Gransnet forums

AIBU

....to feel disappointed?

(131 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 13-Oct-17 18:09:34

When I lived in the nearby village (where we had been many years) I was for a long time part of a poetry group - there were five of us and I enjoyed it immensely. We would study a poet each month and write poetry on a particular theme. At the point where I moved to the next village, the person running it emailed us all to say that she thought it was time to end the group as people were so busy - fine, no problem. I owuld have been happy to go over there for the group, as indeed I continue to do for several other activities. I discovered today that in fact it has been continuing with 3 of them and it was a maneouvre to ditch me and another woman.

It is not the end of the world, and these 3 individuals took a rather poncy approach to poetry which did not always sit easily with me; but I find it very disappointing that they were so underhand about it. I now know that the other "reject" was upset about it.

It is always hard when people let you down, even over small things.

Christinefrance Fri 13-Oct-17 18:21:48

Yes I agree Luckygirl why could there not have been some discussion within the group about the way things were going. I have recently been at the receiving end of adverse comments on FB by people who could easily have talked to me in person about the issues that concerned them. I also dislike this under hand approach.

Nannarose Fri 13-Oct-17 18:31:05

Yes, I would feel upset. Are you in touch with the other 'reject'(!)?
A couple of people approached our local library about setting up a poetry group - libraries have to prove their worth so are usually very glad to help. About 6 of us now meet monthly, and I really enjoy it!

Maggiemaybe Fri 13-Oct-17 18:40:49

Very underhand and very unkind, Luckygirl. You're better off without people like that in your life. I hope you and the other ex member manage to get another group up and running.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 13-Oct-17 18:43:11

That sounds horrible, luckygirl and I'm not surprised you find it hard. Doesn't sound as if the group deserved to have you and the other 'reject'! flowers

BBbevan Fri 13-Oct-17 18:51:53

Let's hope one of them reads this and recognises themselves. The encouraging responses to your post will put them in their place. You are better off without them Luckygirl

BlueBelle Fri 13-Oct-17 19:00:13

Feel hurt for you Luckygirl I d be mortified what nasty underhand people
Hope you can get another group going with some others maybe

Luckygirl Fri 13-Oct-17 19:17:41

Thanks all. It is the sense that people have been underhand that troubles me. I had thought better of them. But....onwards and upwards! There are a lot worse things going on in my life at the moment! - all things are relative.

Menopaws Fri 13-Oct-17 19:56:45

Write a blinding, near to the knuckle poem and send it to the leader of the pack, then set up your own group!

Luckygirl Fri 13-Oct-17 20:01:56

Now that's an idea........grin

MawBroon Fri 13-Oct-17 20:12:46

Oh how tempting...grin

There was once a pome group run by Luck
Ygirl who’s been treated like muck
Small minded and mean
And not what they seem
In her place I would not give a f*

In the absence of a poetry evening class
Some bitches invented a version of farce
While they stuck up their nose
Writing poems and odes
Which I think they should stick up their a**

Horrid to be betrayed by so-called friends but surely Facebook could use some poetic contributions?

Bellanonna Fri 13-Oct-17 20:24:07

There you go, Luckygirl. Brilliant!

FarNorth Fri 13-Oct-17 20:31:42

Couldn't they just have said "We're taking the group in a more poncy direction now so we know you'll be better off without us."
They sound pathetic.

cornergran Fri 13-Oct-17 20:44:13

mawb sums it up perfectly luckygirl I'm sorry you've been upset by this and to answer your question, no, you aren't being unreasonable to be disappointed. In fact that is a very measured response. I think I'd be far more colourful.

nanasam Fri 13-Oct-17 20:54:17

You should keep in touch with the other dumped member and create your own group. You don't need nasty, up-their-own-a** peeps. Stay with friends who value you.

dbDB77 Fri 13-Oct-17 20:56:17

There once was a poet of class
MawBroon was a most southern lass
In the north she was read
And natives scratched their head
'Cos their "class" rhymes with a donkey- an ass!
grin
Lucky girl - I think you're better off without those underhand people - hope you find a more welcoming group.

petra Fri 13-Oct-17 21:12:39

Luckygirl
As we say here in Essex: Bastards.......what are they, bastards.

Luckygirl Fri 13-Oct-17 21:54:06

Just to illustrate the situation - there was a local poetry reading where one of the poncies read, and her poem consisted of just one word - pretentious or what!? - and I cannot even remember what that word was!

However, one of the other members (who started the group) is very erudite and writes brilliant poetry, some of it very witty, and I felt that I learned a great deal from her - that is why I kept going.

Love the limericks! - I am cogitating! grin

I had felt that they were kind and decent people, and it is that which I find so hard to swallow. Ah well - how wrong can I be!?

Imperfect27 Sat 14-Oct-17 07:00:29

Luckygirl - seems you had a lucky escape to me. The 'one word poem ' reading experience says it all! Leave them to their ponce and go on enjoying your creativity.

Maybe there should be an official 'poet's corner' on GN - definitely a lot of talent out there!

Luckygirl Sat 14-Oct-17 09:41:07

I agree about the Poets' Corner and did try to get that going once.

Tottylimejuice Sat 14-Oct-17 10:19:29

Thats awful Lucky, some people are just so horrible, start your own group if you can.
Maw, I love your poems, fabulous.
I find that people can be really cliquey, I joined a group in our village, but they would make arrangements with each other for lifts for the next meeting, excluding me and there was definitely an undercurrent, I am not thick skinned when people are clearly being unkind.

MawBroon Sat 14-Oct-17 10:32:19

dbDB77 grin
I hope no actual donkeys were harmed in the writing of that limerick!

MawBroon Sat 14-Oct-17 10:33:41

“Hesitating to use the word bitches
But their odes will never earn riches
A pome of one word
Is frankly absurd
The pretentiousness has me in stitches”

Imperfect27 Sat 14-Oct-17 10:59:05

Maw [grin}

Luckygirl Sat 14-Oct-17 11:03:22

grin - and one from me too!