Gransnet forums

AIBU

....to feel disappointed?

(132 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 13-Oct-17 18:09:34

When I lived in the nearby village (where we had been many years) I was for a long time part of a poetry group - there were five of us and I enjoyed it immensely. We would study a poet each month and write poetry on a particular theme. At the point where I moved to the next village, the person running it emailed us all to say that she thought it was time to end the group as people were so busy - fine, no problem. I owuld have been happy to go over there for the group, as indeed I continue to do for several other activities. I discovered today that in fact it has been continuing with 3 of them and it was a maneouvre to ditch me and another woman.

It is not the end of the world, and these 3 individuals took a rather poncy approach to poetry which did not always sit easily with me; but I find it very disappointing that they were so underhand about it. I now know that the other "reject" was upset about it.

It is always hard when people let you down, even over small things.

Elrel Sun 11-Feb-18 18:19:46

OMG - I have been flamed on Gransnet! Maybe 'slightly singed' would be more accurate. Happy to be included!!

DanniRae Sun 11-Feb-18 12:10:41

Yes Bathsheba - I agree with Bridgeit!!

Bathsheba Sat 10-Feb-18 20:00:48

Thank you Bridgeit smile

Bridgeit Sat 10-Feb-18 14:27:14

Lovely observation & post Bathsheba. ?

Luckygirl Sat 10-Feb-18 11:52:43

Good ole Gransnet indeed!

All human life is here!

Bathsheba Sat 10-Feb-18 10:18:22

And before any grammarians pick me up on it, I see a full stop where there should have been a comma, after 'ex friends'. Quite literally a slip of the finger!

Bathsheba Sat 10-Feb-18 10:16:13

I've been following this thread from its outset, but without commenting (sorry!). It has been one of the few threads which has taken me on a journey through a whole gamut of emotions - sadness for you LG and your distressed friend, anger at your poncy/poncey/pouncey ex friends. admiration for all the poets that have contributed, laughter at so much humour expressed, especially by said poets, shock and irritation at the nit-picking that has sadly infiltrated the thread, happiness that there has been such an outpouring of support and understanding from the majority of contributors, and finally relief that you feel you have resolved the situation.
Good ole Gransnet wink

Bridgeit Sat 10-Feb-18 08:58:42

Ohhps Now not no !

Bridgeit Sat 10-Feb-18 08:53:30

?Luckygirl girl it’s been a fascinating journey, which we wouldn’t have had without you. No where did I put my creative pen ?

Luckygirl Fri 09-Feb-18 21:41:13

Phew! grin - what have I started!

Bridgeit Fri 09-Feb-18 19:54:22

I have enjoyed the comments
from you all
GG, LG,NM,& poem Jalima

Just think we could have a pouncey,pounce,pouncing around until pouncing on someone who they themselves were pouncing around as a pounce whilst reading out aloud a poncey sounding poem?

MissAdventure Fri 09-Feb-18 19:38:33

Ponking sounds great! grin

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:33:43

presumably should be pronounced 'ponking' but that is down to the vagaries of the English language I suppose.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:32:47

pretentious or affected
eg"a poncey wine bar"

Luckygirl I would not say
Your spelling it has gone astray
Poncey has a silent 'e'
It qualifies the 'c' you see
It makes the 'c' a gentle sound
Unlike the 'k' which is not found

#notpoetlaureate

and apologies as one should never pick someone up on spelling or grammar

'Poncing around' as used by DD means they are just not getting on with the job properly (something which annoys her intensely).

Nelliemoser Fri 09-Feb-18 19:29:31

Does anyone remember the Hancocks Half Hour episode with the avant guard poetry reading?

Luckylegs9 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:09:40

Luckygirl, the way I see it, why would you wanting to be with anyone who can be so unkind. Would you do what they did? Do you want to be that sort of person. There are more good people out there, please do not let them get you, they are not important, you were fine before you met them and you are now.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:48:44

It doesn't help that is was misspelt - no criticism for that just we can all do it, especially me - but poncey (with an e and without Bridgeit's 'u') is derogatory slang, meaning ostentatious, pretentious, or effeminate. Most other close spellings have something to do with sex so, like Bridgeit I assumed this was LG's meaning. Could be wrong though.

I think I would see 'pouncy' as someone who had a tendency to jump on you (from pounce) although pouncing is something I do when painting. You might remember it if you have ever stencilled.

You just have to love our language don't you.

Bridgeit Fri 09-Feb-18 17:11:49

Yes you are right , pouncing around in some ‘new clothes ‘for example would be showing off ,parading around , can be carried out seriously or jokingly ,depending on how poncy you are or want to be ??

Bridgeit Fri 09-Feb-18 17:07:55

It means ‘Pretentious ‘ Alexa or as the saying goes (in an old sit com) Pretentious Moi.?
In this case the ladies mentioned had a view / standard of what was acceptable to them as Poetry & didn’t think the new ladies ‘cut the muster’ so to speak .
It seems to be more prevalent in the arts world.

Alexa Fri 09-Feb-18 17:01:40

GracesGran, I have actually not joined one group because the academic level was too low for me . I have left another group as the level was too high for me to contribute or learn.

In the second case I informed the tutor why I was leaving and he quite understood.
I still do not know what poncy means and gather it's derogatory. I had a vague idea it meant flouncing about in silly clothes.

Alexa Fri 09-Feb-18 16:37:58

This may seem odd, but I don't known what ' poncy' means. I have seldom heard the word and I remember no context for it.confused

Luckygirl Fri 09-Feb-18 13:40:24

More splendid poets!

There have been some very good outcomes from this airing of views between the people involved. A lesson for me on being honest and open I think.

Bridgeit Fri 09-Feb-18 11:46:29

? Good one

DanniRae Fri 09-Feb-18 11:25:56

GransNets great, I love it dearly
Some don't - I see that clearly
30 GNer's supporting Lucky
One is not - is she Plucky?
No, just not a happy Netter
Go for a walk - You might feel better!!

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Feb-18 09:57:57

As one of the 'select band' - I just thought that what the three in the poetry group did was underhand and unkind - they lied and made two other people unhappy and one in particular very distressed (the other lady).

Yes, there are always two sides to a story, yes, we only know one - which is what happens with many problems aired on GN. However, in this case, the facts seem to have been presented as facts and not, as on some threads, as an emotional outpouring.

You wondered if the other three in the group could be reading this Gracesgran - perhaps they may but people like that hardly ever recognise themselves as ever being in the wrong.
Do you have an inkling of who they could be then, if you think they may be reading this?