Gransnet forums

AIBU

Another GNer feels they have to leave

(146 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 11-Oct-17 06:28:08

Another one of us has felt the need to leave after finding their post had been printed (along with the whole thread) in the Daily Mail that’s is so blooming sad that someone feels so unsafe that they have to disappear
I think this is awful and leaves everyone feeling they are afraid to post anything now, I understand we are told when we join that this is public but how many of us thought public meant ending up in print in a national newspaper
What can we do ? Any ideas ?

Anya Wed 11-Oct-17 06:58:04

I want to know what GNHQ think about this.

ninathenana Wed 11-Oct-17 07:05:10

GNHQ will say it's stated that it's a public forum and that's not going to change so that's the risk you take.
I don't know who's felt the need to leave but am sad that's the case.

whitewave Wed 11-Oct-17 07:07:59

They won’t comment - lots to do with the bottom line I expect.

After the last thread on this subject I try to be extremely careful about what I say, and keep my posts entirely impersonal. It is a shame but as was said last time it is easy to forget that these posts are open to the world, and not cosy chat over a cup of tea as it sometimes might appear.

Ladies safeguard your family!!,

cornergran Wed 11-Oct-17 07:11:24

I saw the comment from this person late last night and was left almost afraid for them as the fear and hurt felt both real and intense. There is an inevitability that we will all be more and more careful about posting.

Madgran77 Wed 11-Oct-17 07:44:02

I recognised a scenario in DM and thought it must just be the same person commenting to the DM. I didn't realise it came directly from GN! Not on!

Anya Wed 11-Oct-17 07:46:58

Anyone can look at threads without signing up and then just take a screenshot. Even I know how to do that.

Lazy journalism.

Alima Wed 11-Oct-17 07:58:26

Laura has commented on the" G'net thread in DM" thread. 21.43 last night. (Don't know how to link).

Marydoll Wed 11-Oct-17 07:59:49

I too am now afraid to post anything unless it's innocuous.
I get quite sad when I read that some posters are unhappy and have no friends.
GN is a lifeline and a source of comfort, now members will be afraid to post.
It's so easy to forget that this is a public forum.
It is indeed lazy journalism to screen shot, in fact the person responsible for the DM article has no right to call themselves a reporter.

Christinefrance Wed 11-Oct-17 08:05:51

Such a shame that people are leaving GN that's the down side of social media I suppose.

Maybe HQ should be a bit more robust with their warnings/advice about this.

Esspee Wed 11-Oct-17 08:11:21

Is there no way of copyrighting threads?

Marydoll Wed 11-Oct-17 08:11:39

Here is the link to Lara's comment last night.
www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1241271-Gransnet-thread-in-Daily-Mail-on-line-today?pg=4

Bbnan Wed 11-Oct-17 08:18:22

Very sad at this outcome a friendly place has become a foe...we will all have to be careful how we post....what a pity am sure lots of posters will leave.

Imperfect27 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:30:45

It does seem to come down to understanding that public really does mean public. Horrible when people feel unexpectedly exposed, but the site does make this apparent.

Some of us are more 'open' than others by choice. I think the rule of thumb has to be not to post anything you yourself couldn't cope with family /friends seeing if there is enough info there to identify you.

vampirequeen Wed 11-Oct-17 08:34:05

We're all anonymous. Whilst I think the DM is guilty of sloppy journalism, it's not as if they're tracking us down.

MissAdventure Wed 11-Oct-17 08:40:59

I don't think anything can be done. Short of saying absolutely nothing which could identify ourselves, which makes any conversation almost impossible.
There are forums which have an 'anonymous' feature, which members can use to post sensitive things, but that isn't planned for here. There could be one 'members' area which is made private, but that too, has been dismissed.

NanaandGrampy Wed 11-Oct-17 08:57:11

I believe on Mumsnet you can change your name just for a post? Or that might even be going anonymous - I forget. But if it can be done on what is almost an identical platform I see no reason why it couldn't be done here .

Elegran Wed 11-Oct-17 09:03:09

It seems that every few weeks there are posters who are surprised to learn that whatever they post is visible on the internet to anyone who cares to read it. Established posters frequently warn new ones against posting anything that can identify them, or stuff that they and their families would prefer to be kept private, but somehow it is easily forgotten that if you can read it yourself on the screen then so can everyone else

Surely everyone first joined Gransnet as a stranger because they read the posts online and found them interesting? Nothing has changed - people still find the posts interesting, and strangers can still read them, as can the families and neighbours of posters, and journalists needing copy to fill the hungry pages of their newspapers. That is how all those news snippets that are quoted and discussed in the forum find their way to you.

Cherrytree59 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:11:45

I deliberately did not post on that particular thread
I didn't know it was going to be lifted by the daily rag.
But I did know that it would be on Google forever and a day.

Elegran Wed 11-Oct-17 09:37:08

That is the nub of it, Cherrytree59 It is a known fact that nothing on the internet is biodegradable. Everything stays there forever and will come back to bite us on the bum. And it is cumulative - if you posted five years ago that unfortunately your new granddaughter was to be named Anastasia, three years ago that your son had been promoted to head of X company in Y town, a year ago that your DiL had bought a red Porsche and this summer that your granddaughter was about to start at her local nursery and was very taken with the murals of pandas all over the outside walls, the facts would all be there on the net - the daughter Anastasia of the head of X (surname easily found) goes to a nursery in Y town with pandas on the walls, and her mummy is likely to pick her up in a red Porsche. Anyone with evil in their heart could pick her out and know her name.

gillybob Wed 11-Oct-17 11:12:26

When you put it like that Elegran it sounds very scary indeed.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Oct-17 11:26:37

Hi all! If anyone is concerned about anything, please do email us - we'll be happy to change your username in this instance if it'll provide some sort of reassurance.

gillybob Wed 11-Oct-17 11:37:52

I have been gillybob since the beginning of GN but I am seriously considering changing my name. I did remove my profile information a while back but I am worried that over the years I posted lots of personal stuff about myself, my business and more importantly my family. I am quite sad.

Luckygirl Wed 11-Oct-17 11:42:08

Hopefully the leaver will return after a time - this often happens.

Cherrytree59 Wed 11-Oct-17 11:42:20

An interesting exercise....
Enter your GN user name into Google and you will see your internet paper trail.
You can also do the same using your RL name and where you may also find some interesting information.
I used Google to track down a family member to inform him that My DH had died.
I found them through a planning application.
It only took a few minutes.