Gransnet forums

AIBU

Aggressive new neighbour

(35 Posts)
Marieeliz Tue 17-Oct-17 17:25:53

I have another new neighbour, moved in 6 weeks ago. Second since my old neighbour took poorly. We are nice and quiet and good neighbours here. She has been aggressive with me from the word go. Loud parties till 2 pm. Fortunately, one of the neighbours has CCTV I was assulted by one of her relations and had to call the police. Since then she has got worse. Another loud party last Saturday woke up nearly everyone.

Came in today and found a plant pot of mine thrown in the street with a winter Chrysanthimum. When I thought it was the wind and put it back, she came out and said what are you doing with that? You are putting it on my land.

It is actually mine, she then asked where her Barrell was, the Barrell was mine it had pansies in and I had swapped it with the Chrysanthiumum. The area is a drain and I had put wrought iron around it, I really should have put it the other way around but the original tenant was 90 and had a large bin so I was helping her by not putting the fencing in the correct place.

I have now phoned the wrought iron people to come out and put it the right way around which will include the bin in my property where it should be. I have also spoken to the Housing Trust and Safer Communities. This person is a professional in NHS and not young but a mature person. I am nearly 80 what a way to treat an older person when you are in a supposed "caring" position

I am an owner occupier and there are very few Trust houses left in this area. Thought I was getting a nice settled mature person but obviously not

Coconut Wed 18-Oct-17 17:22:26

I would advise that absolutely every little issue is written down, with dates, times, names of witnesses etc Speak to everyone, Citizens Advice, local politician, Age Concern may also be able to help, do you have community Police to advise you ? Also, if the Housing Association are not responding to you, ring a local news paper, the HA will soon respond to bad publicity. People like this are just bullies, they rely on intimidation to control others around them. I so feel for you, no one should have to live in fear of verbal or physical aggression. Good luck ...

stayanotherday Wed 18-Oct-17 21:10:25

I agree that you need to log everything as your MP, Environmental Health and everybody else will ask you to do this. Horrible.

radicalnan Thu 19-Oct-17 09:06:53

If she is a Trust tenant then her lease should state that she has to be a reansable tenant and they can tke action against her, so do insist that they sort this out and not you. They will be able to use a log of incidents if you keep one as evidence and CCTV etc. You are fortunte that she does not own the property, in general housing trusts only give a permanent tenancy to people who have lived in a property for a year without causing any problems.

Anya Thu 19-Oct-17 09:22:58

Agree that you must keep a comprehensive log of everything that happens. Also I suggest you write to the Trust, telling them you are doing this and that if there is any aggressive action that causes you injury, because of their failure to monitor the situation, then you will hold them culpable.

Tell them you are giving a copy of the letter to a trusted friend with instructions to hand it to the police and the media if the situation escalates.

The only real power lies with the Trust who can remove her from the property. You need to make your situation clear. You also need to add that if they reveal to the tenent who the complainant is and this results in more trouble, then the same applies ie the letter will be made public.

Marieeliz Fri 20-Oct-17 11:36:57

I have been in touch with Safer Communities and they are going to get in touch with PCSO and Housing Trust, who have not come back to me after initial phone call

I have put off getting the railing done until after the Housing Trust get involved and tell her that it belongs to me and she only has access. Otherwise it will all kick off again and as it is coming to the weekend the relatives would be round.

HT do not seem to inform tenants re what is expected of them or the tenants don't read it. The last tenants, who she swopped houses with were there 18 months and I also had an issue over the flying freehold. She was in a four bed house and has swopped to a two bed.

The previous tenants father completely re furbished it and they are now doing the same to her previous property. HT seem delighted that someone else is upgrading their properties.

GillT57 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:14:12

I don't know why everyone is so surprised that a nurse could be so awful as a neighbour, they are like everyone else, with good and bad amongst them, Personally, I have never ascribed to the 'all nurses are angels' as pushed by tabloid press, I have met some fantastic ones, and some lazy indifferent ones who should never have been in the ward. I do hope you get this sorted, nobody should have to have their daily living ruined by selfish and aggressive neighbours.

Marieeliz Fri 20-Oct-17 16:51:49

Thank you everyone, Safer Communities will contact Housing Trust and PCSO,'s hopefully they will tell her that the front she claims is hers is mine. Forge has rung me today to say they are ready to do the work. I have explained to them that I need HT to be involved first.

Someone did tell me to state that if there was any problem with the re jig of the fence "Solicitors would be involved" and to tell HT this.

Elrel Fri 20-Oct-17 17:37:36

OP - so sorry you're having to experience this. Can you get your good neighbour to show the party CCTV, with you being manhandled, to the HT? They sound a horrible family.

stayanotherday Fri 20-Oct-17 21:22:29

The neighbour would have been given a booklet of the rules but some don't read them or do and ignore as they think they can do as they like. Glad you've moved things forward. Please continue to record details of any more disturbances. Shame you're going through this, you should have peace at your time of life.