lot more reassurance as it would be harder for a casual reader to link up separate posts to get a picture of someone's life.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Oct-17 15:34:40

We're looking into it FarNorth. Till now most gransnetters have preferred to keep one name so you know who you are talking to. But it might be worth revisiting if many of you feel differently.

tessagee Wed 11-Oct-17 15:56:20

Would it be possible for GNHQ to insert a reminder that this site is public at the heading above where it states 'Add your message here'?

It would perhaps make any of us pause and perhaps re-word a thread or response to a thread, some of which might be of a sensitive nature.

FarNorth Wed 11-Oct-17 15:58:33

Thanks for the swift response, Lara.

Till now, Gransnetters haven't had any choice about keeping the same username, unless they make a special request to GNHQ.

Being able to change doesn't mean everyone will want to do it, but it's always good to have options.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Oct-17 16:00:37

I think what people wanted previously, was before so much more knowledge came to light as to what is done with our posts Although all people realise public is public I don’t think many foresaw their posts ending up in the DM or indeed on Twitter or FB
Any FB ers can keep their own timeline as private as they wish it to be but GN posts can be shared on an open FB page without any option of being private That’s tough and many people who are upset and looking for solace or advice with online friends are feeling let down and very unsafe Laragransnet

FarNorth Wed 11-Oct-17 16:02:45

I second that, tessagee.

See also, the previous thread www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/a1239569-GNHQ-please-make-it-clear-that-these-forums-are-public

norose4 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:27:28

I am really shocked, I don't belong to any other sites on social media, I have just typed in my user name on google & my comments are on there , I feel as if I have been hoodwinked .Can anyone tell me how I leave Gransnet please?

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:39:08

All your comments will stay forever even after leaving

Elegran Wed 11-Oct-17 16:40:46

Leaving is very simple, norose, You could just stop posting or you could email GNHQ to end your membership.

But I have to ask an obvious question - have you really never ever read in the HQ fact pages about GN being a public forum? Or seen the many posts on the forums warning posters about saying anything that they would not want everyone to see?

norose4 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:43:49

Thanks Maryeliza54, I shall still leave, I feel hoodwinked & a bit stupid , I have just typed in a comment on Google from a thread I started & it came up, there for all to see with my user name & I am only on Gransnet I haven't joined any other social media.

norose4 Wed 11-Oct-17 16:46:46

Thanks Elegran, no I didn't expect to see it just by typing topic on Google especially not with my username. Ahh well as they say nothing's ever for nothing.!

Riverwalk Wed 11-Oct-17 16:50:01

I think people should stop scare-mongering. Yes, all old posts will stay around somewhere but newspapers are not likely to trawl through old threads.

Unless someone malevolent knows you're on GN and your username and they want to do some digging around, your old posts shouldn't come back to haunt you. If an old thread did somehow make the front-page in the DM, how likely is anyone to be recognised?

That said, some members do need saving from themselves with the amount of detailed information they give out!

Riverwalk Wed 11-Oct-17 16:51:31

Are you known to family, friends and neighbours as norose4?